Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jan 5, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #301 of 2,667
The MDR-1A is nice because it's a stylish, well built headphone that is super comfy, the earcups are big enough (vs say the Momentum) with an easy to drive portable design. They sound non-fatiguing and fun with anything you connect it to or play. The sound quality is on a level that is more than acceptable for "on the go" given its other virtues. Now is the sound as good as the Momentum or the NAD HP50? Not entirerly. However when taken as a package they are likely a better portable headphone than most.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #302 of 2,667
 Now is the sound as good as the Momentum or the NAD HP50? Not entirerly.

they're not as good as viso hp50? really?

in what way? i was considering portable headphone. msr7 is off my list due to clamping force. and now i come to mdr-1a... i was hoping for good things...

viso hp50 doesn't impress me at all, the little time i listened to them... if this is worse ill cross it off my list easily

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #304 of 2,667
The MDR-1A's bass isn't comparitively as tight as some and the upper end is detailed but relaxed perhaps a tad too much - but just a tad. Mind you it's still a fine headphone to be wearing and hearing. It's super comfortable and may spoil you in portable comfort.

I've heard the Momentum and think that's pretty much the best closed headphone I've heard. It's so smooth and neutral but it's also non folding with smallish ear cups. The NAD HP50 is the headphone that knocked the Momentum off Inner Fidelity's Wall of Fame. But I've never hear the NAD myself. However I can infer from this that they are around the sound quality of the Momentum. I'd consider the MDR-1A more of a fun relaxing signature that does not directly compete with neutral headphones like the Momentum or MSR7.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #305 of 2,667
The MDR-1A's bass isn't comparitively as tight as some and the upper end is detailed but relaxed perhaps a tad too much - but just a tad. Mind you it's still a fine headphone to be wearing and hearing. It's super comfortable and may spoil you in portable comfort.

I've heard the Momentum and think that's pretty much the best closed headphone I've heard. It's so smooth and neutral but it's also non folding with smallish ear cups. The NAD HP50 is the headphone that knocked the Momentum off Inner Fidelity's Wall of Fame. But I've never hear the NAD myself. However I can infer from this that they are around the sound quality of the Momentum. I'd consider the MDR-1A more of a fun signature that does not directly compete with neutral headphones like the Momentum or MSR7.

i've heard the momentum over-ear. im not impressed at all with it. partially because it's priced at $550 where im at.
well from the start i dont like bassy headphone, but momentum doesn't do anything to me. particularly treble detail.

yeah HP50 is arguably subjectively better than momentum over-ear. that's a given. doesn't have to be an expert like innerfidelity to know that...

but if mdr-1a can't beat the hp50 then i'll pass.... it's the same price where i'm at so the decision is easy. the hp50 is the one to get sound-wise.

it's a little warm for me...

thanks for the info though!

if only they make msr7 clamp force a lot less tight

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #306 of 2,667
I'm not sure the NAD will be any more comfy from what little I've gathered. I could be wrong. It's hard to compare the Sony to others in a way. It's not chasing neutrality by any means. I like it, but I'm not sure you will know until you give it a listen.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #307 of 2,667
I'm not sure the NAD will be any more comfy from what little I've gathered. I could be wrong. It's hard to compare the Sony to others in a way. It's not chasing neutrality by any means. I like it, but I'm not sure you will know until you give it a listen.

i know what mdr-1r mk2 sounds like... it's good enough. i guess the mdr-1A improvement is not for me...

the NAD hp50 is comfy enough. sony is the master of comfort really. my daily headphone is the sony mdr-ma900. and it's the most comfortable headphone i've tried.

based on your report MSR7 is a no-no for me. i cant stand m50... and i can emphatize on the headache part as well...

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #308 of 2,667
I've noted there isn't as many closed back options as I would have thought. There is one flaw or another when it comes to these headphones. Closed backed headphones are likely compromised by design nature. Most of the best headphones are open backed.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #309 of 2,667
i was at one time specifically looking for a closed-back headphone. but a detailed bright closed headphone, probably different with your preference.

shure 940 is a very good closed back headphone, if you're talking soundstage. at $300 it's really good. it has great detail and great transparency as well.

it's just awfully built and not at all portable. i'm selling mine for ~$150 shipped. haha.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #310 of 2,667
Well just got these (139€ with shipping VAT included 24%) well mega fast review: Reminds lots of my DT990's but closed and tad funnier + bassier (Finally more sub bass). A way better that those Sony MDR-10RC.. Now I need to think which are best for me Philips X1/X2, DT990 or MDR-1A 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #312 of 2,667

Agree with BenKatz had said, I myself also testing the MDR-1R with the other headphones you mentioned.
MDR-1R had better soundstage and comfort than the rest hence I brought it.
However now it is sitting in my storeroom, soon I might put it up on Ebay for sale.

As coincidence has it, a few months back whan I got the older MDR-1R (basically a 1A with less kick, especially in the bass section), I tested them in the store I bought them from against the Mometums and K550 (basically like the K551), and in the end found the 1R better than both of them OVERALL, hence I decided to buy the 1R. From my ears, the 1R was better than the k550 on every audio quality level, the K550 being better at isolating, and when compared to the Momentum, the 1R had better comfort, bass, and soundstage than the Sennheisers, whereas the Momentum seemed to have a bit more clarity.

Now considering that I tested and bought the MDR 1A a month ago, and A/B tested it with my Burned-In, Dynamat extreme-modded 1R, I'd say the 1A is comfortably superior to these 2 headsets. 

That's just my 2 cents. 

Hi

thanks guys! I did return the Momentums didn't bother with even opening the box. However the box was nice :D.
The AKG K551 have also been returned.

I am also considering the PSB M4U 1...

Cheers

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #313 of 2,667
I modified the MDR-1R remote plug to fit in MDR-1A and does not work, sound only in R, R and L only if I press play button, also volume (+ and - buttons) don't work.
Any idea what else to modify?
Tested with iPhone 5S and iPod Classic 7th gen.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #315 of 2,667
Sony just announced the bluetooth version, the MDR-1ABT with touch controls. Not sure about noise cancelling, since it mentions "noise suppression", but that might only be for calls. Expected release apparently sometime in spring.
Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7493183/ces-2015-sony-MDR-1ABT-touch
Very interested in those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back