Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 29, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #271 of 2,667
  After reading all the comments here, I feel pretty convinced to buy these. Just a few queries I hope some of you folks can help me out with:

Are the pads replaceable?
If I don't amp, am I missing out on much?
The original MDR-1R had a few concerns about build quality, specifically around the cable rattling. Any here?
Are the mic controls for iPhone's (ie. 3 buttons) or general smartphones (1 button)?
I'm new to the headphone game (I used IEM's exclusively before), so would these be a good 'beginner' set?

Regarding "beginner" set, I don't believe you can call any headphone beginner or not, as there's no complexity of use. The MDR-1A are premium, expensive, incredible sounding headphones. So It's a good choice, as they're probably (overall) one of the best cans to pair with a smartphone out there.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #272 of 2,667
Also compared to Bose QC 2 (have them for over 10 years now) the 1A are better in sound quality but not in isolation (well QC are NC).
In my test 1R against QC 2, the QC 2 was the winner in sound quality. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #273 of 2,667
Nah, I say beginner, because some headphones are so ridiculously balanced and clear, it's actually off-putting for people new to hi-fi. This has more of a 'fun' factor, from the sounds of it.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #274 of 2,667
Hi there

I have now also placed on order for the 1a's, however they are on backorder and I will not receive them until the 26th of Jan :frowning2:. I have also purchased them from the Swedish store where they are selling them for aprox. $127.

At the moment I have the Sennheiser Momentum (got them new for $178) over ear coming in today (hopefully) and I have the AKG K551s(got them new for $127) on trial. It would have been nice to have tested all three at the same time but will not be possible.
My consisting gear is the Beyerdynamic DT531 and the AKG K495NC

..... decisions

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #275 of 2,667
It would have been nice to have tested all three at the same time but will not be possible.
My previous gear consists of the Beyerdynamic DT531 and the AKG K495NC

..... decisions

I did test few high end headphones Sensheiser,AKG,Sony in a store including the Ultrasone Edition 8 and got spoiled by the Ultrasone but they cost 1300EUR, I could get a deal for 700 EUR on eBay but still too expensive. I live not fare from the Ultrasone manufacturer and will go there for a test of the whole production line and compare to MDR-1A but Ultrasone Edition 8 is superior to all other high end Audiophile headphones I ever tested.
Any suggestions what songs to take for a test? I usual take Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (album), Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (album) and Sophie Zelmani - Majas Song

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #276 of 2,667
  Hi there

I have now also placed on order for the 1a's, however they are on backorder and I will not receive them until the 26th of Jan :frowning2:. I have also purchased them from the Swedish store where they are selling them for aprox. $127.

At the moment I have the Sennheiser Momentum (got them new for $178) over ear coming in today (hopefully) and I have the AKG K551s(got them new for $127) on trial. It would have been nice to have tested all three at the same time but will not be possible.

..... decisions

As coincidence has it, a few months back whan I got the older MDR-1R (basically a 1A with less kick, especially in the bass section), I tested them in the store I bought them from against the Mometums and K550 (basically like the K551), and in the end found the 1R better than both of them OVERALL, hence I decided to buy the 1R. From my ears, the 1R was better than the k550 on every audio quality level, the K550 being better at isolating, and when compared to the Momentum, the 1R had better comfort, bass, and soundstage than the Sennheisers, whereas the Momentum seemed to have a bit more clarity.

Now considering that I tested and bought the MDR 1A a month ago, and A/B tested it with my Burned-In, Dynamat extreme-modded 1R, I'd say the 1A is comfortably superior to these 2 headsets. 

That's just my 2 cents. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #277 of 2,667
  Hi there

..... decisions

Agree with BenKatz had said, I myself also testing the MDR-1R with the other headphones you mentioned.
MDR-1R had better soundstage and comfort than the rest hence I brought it.
However now it is sitting in my storeroom, soon I might put it up on Ebay for sale.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #279 of 2,667
How is the MDR-1A when used in a quiet library? Will it leak sound?
Or when used on a bus, will it isolate well enough?

Leaks too much for me and isolates too little for me
If you're on a iPhone, anything above 5 or 6 notches on the volume control and it'll start to leak, not too bad for home use but for a silent library I guess it'll be pretty noticeable. But libraries are never dead silent anyways so I guess if you're not a loud listener you should be okay.
As many have discussed you sacrifice isolation for the comfort on these headphones. Isolation is definitely not good enough for me

Just got the MDR-1a a couple days ago, but due to Christmas festivities haven't had much time to listen to them. However one thing I've noticed about my pair after careful examination of them (my OCD always compels me to examine new products for any defects) I have noticed that the drivers are different color. One is a deep bronze/copper color like shown on the back of the box and the other is a lighter grayish color. Is this normal for everyone else? Should I be concernd with sound quality? Is one driver possibly more coated with aluminum than the other?

Mine has a bronze color for both left and right cups

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #281 of 2,667
And on a pc using spotify? How many percent volume can you have on spotify and pc before it leaks? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #282 of 2,667
I just ordered up the MDR-1A in silver. I wanted an easy going, comfy, portable, closed backed headphone that would mate well with the PHA-3. I also ordered up the Momentum in Ivory but that's backordered for now at Amazon. When they both come in I will do a detailed comparison to the best of my abilities. I agonized over which color to get on the Sony and decided the silver was more slick and cohiesive. Same with the Ivory on the Momentum, it just provides a nice contrast to the ear pads whereas black just blends in too much.

Edit: Oh and I just wanted to say that the Asian girl(s) who modeled the MDR-1A at Sony's MDR launch event and in the overseas commercials was smoking hot. Sony knows how to market these quite well over there.

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #283 of 2,667

Sorry but I have no expreience with spotify. However, for home listening you should have no problems. If it helps, I listen on 57-60db measured using the CanOpener App and doesnt leak ( with some mild traffic in the background )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back