Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 25, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,696 of 2,667
  Where in the world are people finding this headphone for under $200?  The cheapest price I have found is for $229 and that is from a foreign online retailer.  

I am seeing great reviews for the MDR 1A's - the 1R's are really really comfortable so I'm sure these will be the same; however, I am reading that these Sony's  "very good" and "fun"; I am willing to stretch my budget enough to get sound quality that really brings out great clarity in guitars and vocals.  Can anyone say that the MDR 1A's provide "incredible sound" for acoustic tracks?

How much can you find MDR-100AAP for? Many people consider them a big improvement over the MDR-1A.

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,697 of 2,667
  Where in the world are people finding this headphone for under $200?  The cheapest price I have found is for $229 and that is from a foreign online retailer.  

I am seeing great reviews for the MDR 1A's - the 1R's are really really comfortable so I'm sure these will be the same; however, I am reading that these Sony's  "very good" and "fun"; I am willing to stretch my budget enough to get sound quality that really brings out great clarity in guitars and vocals.  Can anyone say that the MDR 1A's provide "incredible sound" for acoustic tracks?

You need luck sometimes.  In Germany, they are 150 € now, in France, you get a discount coupon, you have to send after purchase, and wait for your refund. In Thailand they were more expensive. One shop offered 2000 bht discount, but then were still 200 €. As I kept on hesitating between this and the 100 AAP, when my Audio Technica's broke down again, I got to a store where ONE 1 A was discounted. Not understood promotion  there, seemed that every Sony gear, the first item sold was 50 % off.  So got it for 4950 bht, around 130 €. As new, and in original ca&se two wires and carry bag...

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,698 of 2,667

How much can you find MDR-100AAP for? Many people consider them a big improvement over the MDR-1A.

I can get the 100 AAP's for $195 but I'm not really a fan of the design, and of course this is subjective (maybe they would look better in person)I will go to the Sony store this weekend and see if I can find a pair to demo. If Beyer had bothered to include a detachable cable design for the DT 770's, I would get them in a heartbeat.

Thank you very much for the suggestion Daejeon!

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,699 of 2,667
Having jus got them for Christmas, I am finding them fantastic for everything, and I'm especially loving them for classical music - I've been list to Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony this morning and it sounds incredible. So warm and natural. Poked around with some EDM from Swedish House Mafia which was awesome, and then played around with some Dream Theater and Symphony X which were both awesome... Definitely has a hearty low end to them, but not overbearing for rock/metal.

If you go to Amazon.co.uk,they are currently £116, which translates to $170 American dollars roughly - this is where my wife got them from, delivered to the United States.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that while Sony says they are 24ohm impedance, the actual instruction manual in the box says they're 48ohm?

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,700 of 2,667
On a side note, has anyone noticed that while Sony says they are 24ohm impedance, the actual instruction manual in the box says they're 48ohm?

Not sure, but there was another thread that talks about some confusion with the advertised ohm of MDR 1R
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658900/sony-mdr-1r-confusion

Any experience/thoughts on the comfort/sound quality of the Denon AH-D7100 or the MM400?

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,701 of 2,667
Hi guys, I was about to buy the 1A, but reading this thread I noticed someone who sometimes found the treble metallic/grainy. I am very treble sensitive, and whereas I briefly demoed the 1As in a store and found them alright, I already had to return Fidelio X2 and Urbanite XL after I tried them at home, due to eardrum pain even after brief sessions.

So do you think they are *very* smooth and completely inoffensive, or is it true that the highs can become too zingy?

Thanks a lot (and yes I know that I'll can never be sure until I'll have them..)

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,702 of 2,667
  Hi guys, I was about to buy the 1A, but reading this thread I noticed someone who sometimes found the treble metallic/grainy. I am very treble sensitive, and whereas I briefly demoed the 1As in a store and found them alright, I already had to return Fidelio X2 and Urbanite XL after I tried them at home, due to eardrum pain even after brief sessions.

