Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Feb 19, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #482 of 2,667
Shock? As in electricity?

That can't be a common issue... :p

Also would hm5 pads even fit these phones? They still have the little clips holding the pads down, don't they?

Yes.  Like If Im sitting on a chair with cloth or my feet are touching floor with carpet and I move around they shock me and it doesnt stop until i stop moving. it hurts :frowning2:

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #483 of 2,667
Yes.  Like If Im sitting on a chair with cloth or my feet are touching floor with carpet and I move around they shock me and it doesnt stop until i stop moving. it hurts :frowning2:

That sucks! I suppose the advantage of using headphones is that there's a leather layer in between you and the metal...

I wonder if other people have that issue as well?

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #484 of 2,667
That sucks! I suppose the advantage of using headphones is that there's a leather layer in between you and the metal...

I wonder if other people have that issue as well?

Im not sure it doesnt seem to be a problem in reviews.   Its definitely pretty annoying though and will make me think twice about ever getting another aluminum housed IEM.  You can hear the crackling in the housing when it happens too so hopefully it isn't doing any damage.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #485 of 2,667
How bad is the cup creaking on these? I had and returned the 1R in the past because every time I'd turn my head one of the cups would creak (in addition to rattling where the cable connects into the jack).

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #487 of 2,667
Got the last pair on a sale, for 120 euro :D

First i bought Sony MDR-1RBT and then hd-650. Unfortually i returned both (bluetooth was more of a hassle then it helped). Loved the sound on the 650, BUT they was to uncomfortable (and i also think they was a bit heavy).

Just reicived them today, and they seems fairly nice. Is this basically the same as the MDR-1RBT, but with cable instead? It was a while i tried the mdr-1R, but first impressions was that the ear-pads was smaller and tighter around the ear. Is it my imagination or is that the case?

Also, are they water-resistant (e.g. raining outside, don't plan to swim with them) or should i be fast when it rains?

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #488 of 2,667
  Also, are they water-resistant (e.g. raining outside, don't plan to swim with them) or should i be fast when it rains?

Well, they aren't advertised as such, so no, they're not water-resistant.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #490 of 2,667

So are you keeping the MDR-1A?

I just reicived them today, and have only used them for 1-2h hours, so can't make a decision yet.
For reference, the most comfortable headphones i've tried is my old hd201. They're probably 5yo and almost no clamp, lightweight and comfy's earmud. 

I will mainly use this in the home and thus i have no need for noise-canceling etc. If you're commuting, using these outside or simular, i can see this beeing an amazing headphone.

What i like so far:
+great sound
+great bass (not a bass-head though)
+short cable (can't stress this enough)
+looks amazing
+Light-weight!
+leather-earpads (prefer those to cloth)

What i dislike
-slight noice-canceling
-a little to small ear-pads (which might be something i'll just get used to, since i'm used to hd201)

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #491 of 2,667

I just reicived them today, and have only used them for 1-2h hours, so can't make a decision yet.
For reference, the most comfortable headphones i've tried is my old hd201. They're probably 5yo and almost no clamp, lightweight and comfy's earmud. 

Awesome. I keep reading about how comfortable they are.

Do you like them better than the HD 650?

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #492 of 2,667

Awesome. I keep reading about how comfortable they are.

Do you like them better than the HD 650?

Well, they're made for totally different purposes. They have different qualities, but i need to be able to wear the head-phones all day when i'm working on the computer. The Hd-650 didn't work for me, but they sounded great though. If you just want the best hifi-phones, get the 650. If you prefer a lighter phone, which you can easy take on the ride to work etc. get mdr-1

(btw. the ear-pads on mdr-1r and mdr-1a is different. 1A is tighter. I found the 1R to be most comfortable)
pics: (1A on top, 1R bottom)

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #493 of 2,667

Well, they're made for totally different purposes. They have different qualities, but i need to be able to wear the head-phones all day when i'm working on the computer. The Hd-650 didn't work for me, but they sounded great though. If you just want the best hifi-phones, get the 650. If you prefer a lighter phone, which you can easy take on the ride to work etc. get mdr-1

(btw. the ear-pads on mdr-1r and mdr-1a is different. 1A is tighter. I found the 1R to be most comfortable)
pics: (1A on top, 1R bottom)

Thanks.  It makes sense the 650s are on a level above the  1As SQ wise.  Did the 650s have enough Bass for your taste? 

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #494 of 2,667

Thanks.  It makes sense the 650s are on a level above the  1As SQ wise.  Did the 650s have enough Bass for your taste? 

What are your needs? You certainly would never use the 650s as portables (which is the forte of the 1A). As well, the 1A are quite easy to drive. I owned the 650s and feel the 1A have enough in common that they are worth listening to.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #495 of 2,667

What are your needs? You certainly would never use the 650s as portables (which is the forte of the 1A). As well, the 1A are quite easy to drive. I owned the 650s and feel the 1A have enough in common that they are worth listening to.

Well if I'm being honest with myself they wouldn't get much portable use. They would mostly be used at home & work using a desktop, laptop, and smart phone connected to an Dragonfly dac/amp. Looking for warm smooth sound and good bass but comfort is also important. I hate bright headphones.  I dont have a small head either.  I find the M50s fatiguing/uncomfortable to wear now but the pads are also pretty worn/hard as they are just over 2 years old now so it's probably not a very good benchmark to use. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back