Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #421 of 1,177
Thanks, but I decided to tell my wife she can send them back. Reading through this thread, the headphones do not seem to be worth the extra expenses for a DAC (Fiio K3) that I can keep a shorter cable and use them balanced, an adapter 4.4mm to 2.5mm male and the high cost of balanced cables in the future. I could understand it with better headphones but not something that according to lots of users here is just an ok sounding headphone. Not even going to bother to open the box

No worries. :)
I think it's a good headphone with a few things going for it, but I returned it myself in favour of the Yamaha HPH-MT8, which is a very different sound signature.

I haven't heard the MDR-1R, but I have heard the XM and XM3 via Bluetooth (the same source), the XM also plugged into SMSL M3.
I found that both XMs sounded quite bassy via Bluetooth, not so plugged in.
The XM3 sounded about as bassy via Bluetooth, but perhaps somewhat cleaner.
Mids and treble we alright on both. With both, I found the bass to be too much and my ears were getting fatigued rather quickly.
Wired, the XM wasn't particularly nice. Kind of half-its-price-range sort of sound.
The noise cancelling was really good, though.

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #422 of 1,177
No worries. :)
I think it's a good headphone with a few things going for it, but I returned it myself in favour of the Yamaha HPH-MT8, which is a very different sound signature.

I haven't heard the MDR-1R, but I have heard the XM and XM3 via Bluetooth (the same source), the XM also plugged into SMSL M3.
I found that both XMs sounded quite bassy via Bluetooth, not so plugged in.
The XM3 sounded about as bassy via Bluetooth, but perhaps somewhat cleaner.
Mids and treble we alright on both. With both, I found the bass to be too much and my ears were getting fatigued rather quickly.
Wired, the XM wasn't particularly nice. Kind of half-its-price-range sort of sound.
The noise cancelling was really good, though.
Thanks again! So I can write off the XM3 as well - man I really hate headphones. Way to much option available and too many variables (amp, dac, cable and so on). I also do not want to spend a big amount of money for something that yes, I surely would enjoy and I do recognize good sound quality from bad sound quality, but I have interests that are way more important to me than headphones and that eat a lot of money. Also because knowing myself, If I get really good headphones, I will then invest money at least in a dac too :D Was the same when I decided to upgrade our speakers in the living room :D
Guess I will have to do some research to see what options are there for around 300 Euro

Dec 26, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #423 of 1,177
This series provides a perfect headphone design in terms of comfort/ design for portability. I was hoping they would've made a a magnesium/ aluminum coated LCP 40mm.

Even at 599.99 that would be the ultimate portable

I have the 1R silver Japanese version (40mn non aluminum coated LCP)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #424 of 1,177
I am using the newer mdr-1am2 with a Fiio q5 and using an adapter for the sony 4.4mm balanced cable. I will be ordering the fiio am3b amp to keep a 4.4mm for my balanced iem and headphone connection

I do notice the difference between balanced and not.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #425 of 1,177
Using a somewhat newly acquired 1AM2 out of a pretty new ZX300 and I love this damn headphone. I loved it so much it made me buy a Z7M2 at nearly full retail. I used the Z7M2 for a month and sent it back today. I like the sound of the 1AM2 much better. I love the powerful bass and in your face sound signature of the 1AM2, the Z7M2 was too spacious for me and made the sound come off as dull.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #426 of 1,177
Using a somewhat newly acquired 1AM2 out of a pretty new ZX300 and I love this damn headphone. I loved it so much it made me buy a Z7M2 at nearly full retail. I used the Z7M2 for a month and sent it back today. I like the sound of the 1AM2 much better. I love the powerful bass and in your face sound signature of the 1AM2, the Z7M2 was too spacious for me and made the sound come off as dull.
I agree about the sony mdr-1am2, I can now choose between it and the Fiio fh5 to work with the fiio q5. I definitely choose the sony for traveling and the fiio at home.

In ear monitors are small but take more time for me to pack and unpack. The sony is light and easier to pack and unpack with less time cable mess. I use a case that can pack the q5, earphones, and cable.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #427 of 1,177
I agree about the sony mdr-1am2, I can now choose between it and the Fiio fh5 to work with the fiio q5. I definitely choose the sony for traveling and the fiio at home.

