Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 15, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #211 of 2,667
  I went to the Sony Store fully intent on buying the 1R to save $100 thinking the 1A couldn't be much better.  I left the store with the 1A.
In doing A/B comparison at the store hooked up to the new A17 player, I thought the difference was quite dramatic.  I was floored really.  

It's a bit confusing as I'm reading some comparisons here stating they're very similar still.  Could this have to do with amplification?
Even though they both have the same sensitivity of 105db, the 1A was quite a bit louder.  At the same perceived loudness, the 1A was at 20/30 while the 1R needed to be at 25/30.
The 1A was very punchy, clear, and airy while the 1R was very muddle and soft.  It felt like the A17 was too weak to drive 1R maybe.  1A's 22ohms vs 1R's 40ohms difference?

Anyway, I felt like the 1A was the perfect match to the A17 which I'm using now.  Pure portable bliss really.  It sounds pretty amazing with my BB Z30 too surprisingly.  
I will get a chance to try it later with a headphone amp.  I'm curious to see if it can actually get even better. 

Bass got tighter and slightly more clarity overall for me after about 50hrs of use.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #212 of 2,667
  I went to the Sony Store fully intent on buying the 1R to save $100 thinking the 1A couldn't be much better.  I left the store with the 1A.
In doing A/B comparison at the store hooked up to the new A17 player, I thought the difference was quite dramatic.  I was floored really.  

It's a bit confusing as I'm reading some comparisons here stating they're very similar still.  Could this have to do with amplification?
Even though they both have the same sensitivity of 105db, the 1A was quite a bit louder.  At the same perceived loudness, the 1A was at 20/30 while the 1R needed to be at 25/30.
The 1A was very punchy, clear, and airy while the 1R was very muddle and soft.  It felt like the A17 was too weak to drive 1R maybe.  1A's 22ohms vs 1R's 40ohms difference?

Anyway, I felt like the 1A was the perfect match to the A17 which I'm using now.  Pure portable bliss really.  It sounds pretty amazing with my BB Z30 too surprisingly.  
I will get a chance to try it later with a headphone amp.  I'm curious to see if it can actually get even better. 

Yeah.

I've owned the MDR 1R (Dynamat modded). It was pretty good, especially with the mod which helped a bit with the clarity and bass tightness. I did however have to use a portable amp (Fiio E11K) in order to get a good volume level out of it, and make the bass more punchy, as the 1R isn't too bassy for some genres. 

I later got the MDR 1A and the thing is there was a clear difference as I tested them vs my 100hr burned-in, Dynamat modded 1Rs in the store (I wasn't gonna buy the 1A's if the difference didn't justify the money). The sound is overal clearer, the bass much improved both in size and tightness, and again, that's vs a modded, burned in 1R. That is on account of new drivers and wiring.

The other huge difference is in the design. Though very similar at a distance, there's a few details that make a LOT of difference. The pads are thicker, which (for me) makes them more comfortable, have a more secure fit on the head, and improve both isolation and bass. The jack connector is redesign and has NO rattle, it actually looks much more stylish now with the gold plating on the outside, the cables seem smoother and no longer become crazy rigid when exposed to cold weather (below 10 degrees C), the cups now rotate the other way, towards your chest, which makes them easier to walk with on your neck, the aluminium cups are no longer smooth but have a specked finish, and the whole unit is now truly completely silent, due to hinge redesign i assume.

I'm about 40hr into burning in my 1As, and yesterday I Dynamat modded it. And it's pretty worth it. I just used 2 small round pieces of dynamat extreme (40mm in size) right in the centre of the housing, opposing the driver's back. It helps moderately with clarity and more bass tightness, without taking away bass volume, so it's worth it I'd say.

As for volume, that has to do with better bass response from the Drivers, and, moreover, due to a 24ohm impedance vs 48ohm on the 1R. I used them both on my Xperia Z3 and the difference is indeed noticeable, and I believe the Z3's audio internals (High res playback, DSEE HX processing) is pretty much the same as the A17, probably even as far as amplification goes, so at max Volume, with a good flac file, the volume is just good enough...though I am awaiting a rooting method WITHOUT having to unlock the bootloader for the Z3 (was available for the Z1 and Z2) to unlock that stupid volume limit Sony uses in their Xperia range. 

I did it on my old Z1, the max volume is normally set to level 14, max being 20. When I set the volume limit on the Z1 to 20 (it's done by editing a file in the phone's root, pretty simple, on the device, with a file explorer, and a restart), with the 1A the max volume is, let's say, not good for your eardrums after 10 minutes :)

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #213 of 2,667

Congrats on your new 1A ! Looks like you're really enjoying it ! 

The difference is dramatic till I gave my 1R away to my friend. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #215 of 2,667
It's funny, people keep saying 1R is 100 bucks cheaper. Over here it's the OPPOSITE, the 1A is actually CHEAPER than 1R. xD

Sony 1A is 150~170€ (corresponding ~$199)
Sony 1R is 190€+ :D (corresponding ~$230)

I think the choice is easy haha.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #216 of 2,667
That's how the 1R sounds, you made the right choice with the 1A by a long shot.

SONY really dropped the ball with the 1R, but in 2years they have redeemed themselves.