So do you think they are *very* smooth and completely inoffensive, or is it true that the highs can become too zingy?

Thanks a lot (and yes I know that I'll can never be sure until I'll have them..)

smooth

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,703 of 2,667

I think they are completely inoffensive and smooth, can't imagine anyone thinking the treble is metallic

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,704 of 2,667

I think they are completely inoffensive and smooth, can't imagine anyone thinking the treble is metallic

Have to agree on the treble;  After a demo of these w/ various songs, the treble is definitely not metallic.  

I wanted to love these and for comfort, hands down the most comfortable of any headphones I have tried so far, second to the HD700.  The only reason I have not gotten the 1A's is I find the bass to be a bit too pronounced; I am wondering if this is something that would improve over time....

Anyone have feedback on the comfort level of Oppo PM-3's compared to the 1A?

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #1,705 of 2,667
Have to agree on the treble;  After a demo of these w/ various songs, the treble is definitely not metallic.  

I wanted to love these and for comfort, hands down the most comfortable of any headphones I have tried so far, second to the HD700.  The only reason I have not gotten the 1A's is I find the bass to be a bit too pronounced; I am wondering if this is something that would improve over time....

Anyone have feedback on the comfort level of Oppo PM-3's compared to the 1A?

The pm-3 is really confortable, it is more or less a mix between the ath-m50x and the Sony mdr-1a when it comes to comfort.

I've just received them. Love the sound but I can't get any sound out of my tablet (Samsung Galaxy tab s2) while it works with my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy s6) or any other portable devices... Any ideas why? I suspect the cable but I can't understand why it works with my phone and not on the tablet...

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,706 of 2,667

I am very treble sensitive too (Philips Fidelio X1 gives me a headache, sadly). Actually, the MDR-1A are the ONLY headphones i can listen without any pain. 1A's treble is just perfect for me! Bear in mind, highs COULD be a little metallic on some tracks with "treble happy" mastering and rather bright source (e.g. FiiO X5II). No big deal for me (there is no pain, so who cares).

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #1,707 of 2,667
damn, thank you, looking forward to them now, really hope they'll work for me too!

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,708 of 2,667
  damn, thank you, looking forward to them now, really hope they'll work for me too!

Let's see. Which music genres do you prefer?

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,709 of 2,667

Let's see. Which music genres do you prefer?

Uhm, let's see, I'd say mostly electronica, alternative, also hip-hop. Some examples are Nine Inch Nails, Meg Myers, Robot Koch, Radiohead, Glass Animals, also some rock, Marilyn Manson and the like.

I love bass and my mains are the XB500s, but sometimes they are too cavernous. I'd like more clarity sometimes, but I discovered the hard way that my ears are very picky. As I said, some cans considered "relaxed" caused me pains, there must be some frequencies somewhere that piss off my eardrums. I think the most "safe" cans remaining for me are the Momentums with detailed but very rolled off highs (but they are out of budget) or possibly the Aurvana 2, but I think those are inferior. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,710 of 2,667

Uhm, let's see, I'd say mostly electronica, alternative, also hip-hop. Some examples are Nine Inch Nails, Meg Myers, Robot Koch, Radiohead, Glass Animals, also some rock, Marilyn Manson and the like.

I love bass and my mains are the XB500s, but sometimes they are too cavernous. I'd like more clarity sometimes, but I discovered the hard way that my ears are very picky. As I said, some cans considered "relaxed" caused me pains, there must be some frequencies somewhere that piss off my eardrums. I think the most "safe" cans remaining for me are the Momentums with detailed but very rolled off highs (but they are out of budget) or possibly the Aurvana 2, but I think those are inferior. 

Haven't listened to the A1's enough but just based on what I have heard so far, I think you would appreciate them.  Just the comfort alone makes the listening that much more enjoyable but compared to the XB500's, the A1's definitely sound better imo and the cable is detachable, a big plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back