In ear monitors are small but take more time for me to pack and unpack. The sony is light and easier to pack and unpack with less time cable mess. I use a case that can pack the q5, earphones, and cable.
Yeah I love IEMs too but you're right, they are a pain in the ass to manage on the go. I also hate having to constantly unplug one from my ear in order to speak to people etc. Much easier to just pull down an over ear rather than having to pull out and reinsert an IEM. Especially an IEM that requires a tight seal to sound good. I like the Apple EarPods in that regard since they are easy to put in. Don't sound bad either for a headphone that comes packaged in.

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #429 of 1,177
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Plug-Adapter-for-SONY-NW-ZX300A-PHA-2A-iBasso-Amplifier-Cord-Jack-2018/232903552381?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=532429624485&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Cable Plug Adapter for SONY NW-ZX300A/PHA-2A/iBasso Amplifier Cord Jack 2018
This adapter has arrived. Very good quality. 4.4 female / 2.5 male So I can use Sony on A&K KANN and ES-100 2.5 mm TRRS outputs. With KANN there is a huge difference in sound / stage / detail. I can recommend : gold plated connectors / mountable metal housing, silver cable, patent quality. (who bought Senn HD660S as well) :)
sony balance adapt.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #430 of 1,177
I read some have had poor results with these type of cables at this price and assured quality cables cost $50, For this reason I ordered a Fiio am3b amp module. I hope to have it next month for my stock Sony 4.4mm cable and new fiio 4.4mm balanced cable for my fh5.

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #431 of 1,177
Well, did an 180 and decided to give the MDR-1AM2 a go. Bought a Fiio K3 to be able to use the balanced cable and hi res flacs and dsd.
I did a comparison with my MDR-1R and have to say that yes, it is more warm and has way more bass compared to the 1R. But it is also more clear and you can distinguish the mids and highs way better. For example with the 1R I could barely hear the harpsichord while with the 1AM2 clearly positions it. I did the comparison using the original cables (never used the cable of the 1R so it was new as well) and only the 3.5mm jack. I used flacs and dsd only. Music tested: Anne Akiko Meyers, John Coltrane, Avishai Cohen, Run the Jewels, Timberlake, Metallica, Slipknot.
It also isolates way better than the 1R.John

And man, the K3 is really a gorgeous piece of hardware for a very small price!!

Edit: And yes, I will be keeping the MDR-1AM2 and the Fiio K3

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #432 of 1,177
Hi everyone!!

I read through this entire thread a few days ago and I'm so happy to say that I now own these babies!

First impressions:

1. They look gorgeous! Looks premium to me, but I could understand why others may have expected something more "classy" using different materials.

2. YES, they are EXTREMELY LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

3. THEY DON'T CLAMP MY HEAD and I actually have NO discomfort wearing my glasses with these. Tis a miracle because I've never had headphones that provided me this. So comfy!

4. Sounds pretty great out of the box, but I sure as heck ordered me the Meze 99 earpads for just in case, since I listen to mostly neo soul/hip hop and desire clean and deep bass. I actually REALLY like how I can kind of nestle my ears within the stock pads due to their shape. That's because I have smaller ears, though. The backs of my ears are oh so slightly touching the pads.

5. The 3.5mm cable looks well built and it's the nicest cable I've ever gotten with my headphones.

I only wish they folded up to be much more compact and that there was a hard case included. I purchased the case that a few of you recommended on Amazon... it sucks that I had to shell out another $50 for these headphones for ear pads and a case, but I got them at a bargain at $198.

Adding to that, the smooth traction of the adjustable band is bittersweet... I love how easily it moves, but I hate how easily it moves! If you catch my drift.

I also recently purchased the Cayin N3 and a majority of my iTunes library is AIFF. I'm slowly but surely making my way up to having a decent audiophile set up. So glad I have two hi-res audio tech. For a second, I thought about getting a DAC for my Macbook Pro, but then I remembered my N3 can also serve as a DAC!! Yay me :) The only other thing I need to start researching is a decent OTG device I can use with the N3.

Oh, just one more thing - I own the Brainwavz Hybrid earpads from when I had my V6. I may test them out on the 1am2 later today. I'll keep you all posted!

