Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #392 of 1,177
Mine arrived. It works better than the original. And i can say that the sound is improved in every way. From an es100 these are the reference of the dynamics for me. the sound is enormous and make me feel like i’m in front of a 20000 watts system. It is very recommendable to not raise the volume too much. While the sound pressure is very impressive and every frequency is present and vibrant, a lot of people would judge the sound too sculpted because of the ease of the drivers to manage such a movement. The best with that type of current through the drivers is to enjoy the swing at medium volume, the sound become super defined and the wall of sound remain punchy and never toomuch in your face. The bass is more controlled and the proverbial speed is there.
I'm glad you got good. I needed to replace a jack.

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #393 of 1,177
Anyone know where I can get a standard 3.5mm (no inline remote) for the MDR-1AM2? I just got the ibasso DX120 today and the cable with the inline remote won't work with the DAP. Read on the DX120 thread that the DAP will only work with select cables that have inline remotes, apparently Sony isn't one of them. And the balanced cable won't work, as the DX120 takes a 2.5mm connection. Thanks for any help.
I ordered that one. You have not come yet. But I'll tell you how it works.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Plug...var=532429624485&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #395 of 1,177
I got the MDR-1AM2 today and have been listening to them for hours now and I am rather disappointed.
They sound almost exactly like the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio Pro to me, except they're just a bit more chilled and, unlike the Beyers, they are quite claustrophobic with the stock pads (no soundstage, plus my ears barely fit in) and very 2D with just a little bit of depth. Imaging is not bad, but could be better. It's much better with cheap pads for Shure 840 I got from eBay, but that still just puts them about on par with the Beyers. I think I'll return them.
What I've been looking for was more detail, tightness and intensity than they provide, possibly with somewhat elevated treble, while keeping staging at least a bit outside of the earcups and some depth to the stage, too. The Echobox Finder X1 (in-ear) is pretty close to what I'd like to get in around-ear form.
I'm running them from SMSL M3 and I don't have anything balanced to use them with at the moment.

Would you reckon that I need to upgrade my DAC/AMP combo or get a different pair? I'm considering the Audio Technica MSR7 (I already have the AR5BT, though I'm unsure about the differences between the two as I couldn't really find anything on them) and Yamaha HPH-MT8. I could also save up and get something higher up the ladder, but I haven't explored those options much.
The Panasonic RP-HD10 were almost it, except for the vast hollowness they lent to vocals, which is why I have returned those.

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #396 of 1,177
I got the MDR-1AM2 today and have been listening to them for hours now and I am rather disappointed.
They sound almost exactly like the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio Pro to me, except they're just a bit more chilled and, unlike the Beyers, they are quite claustrophobic with the stock pads (no soundstage, plus my ears barely fit in) and very 2D with just a little bit of depth. Imaging is not bad, but could be better. It's much better with cheap pads for Shure 840 I got from eBay, but that still just puts them about on par with the Beyers. I think I'll return them.
What I've been looking for was more detail, tightness and intensity than they provide, possibly with somewhat elevated treble, while keeping staging at least a bit outside of the earcups and some depth to the stage, too. The Echobox Finder X1 (in-ear) is pretty close to what I'd like to get in around-ear form.
I'm running them from SMSL M3 and I don't have anything balanced to use them with at the moment.

Would you reckon that I need to upgrade my DAC/AMP combo or get a different pair? I'm considering the Audio Technica MSR7 (I already have the AR5BT, though I'm unsure about the differences between the two as I couldn't really find anything on them) and Yamaha HPH-MT8. I could also save up and get something higher up the ladder, but I haven't explored those options much.
The Panasonic RP-HD10 were almost it, except for the vast hollowness they lent to vocals, which is why I have returned those.
Man if you dislike them that much I don’t think a new source or amplification will fix it. I honestly can see some truth in what you’re saying although I just think they’re so fun. Which is why I enjoy them so much. I think they compliment my Z7M2 perfectly. Both cans have more of a fun non serious sound.
I have to ask, after seeing what you’re looking for, what even made you purchase the 1AM2? I think the Z7M2 is closer to what you’re looking for but an open back will probably suit you best. Closed backs always suffer in the soundstage department, although the Z7M2 is still quite good for a closed back.

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #397 of 1,177
I’ve come to appreciate the intimate in your face presentation of the 1AM2 though. But there’s no doubt that the Z7M2 has more depth and width in the soundstage department. Much much more. Much more spacious too, like each instrument has more space around it than on the 1AM2.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #398 of 1,177
Man if you dislike them that much I don’t think a new source or amplification will fix it. I honestly can see some truth in what you’re saying although I just think they’re so fun. Which is why I enjoy them so much. I think they compliment my Z7M2 perfectly. Both cans have more of a fun non serious sound.
I have to ask, after seeing what you’re looking for, what even made you purchase the 1AM2? I think the Z7M2 is closer to what you’re looking for but an open back will probably suit you best. Closed backs always suffer in the soundstage department, although the Z7M2 is still quite good for a closed back.

I’ve come to appreciate the intimate in your face presentation of the 1AM2 though. But there’s no doubt that the Z7M2 has more depth and width in the soundstage department. Much much more. Much more spacious too, like each instrument has more space around it than on the 1AM2.

