Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Aug 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #916 of 2,667
Hey guys,

is it just me or is the left side of the ear cups a little louder with the vocals? I'm not sure... It honestly irks me a bit right now. The production/sound is normal on both sides.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #917 of 2,667
  Hey guys,

is it just me or is the left side of the ear cups a little louder with the vocals? I'm not sure... It honestly irks me a bit right now. The production/sound is normal on both sides.

If so, it's more likely to be the recording or your electronics,
since the headphone drivers are just passive transducers.

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #918 of 2,667
  Hey guys,

I had this briefly, but not anymore, I didn't bother to investigate further. Adjust the balance of your levels in Windows / whatever device you have for the time being.

It might be:

1) Headphone burn in
2) Brain adapting to soundstage
3) In the recording
4) Headphone imbalance [Use SineGen to test]

Whatever it is, it went away for me, and my levels are balanced.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #919 of 2,667

If so, it's more likely to be the recording or your electronics,
since the headphone drivers are just passive transducers.

Must be my brain haha.

I had this briefly, but not anymore, I didn't bother to investigate further. Adjust the balance of your levels in Windows / whatever device you have for the time being.

It might be:

1) Headphone burn in
2) Brain adapting to soundstage
3) In the recording
4) Headphone imbalance [Use SineGen to test]

Whatever it is, it went away for me, and my levels are balanced.

Yeah thanks. It actually got better now. Guess I had to get used to it, since it's still new. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #920 of 2,667
It may be the headphone panning accuracy is really good. A LOT of engineers pan vocals left and then create a delayed version to the right to make it fatter sounding. I've been able to pick this out in recordings for years on almost any monitors or headphones.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #921 of 2,667
It may be the headphone panning accuracy is really good. A LOT of engineers pan vocals left and then create a delayed version to the right to make it fatter sounding. I've been able to pick this out in recordings for years on almost any monitors or headphones.

That's probably it. When I demo-listened to a pair of MDR-1A's in the store, I noticed that the directional imaging and soundstage on them is EXCELLENT for closed-backs, and they do panned sounds really, really well.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #923 of 2,667
They are very comfortable but get hot to quickly for me here in Hawaii
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #926 of 2,667
  (Where) Can you get velour pads on these? or pleathers for spare?

no official velour pads for these to my knowledge. the stock earpads are made of pleather. should be able to get spare ones from Sony.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #927 of 2,667
  (Where) Can you get velour pads on these? or pleathers for spare?

You can get spares from Sony. I'll warn you, they're not cheap: like $35 AUD for one side only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back