Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #151 of 1,177
Got my pair yesterday, to me they seems to have the best of my MDR-1R and MDR-100aap combined. Nice tamer and controlled bass and sparkly yet not piercing highs. The mids are good, just not as thick due to the midbass bump on the 1R, which removes the bloated feeling. Hope that makes any sense, since I'm really not good at reviewing or describing anything. :)

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #152 of 1,177
Got my pair yesterday, to me they seems to have the best of my MDR-1R and MDR-100aap combined. Nice tamer and controlled bass and sparkly yet not piercing highs. The mids are good, just not as thick due to the midbass bump on the 1R, which removes the bloated feeling. Hope that makes any sense, since I'm really not good at reviewing or describing anything. :)

Please tell me the difference between 1am2 and 100aap. I am using 100aap from more than two years and liked it very much. If the difference is notable I am keen on upgrading.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #153 of 1,177
So I had them for about 48 hours now. And I can give some first impressions.

The highs are way better than the original 1A. They dont sound muddy really.
The mids are somewhat similiar to the normal 1A.
The Bass feels better but the mid bloat is way less.

Build quality is actually really nice, when I first used them I thought they it isnt that good because they are very light, but they feel very well constructed and the material feels of a good quality. Also I like what they did to the headband. Its designed like a mini Z1R and feels way better than the original 1A. Also all joints seem very nice and dont seem to start make any noise. Also the pads are very soft in all directions. You can make a lot of room inside the pads without any force and even tho they first seem kinda small they will fit even huge ears.

All in all I would say Sony made a big successor to the 1A and the included Balanced cable is a great bonus.
Please tell me the difference between 1am2 and 100aap. I am using 100aap from more than two years and liked it very much. If the difference is notable I am keen on upgrading.
IMO the normal 1A is a big step up from the 100aap already. The 100aap didnt even target the audiophile world.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #155 of 1,177
Funny you should mention it, because I actually thought of these yesterday when trying to figure out which headphones they reminded me of. I have had Beoplay H6 (1gen briefly - they were too bass-empty), H6 2gen, H7, H8, H8i, H9 and H9i (not all at the same time) and they remind me a bit of the 2gen H6. I don't have them anymore, I'd say the sound is simular as I recall them, and right now they are (in Denmark at least) sometimes very cheap - under 200$. The retail price in Denmark for the 1am2 are around 330$ which is what the H6 are when not on sale.

The earpads are not as deep / thick - and they sit tighter around the ears, but as I recall the 1A they were thicker and deeper so I'm not sure that is what causes the heat. I'd imagine a person with big ears might have trouble fitting them.

I love the 1am2 for being so light - and if I look away from the sweat when wearing them while moving, I think I'll keep these as a suplement for my 1ZR which are used at home exclusive. I don't find much use for my Z7 anymore, cause they are more a home headphone as well. Sound-wise I cannot comment already.
Are the earpads memory foam or just regular foam? If memory foam, are they dense?

Also, do most Danes speak English fluently? I just took a DNA test and found out a large percentage of my heritage is Scandinavian. I'm thinking about taking a trip there. :)

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #156 of 1,177
I've only had experience with the Sony in ears: I own the XBA-A3, tried the 300, N3, Z5.
I am considering some overheads from Sony as I can change the cable to go balanced out of my ZX300. I could stretch to the Z7 but from reading the thread I think they are not for me. Is anyone able to perhaps relate the MDR-1AM2's sound to any of the XBA range please? For example, the Z5 has alot of emphasis on the low end, whereas my A3 seem to be more balanced on both ends.
I saw Accessory Jack are doing free shipping at the moment on certain gear and could probably make my money back selling them locally if they didn't suit me, but I'd like to get a better idea of what they're like first.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #157 of 1,177
Are the earpads memory foam or just regular foam? If memory foam, are they dense?

Also, do most Danes speak English fluently? I just took a DNA test and found out a large percentage of my heritage is Scandinavian. I'm thinking about taking a trip there. :)

Danes have English or German as their second language in school so most speak very good English :) I can only recommend that you come.

Not sure what type the earpads are made of - sorry.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #159 of 1,177
Got these headphones in the mail fifteen minutes ago. I was pretty excited. Unpackaged the headphones and cables, put them on, and...ouch. The cups are too small and the earpads are way too thin for my ears. Ouch ouch. So uncomfortable. Listened to them for a few minutes, yup, Sony sound with bass emphasis, ouch ouch ouch. Nope, not gonna do it. Put them back in the box and sealed it up with tape to send them back. I have never requested a return from Amazon so quickly after getting a package. Major disappointment, bums me out.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #161 of 1,177
Got these headphones in the mail fifteen minutes ago. I was pretty excited. Unpackaged the headphones and cables, put them on, and...ouch. The cups are too small and the earpads are way too thin for my ears. Ouch ouch. So uncomfortable. Listened to them for a few minutes, yup, Sony sound with bass emphasis, ouch ouch ouch. Nope, not gonna do it. Put them back in the box and sealed it up with tape to send them back. I have never requested a return from Amazon so quickly after getting a package. Major disappointment, bums me out.
Well the sound was know before :p also the sound isnt like any Sony Model before lol Never though some one could have problems with the cups I think the pads could be a little thinner and I have by no means small ears or head, also the pads stretch so easily and without any effort that bigger ears shouldn't be a problem, but oh well hopefully you find a headphone that better fits your needs

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #163 of 1,177
Yes I too found that the pads were smaller than the 1A's, the ear holes/cups are definitely smaller as well as the headband. I have sent them back and using my 1A's again and I like them better I have to say. I guess I am a bass head as I like the bass better and don't hear much difference in the highs. I listen to a lot of techno, dance, edm, rap so I guess I like bloated bass lol. I find the 1A's are louder as well without any distortion.

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #164 of 1,177
So apparently everything is smaller. Smaller ear cups, ear pads openings, and headband. The headband part is sad. The MDR-1A is great that it's one of very few I've worn that I did not have to fully extend to get to fit (I have them up 1/2 click on each side, one click on each side is too much, one click on one side and fully extended on the other works too but is a little crooked). That will forever be my biggest issue with headphones in general. Anyone with more than a slightly above average head will find 90% won't fit comfortably, even fully extended. So, I'll stay MDR-1A then.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #165 of 1,177
Not sure it the headband is not as extendable or even more, its just not as thick because they wanted to save the weight. I prefer a nice sized headphone on my head, I don't have a problem with the weight of my 1A's. I find the 1A's pads are much softer and not as rigid but that could be from wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back