Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Aug 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #931 of 2,667
Receiving a silver pair of these from a trade in a couple days (but arriving while I'm overseas TT), can't wait to give them a whirl. Absolutely adore the aesthetics, from what I can gather about the sound profile, combined with its looks is going to make it my perfect library/coffee-shop pair. My MDR-10Rs are already massively comfortable, so if these are even better...
basshead.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #932 of 2,667
Can someone compare the MDR-1A to the M50x, especially the bass?

I just picked up the mdr-1a yesterday at a great price so please keep in mind I probably only have about 4-6 hours of total time on them.

I find do the bass to be stronger the m50x's and the headphones to overall to have a bit more clarity. I haven't noticed any "shimmery" treble that some have issue with on the m50x's.

They are noticeably more comfortable with less clamping pressure.

Of the two of you don't need them to collapse like the m50x's the mdr-1a to me sounds and feels much better if you enjoy bass. If you are looking for something with less bass than the M50x you should look elsewhere.

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #933 of 2,667
The M50x has a tighter bass, better isolation and a little better resolution. It's excellent value.

The MDR-1A has a warmer midrange, has a wider soundstage, lighter and most critically; much more comfortable. The M50x are more fit for audio engineers, the MDR-1A are more fit for music listeners.

It's the M50 first gen. which has the nasty shimmer imo. With the M50x and MDR-1A however, the sonic differences are only slight, so I would say it depends more, on how highly you rate comfort, against the added cost of the MDR-1A, and what the primary use will be; monitoring or chilling with some tunes.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #934 of 2,667
1A has a harsher treble than m50x to me, but the mids on the m50x sound unnatural shouty and cold(relatively) in comparison, bass is better on m50x. M50x is a better value it seems to me, but I just enjoy the 1A much more due to its presentation( soundstage immersiveness) and design and comfort.

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #935 of 2,667
1A has a harsher treble than m50x to me, but the mids on the m50x sound unnatural shouty and cold(relatively) in comparison, bass is better on m50x. M50x is a better value it seems to me, but I just enjoy the 1A much more due to its presentation( soundstage immersiveness) and design and comfort.

This is true. I have both of these and the 1A's treble, depending on some songs can be harsh and fatiguing. Bass on the other hand seems more boomier than the M50x, unless you have an amp, which makes it more controlled. MDR-1A definitely has a wider sound stage, more airy and spacious than the M50x. The M50x has better isolation though, stronger clamp, feels more secure. 

If you wear glasses like me, The MDR-1A shines here. It doesn't cause me any discomfort. The m50x can be pretty uncomfortable when paired with glasses after a period of use, regardless thickness of frame/arms, or using pleather or sound pro's velour pads. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #936 of 2,667
The ones that sell for 239 brand-new are the International Edition, which unfortunately IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR SONY'S WARRANTY-COVERAGE!  That. . .could potentially turn out to be a very bad thing, ya know? >_<

How can one verify if they are domestic (USA) or otherwise (before buying, especially online)?

Anyone know where to find USA versions at less than the $299 price, especially since they are now discontinued?

Fry's Electronics lowered the price on the Silver versions to $190, but only after they have no stock. :rolleyes:

Barry

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #937 of 2,667
How can one verify if they are domestic (USA) or otherwise (before buying, especially online)?

Anyone know where to find USA versions at less than the $299 price, especially since they are now discontinued?

Fry's Electronics lowered the price on the Silver versions to $190, but only after they have no stock.
rolleyes.gif

Barry

lol wonder why they would do that...

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #938 of 2,667
From the Sony website I found a list of their online authorized retailers.
Found one with the black version in stock, and they matched Fry's price on the silver.
Happiness is on its way to my house.

Barry

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #942 of 2,667
To folks who own these:  Should I have any real trouble achieving a seal for proper bass-response with these if I happen to wear glasses?  They are fairly thin-framed glasses.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #943 of 2,667
  To folks who own these:  Should I have any real trouble achieving a seal for proper bass-response with these if I happen to wear glasses?  They are fairly thin-framed glasses.

I haven't had any problems when I wear my glasses which have medium size frames but they do sit close to my head so would be hard to say, each person is different.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #944 of 2,667

I haven't had any problems when I wear my glasses which have medium size frames but they do sit close to my head so would be hard to say, each person is different.

Mine sit close to my head too, and have thin frames, so thanks, this is helpful!  That clinches it then, these are what I'm saving up to get next :)

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #945 of 2,667

Mine sit close to my head too, and have thin frames, so thanks, this is helpful!  That clinches it then, these are what I'm saving up to get next :)

I wear both thin and thick frame glasses. The MDR-1A is very very comfortable and I feel no ache or stress on my ears with the either glasses. Totally the opposite in comparison to the clamping of the M50x where it hurts on either glasses. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back