Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jan 26, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #2,386 of 2,667
Hi, I just got these headphones, and I was wondering if it was normal to hear a sort clicking/creaking noise from the audio cable whenever it's moved/jostled at all. This is the first pair of headphones that I've ever had that's cost more than $70 or so, so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of build quality, etc. It sounds great, and overall feels well put-together, but I noticed almost immediately that I would hear a noise coming from the left side anytime I moved my head at all, and I mean just moving it an inch or two. Never really experienced anything like that before, certainly not with the pair I have now. I saw online that many people complaining about "creaking" from theirs, which is what I thought it may be, that the frame itself was creaking from movement, but eventually I realized that the movement of the audio cable was what was causing the noise.

It almost seems like it's not really securely clicked in all the way(though it is), and that any movement of the cable itself is almost causing the plug to jostle in the port and hit the sides. No noise if I take the cable out, and very limited to close to none if I hold the cable away from myself and move around, so that it's no longer dragging on my body. Only when it's plugged in and allowed to hang normally. Confirmed it by just moving the cable around with my hands, not aggressively, just gently swaying it back and forward, pretty constant light tapping noises. It's the same with both cables they included. I don't intend to wear these out, they'll be used at a desk, but it's still pretty annoying to hear a more or less constant slight "click" from one side just from looking around/moving a bit. Especially seems strange if this is normal, since I assume you are expected to be moving around with these a lot, being portable and all. If anyone could comment on whether they experienced the same thing, it'd be great. I would at least know if I maybe got one with ill-fitting jacks or there's something wrong with the snugness of the outlet, could consider returning them.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #2,388 of 2,667
Hi, I just got these headphones, and I was wondering if it was normal to hear a sort clicking/creaking noise from the audio cable whenever it's moved/jostled at all. This is the first pair of headphones that I've ever had that's cost more than $70 or so, so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of build quality, etc. It sounds great, and overall feels well put-together, but I noticed almost immediately that I would hear a noise coming from the left side anytime I moved my head at all, and I mean just moving it an inch or two. Never really experienced anything like that before, certainly not with the pair I have now. I saw online that many people complaining about "creaking" from theirs, which is what I thought it may be, that the frame itself was creaking from movement, but eventually I realized that the movement of the audio cable was what was causing the noise.

It almost seems like it's not really securely clicked in all the way(though it is), and that any movement of the cable itself is almost causing the plug to jostle in the port and hit the sides. No noise if I take the cable out, and very limited to close to none if I hold the cable away from myself and move around, so that it's no longer dragging on my body. Only when it's plugged in and allowed to hang normally. Confirmed it by just moving the cable around with my hands, not aggressively, just gently swaying it back and forward, pretty constant light tapping noises. It's the same with both cables they included. I don't intend to wear these out, they'll be used at a desk, but it's still pretty annoying to hear a more or less constant slight "click" from one side just from looking around/moving a bit. Especially seems strange if this is normal, since I assume you are expected to be moving around with these a lot, being portable and all. If anyone could comment on whether they experienced the same thing, it'd be great. I would at least know if I maybe got one with ill-fitting jacks or there's something wrong with the snugness of the outlet, could consider returning them.

Nothing of that. (Mine had left-right unbalanced)

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #2,390 of 2,667
  @sdcr Exchange em.  Doesn't sound right.

Nothing of that. (Mine had left-right unbalanced)

@sdcr, return them, it shouldn't make that clicking noise.

Thanks for the replies, went ahead and exchanged them out for a different pair. These are much better, issues mostly gone. It sill makes the same noise every now and then when I move my head about, but it's very rare, I almost have to be trying to make something happen, not every twitch like the previous ones. Thanks again.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #2,391 of 2,667

Thanks for the replies, went ahead and exchanged them out for a different pair. These are much better, issues mostly gone. It sill makes the same noise every now and then when I move my head about, but it's very rare, I almost have to be trying to make something happen, not every twitch like the previous ones. Thanks again.

good to hear that you got a better one

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,392 of 2,667
I apologize if this has been covered before, tried the search function but couldn't find the definite answer.

I just bought a MDR-1A, yet to arrive, to pair with my XDP-300R DAP.

Can someone please confirm that the jack plug  going into the MDR-1A is a 3.5mm TRRS, with the pin layout as shown below, first line?
So that a cable without mic going to a 2.5mm TRRS jack plug, as shown below 2nd line, can be used as a balanced cable?
(2.5mm TRRS pin layout for XDP-300R is the same as AK and DP-X1/A.)

And if so do you know any shops that have this cable for sale?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #2,393 of 2,667
Since the Sony supplied 1A std cable was a balanced cable, you just look for a DIY workshop ask them to cut off the std tips connector and soldering to a new balanced 2.5mm tip connector then you can paired to your DAP as I was done it and paired to my AK 240. While Connected to the balanced output you will found out your MDR-1A's sound is totally different from the unbalanced output. Sony 1A was make for balanced music output, it's sound so amazing for this price range. Re-done the tip connecting and you won't regret it.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,394 of 2,667
I apologize if this has been covered before, tried the search function but couldn't find the definite answer.

I just bought a MDR-1A, yet to arrive, to pair with my XDP-300R DAP.

Can someone please confirm that the jack plug  going into the MDR-1A is a 3.5mm TRRS, with the pin layout as shown below, first line?
So that a cable without mic going to a 2.5mm TRRS jack plug, as shown below 2nd line, can be used as a balanced cable?
(2.5mm TRRS pin layout for XDP-300R is the same as AK and DP-X1/A.)

And if so do you know any shops that have this cable for sale?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I would also be very interested to find out the solution to this as well. Does anyone know if a 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm balanced adapter would work? Or is there no getting around having the existing cable re-terminated? Also is there any way to make use of the mic cable, which is 4-pole at both end? Thanks in advance.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,400 of 2,667
I would also be very interested to find out the solution to this as well. Does anyone know if a 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm balanced adapter would work? Or is there no getting around having the existing cable re-terminated? Also is there any way to make use of the mic cable, which is 4-pole at both end? Thanks in advance.

Don't know about an adapter but Forza Audioworks can make you a balanced cable: Sony MDR-1A/MDR-100AAP 3.5mm TRRS to DP-X1/XDP-300R/AK 2.5mm TRRS for € 91,00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back