***EDIT***

Can anyone recommend a great 4.4mm to balanced 3.5mm adapter? I really want to use the balanced cable. I did see the Sony MUC-M12SB1cable being suggested on another site, but can’t find much more info that actually explains WHY I should get it.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #433 of 1,177
Hi everyone!!

I read through this entire thread a few days ago and I'm so happy to say that I now own these babies!

First impressions:

1. They look gorgeous! Looks premium to me, but I could understand why others may have expected something more "classy" using different materials.

2. YES, they are EXTREMELY LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

3. THEY DON'T CLAMP MY HEAD and I actually have NO discomfort wearing my glasses with these. Tis a miracle because I've never had headphones that provided me this. So comfy!

4. Sounds pretty great out of the box, but I sure as heck ordered me the Meze 99 earpads for just in case, since I listen to mostly neo soul/hip hop and desire clean and deep bass. I actually REALLY like how I can kind of nestle my ears within the stock pads due to their shape. That's because I have smaller ears, though. The backs of my ears are oh so slightly touching the pads.

5. The 3.5mm cable looks well built and it's the nicest cable I've ever gotten with my headphones.

I only wish they folded up to be much more compact and that there was a hard case included. I purchased the case that a few of you recommended on Amazon... it sucks that I had to shell out another $50 for these headphones for ear pads and a case, but I got them at a bargain at $198.

Adding to that, the smooth traction of the adjustable band is bittersweet... I love how easily it moves, but I hate how easily it moves! If you catch my drift.

I also recently purchased the Cayin N3 and a majority of my iTunes library is AIFF. I'm slowly but surely making my way up to having a decent audiophile set up. So glad I have two hi-res audio tech. For a second, I thought about getting a DAC for my Macbook Pro, but then I remembered my N3 can also serve as a DAC!! Yay me :) The only other thing I need to start researching is a decent OTG device I can use with the N3.

Oh, just one more thing - I own the Brainwavz Hybrid earpads from when I had my V6. I may test them out on the 1am2 later today. I'll keep you all posted!

From what I understand, the 1AM2 pads actually clip into place, do these aftermarket pads have the clips? My ears are actually kinda crammed into the stock pads but even still they're the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. I love them.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #434 of 1,177
Long time since I've posted here but I feel compelled to write.

I finally reached my endgame headphones a few years back; the MDR-1A, so naturally I was excited to hear about the MDR-1AM2, and as soon as they went on sale for £150 (the same price I paid for my 1A) I got them, expecting improvements all round, with the intention to sell the MDR-1A soon after, easiest purchase decision ever!

But I have now returned the MDR-1AM2 and will be keeping my MDR-1A. Why?

The MDR-1AM2 are simultaneously better and worse than the MDR-1A. By far, my biggest disappointment is actually with Sony. :thinking:

Only owners of the MDR-1A are going to know this, but all things considered, I feel they have predominately focused on making the new version cheaper, not better.

Just from visuals, anybody could tell that the 1AM2 is made with less parts - which I don't have a problem with actually, but then they go and make the carrying bag fabric instead of pleather, it's a laughable downgrade and it sets a really bad first impression. But the fact they had the nerve to raise the price as well, is unforgivable.

Then I got an amazing balanced cable with the 1AM2, that I can't even use... so effectively I lost a cable as part of the purchase.

So the optics or the extras aren't great, but that isn't what will made me return anything. It's that Sony fixed the one thing that made me pick the MDR-1A in the first place - the sound.

Here's what I think the key changes are:

The resonating chamber is smaller on the 1AM2 - bass has lost its depth and slam, supposedly the bass is tighter but this difference wasn't perceptible. The sound is less exciting and the fun of the 1A has been traded for balance. Reminds me why I dislike the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0.

The midrange has been brought forward slightly, okay, but it further reduces ability to run the 1AM2 louder without fatigue. I would still choose this signature over Sennheisers mind.

No perceptible difference in highs, no perceptible difference in transparency. I thought this was an improved driver, 2 years of further development?

What do I think the 1AM2 do better than the 1A?

They are even lighter! and just as comfortable (although the ear-pads still need modifying for extra depth). Seriously though, 1AM2 wins the contest for the highest SQ in the lightest circumferential headphones available.

