Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Aug 27, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,051 of 2,667
You really do have to listen to them first hand, the frequency response chart can only tell you so much.
The bass is solid but by no means are these "bass heavy" the clarity is very much sharp and unadulterated by the lower register. The soundstage is very wide and spacious for an IEM.
They're also quite comfortable over ear.

Might be a bit difficult trying them in the UK (I'm British but staying in Malaysia atm) since they're only in sale in Asia. But they are excellent.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #1,052 of 2,667
You really do have to listen to them first hand, the frequency response chart can only tell you so much.
The bass is solid but by no means are these "bass heavy" the clarity is very much sharp and unadulterated by the lower register. The soundstage is very wide and spacious for an IEM.
They're also quite comfortable over ear.

Might be a bit difficult trying them in the UK (I'm British but staying in Malaysia atm) since they're only in sale in Asia. But they are excellent.

You can easily get them on Amazon as a Japan-Import.  I might just have to check them out someday.

How's the build-quality?  Are they sturdy?

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #1,053 of 2,667
The build quality is very good, they feel strong. The casing is sturdy. The rubbery over ear guides seem to be quite strong and help tremendously with the fit.
Some people have complained that the cable slot on the IEM'S (detachable cables) can become a bit loose however.
I indeed do check them out. While I can only try them on in-store (I ain't got enuff money to spare ) they have left a very good impression.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,054 of 2,667
The build quality is very good, they feel strong. The casing is sturdy. The rubbery over ear guides seem to be quite strong and help tremendously with the fit.
Some people have complained that the cable slot on the IEM'S (detachable cables) can become a bit loose however.
I indeed do check them out. While I can only try them on in-store (I ain't got enuff money to spare ) they have left a very good impression.

Thanks for the impressions!  I'm looking to get a good pair of hybrid-drive IEM's once I have gotten the MDR-1A as my over-ears, so now it looks like I'll need to consider these Sonys you mentioned!

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,055 of 2,667
Have to make a quick decission whether to buy them or not (MDR-1A). They are really cheap atm so Im wondering if i should get em or not. The thing tho is that ive read that few people says edm is not the perfect genre for this headphone?!!

Im listening ALOT to Progressive house, DnB, chillstep and Melodic dubstep so Im worried that it wont sound that greAt? :frowning2: can anyone talk for that?

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,056 of 2,667
I use the 1R out of an iPod Classic, and just love its smoothness. It reminds me a bit of the HD650, very comfy, forgiving, and seductive for vocals and acoustic music. If 1A sounds anything like the 1R, then that's good. Imo.
:beerchug:

And under $210CAD....:cool:

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,057 of 2,667
Have to make a quick decission whether to buy them or not (MDR-1A). They are really cheap atm so Im wondering if i should get em or not. The thing tho is that ive read that few people says edm is not the perfect genre for this headphone?!!

Im listening ALOT to Progressive house, DnB, chillstep and Melodic dubstep so Im worried that it wont sound that greAt?
frown.gif
can anyone talk for that?

EDM is perfectly listenable on the MDR-1A but depending on the track, you might want to EQ down the bass.
Quantity isn't the problem, it's the fact that bass decay is quite long (slow) so massive kick body will dominate, but transients won't be sharp. I.e. Basshead cans without the control.

It's a difficult choice. I've had nicely balanced headphones with tighter bass before the MDR-1A - but they struggled with the quantity and therefore were not fun either. The V-moda M100 has fast bass for EDM and might be worth more to you, but they'll lose to the Sony's in some other area no doubt; mids and soundstage maybe. Can't have it all at this price point, but it's still loads more fun than not having bass at all.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,058 of 2,667

Im listening ALOT to Progressive house, DnB, chillstep and Melodic dubstep so Im worried that it wont sound that greAt?
frown.gif

I don't listen to much EDM but I wouldn't use the MDR-1A for listening to EDM only because the bass is over done and muddy, this is even after I modded the MDR-1A with dynamat and closed off some of the vent hole to tighten up the bass.  Prefer the HE-400 or TH-600 with either Lyr2 or Ember amp for EDM, bass is tight, low and there in quantity.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,060 of 2,667

frown.gif

what headphones do you have? they are pretty good for edm. depending on the sale price point, they will likely be very competitive against other options at that price point, but moving up to the $300-$400 price range can give you some further sonic refinement and a more neutral-sound sig. I do think the 1A's tuning should sound quite nice for electronic type music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back