Thanks for the replies. :)
What made me look its way were too things:
- they're on sale on Amazon UK now
- the reviews I read praised it for its soundstage and detailed presentation
I suppose I made it sound like I really disliked the 1AM2. That's not really the case - they're just too much like what I already have, after playing around with it.
I wouldn't mind the smaller soundstage it has if it improved on the Custom Studio in tightness or imaging or if it sounded more energetic, but I don't feel like it has.
I think it's the tightness, fast response and imaging are what I'm after. Having said that, I'm not sure how much those can be improved upon in the price range over the Beyers.
Perhaps I should be looking at studio/monitoring cans, rather than, hmmm, 'casual audiophile'.

The 1More H1707 would've been it, except their bass seemed downright blurry when I heard them (at CanJam). The highs and the mids, though... those were great and pretty much what I'm looking for now.
The SoundMagic P55 is almost there, but lacks almost any sense of space. Maybe I just need to play with it more, though.

Perhaps I should just mod the T40RP MK3 I have and see how much I can squeeze out of it.

I've ordered the Yamahas last night. I really shouldn't order things late at night when I'm really tired, but I'm curious now. I'll report back. :)

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #399 of 1,177
The Yamaha mt-8 is an instrument. Analitical and cold. This thread should specify that a guy who haven't money limits and wants a bigger non portable headphone, can easily ignore tha 1 series. Mdr-1xx exists in order to humiliate every beats lover in the same ground: the extension in the lower register and the dynamics, without sacrificing the detail and the mids presence. This is almost an impossible thing to do, and only a driver with incredible characteristic can do it. It remains the enclosure that must be very tiny to appeal a classy user. Sony had made a miracle, but the goal wasn't to let the 1 sound correct, but to have a robust bass, a tonal correct mid and a shimmery, exciting highs, at the expense of control. While the hp sounds very agile, it's a little too resonant in the bass, with a very fast attack but a slow decay. Things go better partially coveng the bass holes, but you are searching for something different, and a mdr-7506 does this job at a lower price. And yes, the dramatically bulky and expensive mdr-z7m2 laso does...

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #401 of 1,177
The Yamaha mt-8 is an instrument. Analitical and cold. This thread should specify that a guy who haven't money limits and wants a bigger non portable headphone, can easily ignore tha 1 series. Mdr-1xx exists in order to humiliate every beats lover in the same ground: the extension in the lower register and the dynamics, without sacrificing the detail and the mids presence. This is almost an impossible thing to do, and only a driver with incredible characteristic can do it. It remains the enclosure that must be very tiny to appeal a classy user. Sony had made a miracle, but the goal wasn't to let the 1 sound correct, but to have a robust bass, a tonal correct mid and a shimmery, exciting highs, at the expense of control. While the hp sounds very agile, it's a little too resonant in the bass, with a very fast attack but a slow decay. Things go better partially coveng the bass holes, but you are searching for something different, and a mdr-7506 does this job at a lower price. And yes, the dramatically bulky and expensive mdr-z7m2 laso does...

And please, don't compare light headphones to use on the go to big hifi cans amp driven only. It's like complaining the ferrari beacause their cars in offroad are a totally sheet.

Thanks for the tips and apologies for any offence caused by my posts.
However, how would you know that it's time for non-portables without a comparison? It seems inevitable it has to happen at some point.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #402 of 1,177
Thanks for the tips and apologies for any offence caused by my posts.
However, how would you know that it's time for non-portables without a comparison? It seems inevitable it has to happen at some point.

You don't have to apologize. But I think that the 1am2 is the most capable hp between the portables, and if you choice to use it in you hifi studio you will be obviously disappointed unless you are a severe basshead. In that case you have to think that It's not on par with fostex wooden higher offers (the only hifi basshead cans), but it cost a lot less. And if you pair it with a es100 with a balanced cable the magic happens. The soundstage is on par with the senn hd6 series, the mids vecomes velvety nuanced and the bass gain a lot of control. You will have the 80% of an z7 at a fraction of the price. I'd really want to let you try it, but remember, it is a wonderful live rock concert, but it's overwhelming only if you go high on volume

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #404 of 1,177
You don't have to apologize. But I think that the 1am2 is the most capable hp between the portables, and if you choice to use it in you hifi studio you will be obviously disappointed unless you are a severe basshead. In that case you have to think that It's not on par with fostex wooden higher offers (the only hifi basshead cans), but it cost a lot less. And if you pair it with a es100 with a balanced cable the magic happens. The soundstage is on par with the senn hd6 series, the mids vecomes velvety nuanced and the bass gain a lot of control. You will have the 80% of an z7 at a fraction of the price. I'd really want to let you try it, but remember, it is a wonderful live rock concert, but it's overwhelming only if you go high on volume

i think it's more like a dt880 from distance. I'm comparing the two. The beyer is my reference, the sony is the sport version like amg is for mercedes

Cheers. I haven't sent them back yet and the ES100 have been on my radar for a few months now, so I'm tempted to get it and try it out. I have some pondering to do...

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #405 of 1,177
Bought for £90 new on eBay. Don't really need them but deal too good to miss. I'll use them for work. Now to get a portable player to partner them with. Hmm dx120, fiio m9 or something else. ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back