There's no more squeaking, and the pleather on the ear cups now extends over the edges, which prevents scratches when placing the headphone down on a desk. Altogether the 1AM2 feels more robust for travelling - not that I consider any over-ear headphones fit for travelling.

Even with it's flaws, the previous 1A is still the champion for me. It's now exceptional value thanks to the price reduction and I would urge everybody getting the 1AM2 just to buy those instead, while you can.

Even without the value argument, I would still pick the 1A because I will not accept the newer 1AM2 being less enjoyable, just to solve a few negligible issues with the old model.

If Sony continues this direction to further mature the MDR-1 range over the next few years, they are entering a competition which they will lose. They will be on the muddy side of the critical balanced centrists. Whereby they should be positioning themselves as the highest quality consumer sound signature.

To those with a taste for balanced headphones... are you really going to shortlist Sony? or go straight to Audio-Technica or AKG? Sony might be pushing their sound signature into a balanced segment, but it will never be as transparent as others with their (correct) fixation on bass feel. Balanced sound is not what I bought these for. :ok_hand:

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #435 of 1,177
Long time since I've posted here but I feel compelled to write.

I finally reached my endgame headphones a few years back; the MDR-1A, so naturally I was excited to hear about the MDR-1AM2, and as soon as they went on sale for £150 (the same price I paid for my 1A) I got them, expecting improvements all round, with the intention to sell the MDR-1A soon after, easiest purchase decision ever!

But I have now returned the MDR-1AM2 and will be keeping my MDR-1A. Why?

The MDR-1AM2 are simultaneously better and worse than the MDR-1A. By far, my biggest disappointment is actually with Sony. :thinking:

Only owners of the MDR-1A are going to know this, but all things considered, I feel they have predominately focused on making the new version cheaper, not better.

Just from visuals, anybody could tell that the 1AM2 is made with less parts - which I don't have a problem with actually, but then they go and make the carrying bag fabric instead of pleather, it's a laughable downgrade and it sets a really bad first impression. But the fact they had the nerve to raise the price as well, is unforgivable.

Then I got an amazing balanced cable with the 1AM2, that I can't even use... so effectively I lost a cable as part of the purchase.

So the optics or the extras aren't great, but that isn't what will made me return anything. It's that Sony fixed the one thing that made me pick the MDR-1A in the first place - the sound.

Here's what I think the key changes are:

The resonating chamber is smaller on the 1AM2 - bass has lost its depth and slam, supposedly the bass is tighter but this difference wasn't perceptible. The sound is less exciting and the fun of the 1A has been traded for balance. Reminds me why I dislike the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0.

The midrange has been brought forward slightly, okay, but it further reduces ability to run the 1AM2 louder without fatigue. I would still choose this signature over Sennheisers mind.

No perceptible difference in highs, no perceptible difference in transparency. I thought this was an improved driver, 2 years of further development?

What do I think the 1AM2 do better than the 1A?

They are even lighter! and just as comfortable (although the ear-pads still need modifying for extra depth). Seriously though, 1AM2 wins the contest for the highest SQ in the lightest circumferential headphones available.

There's no more squeaking, and the pleather on the ear cups now extends over the edges, which prevents scratches when placing the headphone down on a desk. Altogether the 1AM2 feels more robust for travelling - not that I consider any over-ear headphones fit for travelling.

Even with it's flaws, the previous 1A is still the champion for me. It's now exceptional value thanks to the price reduction and I would urge everybody getting the 1AM2 just to buy those instead, while you can.

Even without the value argument, I would still pick the 1A because I will not accept the newer 1AM2 being less enjoyable, just to solve a few negligible issues with the old model.

If Sony continues this direction to further mature the MDR-1 range over the next few years, they are entering a competition which they will lose. They will be on the muddy side of the critical balanced centrists. Whereby they should be positioning themselves as the highest quality consumer sound signature.

To those with a taste for balanced headphones... are you really going to shortlist Sony? or go straight to Audio-Technica or AKG? Sony might be pushing their sound signature into a balanced segment, but it will never be as transparent as others with their (correct) fixation on bass feel. Balanced sound is not what I bought these for. :ok_hand:

Did you ever own the 1r? Is the 1A .!am2a lot better for musicality? I think one is coated aluminum LCP vss just LCP. Plain LCP has a very romantic sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back