Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #361 of 1,177
How are these for bass music?

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #362 of 1,177
Gooood.
Not boomy. Presence, quantity, timbre are very satisfying.
Edit: that was true with the 1A, I’m pretty sure it also goes for the M2, which seem to have also opened up a bit thanks a tweaked treble, I haven’t heard them though. Slight congestion was my main gripe with the 1A.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #363 of 1,177

My friend, let me say, it's the best bargain in closed consumer headphones of all time. The am2 is designed Especially for punchy music but it's speed and agility is suited also for delicate nuances. The high are wonderfully shimmering while the mids are meaty and credible. And that bass: a sub woofer that come only if the music call for it. I just have compared this sony to the 800 hundred dollars costing b&w p9 signature, cuppy, sibilant, unbearably heavy and uncomfortable in comparison to my beloved. My hd600 is technically superior, but if you want fun, the mdr1am2 is the way. Thank you to matieulh to let me appreciate my choice with his convinced opposite statements to what I think about the semi-cheap mid-fi, sometimes we need to confirm with energy and argumentation what we affirm in order to mantain the purpose of the forum.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #364 of 1,177
My friend, let me say, it's the best bargain in closed consumer headphones of all time. The am2 is designed Especially for punchy music but it's speed and agility is suited also for delicate nuances. The high are wonderfully shimmering while the mids are meaty and credible. And that bass: a sub woofer that come only if the music call for it. I just have compared this sony to the 800 hundred dollars costing b&w p9 signature, cuppy, sibilant, unbearably heavy and uncomfortable in comparison to my beloved. My hd600 is technically superior, but if you want fun, the mdr1am2 is the way. Thank you to matieulh to let me appreciate my choice with his convinced opposite statements to what I think about the semi-cheap mid-fi, sometimes we need to confirm with energy and argumentation what we affirm in order to mantain the purpose of the forum.

That's right ! That's what you write. Compared to the AM1, this is a detailed sound, but it's not basshead. I would add that it is worth trying in balanced mode! It goes up one category. (but unbalanced is also very fun for the money ..)

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #365 of 1,177
Tried a couple entry level Sony wireless on ears today man, their line up isn't bad at all. Sony totally follows the same design and sound signature code all cross their product line, it's from plastic sure but damn light and has actual plush pads, it even have the exact same voice prompt the WH1000X has.

These days barrier of entry to good sound is getting lower and lower IMO, and you don't even have to sacrifice convenience for it to be reach that decent sound.

I decided to buy one for my little sis's birthday present.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #366 of 1,177

@gazzington,

1AM2 will be more than fine for your needs for the reasons several others on here have already described.

Bass response is good, accurate & natural.

There is also a nice separation & clarity in the mid range to the high without being ridiculous.

Also, in case you didn't know, the 1AM2 is based on the 7506.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #367 of 1,177
Just bought these babies,they were on sale for Black Friday on amazon... 120€!
Can’t wait to see the differences between my mdr100aap and these!

Nov 24, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #370 of 1,177
So, I got my own pair of MDR 1AM2s a few days ago. It was a good decision on my part. Coming from my previous headphones the HyperX Cloud Alphas. Which were highly regarded for their lack of distortion, and a relatively clean and spacious sound signature. These were light. Very light. Sony states that these weigh 187 grams with no cable, while the HyperX weighs around 300 grams. The Sonys have really soft earpads, and the drivers are angled to fit ears more, I have larger than average ears, and the Sonys actually gave me enough space, and they are comfortable AF. As for build quality, it doesn't feel cheap and seems like it's gonna last forever, but since most of it is plastic, the outside of the earpads that connects the earpads to the headphones, seems to squeak a bit when enough pressure is applied, this is only on the left earcup though, and it's not a problem to me. One complaint that I have is that the headphone sliders don't have points in them or numbers, but it does give a solid click so if you know how to count, it is A ok.

As for sound quality,

The bass is quite warm, undistorted, and never eats into the other frequencies, and in the correct volume as well.

The mids are also quite smooth and meaty, there is a lot of detail at play here as instruments and voices are never distorted and sound very, very clear.

The highs are also quite smooth and detailed, they are not sibilant, and they never distort.

Overall, i'm quite happy with the Sony MDR 1AM2 for it's lightweight and robust build, heavenly comfort, and amazing sound quality

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #371 of 1,177
If the squeaking persist you may be able to swap then for new you know?

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #374 of 1,177
Actually, can you guys reccomend some affordable dacs/amps, I wanna push my headphones to it's max potential
Sedentary or portable?
Sony’s own PHA-1A were made to complement the 1A, it’s a glorious match.
I just bought (having tried it in store but it’s on order so not in my home yet) the Taga HTA-700B v2, should work great, tube warmth, huge sound, plenty of dynamics.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #375 of 1,177
A question .!!
Why is nobody making it? 4,4 mm female >> 2,5mm male balanced translator ??? There are a couple of cables that have 4,4 pentacones with a factory-balanced cable. (Senn HD660S / Sony MDR-1AM2) It's so difficult to launch ??? since the reverse is available.
(Fiio does not make, only 2.5 female 4.4 balanced male jacktranslator (BL44) )I do not understand this well ... if we are mixing here with pentaconne 4,4 / Trrs 2.5 outputs ..:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back