Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #452 of 1,177
hello everyone,
it seems to me that the inside earcup looks small (from pictures, no store in my area carry these for demo so i'd have to amazon it)
I dont have big ears, quite normal/average size id say. for reference the Bang & Olufsen H6 (2nd Gen) fits my ears nicely. they slightly tuck under the pads.

has anyone tried both these and the B&O H6 2nd gen for size compare?

also sound compare too :) if its not too much to ask. thanks!!

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #454 of 1,177
Actually, I have a question, I was using these headphones mobile, and accidentally dropped a few drops of sports drink on the earcup, and it didn't went into where the driver is, just the part outside where the earcup connects to the headphones, so I immediately wiped it off, it works perfectly now, but should I be worried for issues?

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #455 of 1,177
Actually, I have a question, I was using these headphones mobile, and accidentally dropped a few drops of sports drink on the earcup, and it didn't went into where the driver is, just the part outside where the earcup connects to the headphones, so I immediately wiped it off, it works perfectly now, but should I be worried for issues?
Nope, should have no issues as long as it hasnt entered inside the 3.5mm jack or inside the driver cavity.
worse comes to worse it leaked a little into the inside of the cup where the isolation and circuit board is but im sure it would dry out by then as long as its not too much.

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #456 of 1,177
Nope, should have no issues as long as it hasnt entered inside the 3.5mm jack or inside the driver cavity.
worse comes to worse it leaked a little into the inside of the cup where the isolation and circuit board is but im sure it would dry out by then as long as its not too much.
Ok thanks, these headphones are literally on my head right now, and I don't notice any problems, so I should be fine

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #459 of 1,177
Does 1A m2 have wider or thinner soundstage than Z7 m2?
I havent tried the Z7 m2 either, but ive heard its got wider soundstage from "the nitpicker" reviews on youtube.

The only other portable headphones i can compare the 1a m2 to were the b&o h6 gen 2 that i had on my person at the time. And i prefer the b&o sound more and comfort and build quality. But if i didnt have the b&o id get these sony, they sounded musical and enjoyable.

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #460 of 1,177
Hi @Fapandeggs,

As a good aquaintance of mine often states, none of us have your ears or head so can't say what you will hear & I will add all depends on your source & source quality as well.

i own the 1AM2 & personally I prefer it to the Z7M2 as overall staging to my ears sounds more 'lively' & wider to a certain extent though as stated already, your mileage will vary & i have pretty decent gear though once again, have not tried Z7M2 with my home gear.

So really, in the end, all depends on you so the best thing to do if possible, is demo.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #461 of 1,177
These, or the new Audio Technica ath-Msr7b? Looking for a portable for balanced listening. Also - any recommendations for a 4.4mm to 2.5 mm adapter that will work for either of these cans?

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #462 of 1,177
These, or the new Audio Technica ath-Msr7b? Looking for a portable for balanced listening. Also - any recommendations for a 4.4mm to 2.5 mm adapter that will work for either of these cans?

If the MSR7B keeps a similar tuning to the MSR7, it depends on what you want. If you want a warmer and bassier sound, the Sony's are just that. If you want a more mid-centric and brighter sound, the MSR7B will satisfy that. I personally prefer the MDR-1AM2 as it's more easier to listen to.

No idea about the adapter.

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #463 of 1,177
I havent tried the Z7 m2 either, but ive heard its got wider soundstage from "the nitpicker" reviews on youtube.

The only other portable headphones i can compare the 1a m2 to were the b&o h6 gen 2 that i had on my person at the time. And i prefer the b&o sound more and comfort and build quality. But if i didnt have the b&o id get these sony, they sounded musical and enjoyable.
I actually bought the 1AM2 and Z7M2 around the same time, within two weeks of each other. I ended up returning the Z7M2. To me, the 1AM2 was just a more enjoyable and more engaging listening experience. The Z7M2 to me was too spacious. Everything sounded so far apart and far away. I'm more of an IEM guy so I'm used to a more in your face presentation and that's what I like. But yeah the Z7M2 definitely had a bigger soundstage than the 1AM2, which made me not like it as much. I ended up using the Z7M2 return to fun a Sony IER-M9 purchase, which is exactly what I needed.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #464 of 1,177
I actually bought the 1AM2 and Z7M2 around the same time, within two weeks of each other. I ended up returning the Z7M2. To me, the 1AM2 was just a more enjoyable and more engaging listening experience. The Z7M2 to me was too spacious. Everything sounded so far apart and far away. I'm more of an IEM guy so I'm used to a more in your face presentation and that's what I like. But yeah the Z7M2 definitely had a bigger soundstage than the 1AM2, which made me not like it as much. I ended up using the Z7M2 return to fun a Sony IER-M9 purchase, which is exactly what I needed.
Im actually a fan of a more sound stage presented headphone. I already have cans that give a closer soundstage similar to iems (h6gen2) but id want something with a closed back desgin that has great pads and decent soundstage. My dt1990 pros are great, but open so i hear everything haha unless its dead quiet in my room.

Both the 1am2 and z7m2 have balanced correct? 4.4 each?

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #465 of 1,177
Im actually a fan of a more sound stage presented headphone. I already have cans that give a closer soundstage similar to iems (h6gen2) but id want something with a closed back desgin that has great pads and decent soundstage. My dt1990 pros are great, but open so i hear everything haha unless its dead quiet in my room.

Both the 1am2 and z7m2 have balanced correct? 4.4 each?
Also consider Final Audio’s Sonorous VI. Ultimate soundstage in close-back hps. If you like Sony and Fostex there is an overlap, although the Sonorous can be a more intense listen. Comfort is crap but you can replace the pads with Shure alcantara pads for instance and it’s supposed to preserve SQ and signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back