Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,036 of 1,177
Hey y'all,

So it's been a while since these were out and I wanted to know what the consensus was. I am in the market for a pair of closed backs to replace my WH-1000XM3s, recently I purchased a pair of IER-M9s and have been loving them to the moon and back but I need a set of over ears for when IEMs become too tiring for the ears. I just was curious because many people say that the predecessor 1a was a better headphone, but here and on Reddit it seems like people prefer the new 1am2.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated ☺️

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #1,038 of 1,177
Got them new/open box for $150 cad, I'm in love! Comfort and build is great, listening to metal and other instrumental songs was a joy. Now My XM3s will be an airplane only headphone from now on. :)

ZX300 balanced and IER-M9 as a companion is a killer team, so happy with my setup!

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,040 of 1,177
How's the IER-M9 sound? Does it have that Sony sound signature? I've been looking at those as a pairing too.
I’ve tried a couple of kilo buck TOTLs in store, the Andromeda, Solaris, Z1R, and M9. To my ears the M9 just sounded the most natural and lifelike of the bunch, a more warm, laid back and relaxed sound while still delivering punches where they are present. They definitely sound more balanced than the 1am2s. I honestly can’t praise them enough, I def recommend.

One thing Ill note is that they have an interesting fit. The way I and a lot of people wear them is to put the tips just outside the ear canal, while not shoving them in to prevent a vacuum seal. This however doesn’t cause any issues, I ride the subway with these almost everyday and they block out a lot of noise while being really comfortable.

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #1,041 of 1,177
So I got a pair of these today, and I have to say I'm not impressed by the first few hours of trials. They do go deep down on bass, but they mud up pretty much the mids and the highs are not as sparkling as meny people say. I'd not spend the word "clarity" for these Sony, althouhg they must be apppreciated very much by those who mainly listen to EDM. The Senn HD300 Pro are way, way, way better if you are looking for a pair of hp that have great bass but still retain transparency and soundstage capabilities.
The Sony would be good if they costed no more than 60 euros. Disappointed.

Apr 7, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,042 of 1,177
So I got a pair of these today, and I have to say I'm not impressed by the first few hours of trials. They do go deep down on bass, but they mud up pretty much the mids and the highs are not as sparkling as meny people say. I'd not spend the word "clarity" for these Sony, althouhg they must be apppreciated very much by those who mainly listen to EDM. The Senn HD300 Pro are way, way, way better if you are looking for a pair of hp that have great bass but still retain transparency and soundstage capabilities.
Which amplifier and dac do you use?

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,045 of 1,177
I wasn’t impressed when I demo’d them too, I’m curious what you will think after longer period of listening with them. They certainly aren’t the most amazing pair for the price, but when all things considered esp their size and comfort I think they can be a valuable addition to your collection.

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,047 of 1,177
I wasn’t impressed when I demo’d them too, I’m curious what you will think after longer period of listening with them. They certainly aren’t the most amazing pair for the price, but when all things considered esp their size and comfort I think they can be a valuable addition to your collection.
Uhmmm, tell you the truth, I'm not impressed by the pads size either as for comfort. But they do are light.

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #1,049 of 1,177
Uhmmm, tell you the truth, I'm not impressed by the pads size either as for comfort. But they do are light.
I am consistent with you that they sound bad without amps/dac.
All my headphones that you read in signature sound bad if I connect them to my Samsung note 4 or PC.
With entry level amp/dac system and equalizer, travel to other planets.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,050 of 1,177
None. With hp designed for mobile use and with so low an impedance, I'd expect them to perform decently as is.

Yeah, but the sound source can make a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back