The 1R was an excellent headset as long as you used it amped, with a portable headphone amp or as a home listening headphone. In those circumstances, it really is better than say the Momentum, because it offers a wider soundstage and better sub bass (not to mention wider frequency response). 

The problem is it was also advertised as a portable headphone, sold with an inline mic remote in order to be used with mobile devices. And this is where it failed, because firstly it was a rather high impedance headset (48 ohm is way too much for almost all mobile devices), and it didn't have great tight bass, which is needed for the music that most of the 20-30 yr olds listen to on the go. It also didn't have great isolation, which made it bad for daily commute. 

It was really like a made for listening at home on a good amp headphone, a great one at that, with a weak attempt to adapt it for the street, where it lagged behind the competition.

If you look at all they did with the 1A, much better bass, much better isolation due to new earpads and half the impedance, earcups that swivle the RIGHT way, they did what they should have done to make it more street. And it's among the best portable over ear headphones you can get for up to 500 dollars I'd venture to say, and I compared it with quite a few headsets (though mostly +/- 300 dollar ones).

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #217 of 2,667
  It's funny, people keep saying 1R is 100 bucks cheaper. Over here it's the OPPOSITE, the 1A is actually CHEAPER than 1R. xD

Sony 1A is 150~170€ (corresponding ~$199)
Sony 1R is 190€+ :D (corresponding ~$230)

I think the choice is easy haha.

I don't know about euro stuff, but I've seen the mdr-1r as low as $180 a few months after release. anything above $200 for the MDR-1R is over-priced imo.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #218 of 2,667
  Yeah.

I've owned the MDR 1R (Dynamat modded). It was pretty good, especially with the mod which helped a bit with the clarity and bass tightness. I did however have to use a portable amp (Fiio E11K) in order to get a good volume level out of it, and make the bass more punchy, as the 1R isn't too bassy for some genres. 

I later got the MDR 1A and the thing is there was a clear difference as I tested them vs my 100hr burned-in, Dynamat modded 1Rs in the store (I wasn't gonna buy the 1A's if the difference didn't justify the money). The sound is overal clearer, the bass much improved both in size and tightness, and again, that's vs a modded, burned in 1R. That is on account of new drivers and wiring.

The other huge difference is in the design. Though very similar at a distance, there's a few details that make a LOT of difference. The pads are thicker, which (for me) makes them more comfortable, have a more secure fit on the head, and improve both isolation and bass. The jack connector is redesign and has NO rattle, it actually looks much more stylish now with the gold plating on the outside, the cables seem smoother and no longer become crazy rigid when exposed to cold weather (below 10 degrees C), the cups now rotate the other way, towards your chest, which makes them easier to walk with on your neck, the aluminium cups are no longer smooth but have a specked finish, and the whole unit is now truly completely silent, due to hinge redesign i assume.

I'm about 40hr into burning in my 1As, and yesterday I Dynamat modded it. And it's pretty worth it. I just used 2 small round pieces of dynamat extreme (40mm in size) right in the centre of the housing, opposing the driver's back. It helps moderately with clarity and more bass tightness, without taking away bass volume, so it's worth it I'd say.

As for volume, that has to do with better bass response from the Drivers, and, moreover, due to a 24ohm impedance vs 48ohm on the 1R. I used them both on my Xperia Z3 and the difference is indeed noticeable, and I believe the Z3's audio internals (High res playback, DSEE HX processing) is pretty much the same as the A17, probably even as far as amplification goes, so at max Volume, with a good flac file, the volume is just good enough...though I am awaiting a rooting method WITHOUT having to unlock the bootloader for the Z3 (was available for the Z1 and Z2) to unlock that stupid volume limit Sony uses in their Xperia range. 

I did it on my old Z1, the max volume is normally set to level 14, max being 20. When I set the volume limit on the Z1 to 20 (it's done by editing a file in the phone's root, pretty simple, on the device, with a file explorer, and a restart), with the 1A the max volume is, let's say, not good for your eardrums after 10 minutes :)

How do you disassemble the headphones to do the Dynamat mod? 

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #219 of 2,667
Excellent info guys.  Good to confirm what my ears suspected.  Learning alot as I'm somewhat new with headphones stuff.
Looking for another cheaper decent pair for work but nothing comes close the the 1A of all I've tried thus far.
Might have to bite the bullet and buy another 1A when it goes on sale.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #220 of 2,667
  How do you disassemble the headphones to do the Dynamat mod? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r

Check out this thread. It's about Dynamat modding the MDR 1R, which is almost identica, and so it's the perfect tutorial. Just follow it, it's the same as for the MDR 1A, though i'd suggest cutting only a small piece of about 40 mm diameter max (just as big as the driver). Read the 1st post only. There will be other posting about alternative modding, some with acoustic foam, screw that. Acoustic foam is not needed on the MDR 1A, and wasn't even on the 1R for my ears. It kills the bass. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #221 of 2,667
  I don't know about euro stuff, but I've seen the mdr-1r as low as $180 a few months after release. anything above $200 for the MDR-1R is over-priced imo.

Well those prices have VAT included 24% I found 1a 139€ ~ 141$ without VAT(if I calculated right).. I was going to buy philips x2 to upgrade my DT990 pro because I found that x1 was pleasure when compararing to dt990pro 250ohm.. But I want to test these sonys because they are more like semi open design (like bass-port on the top of the cup) so their sound stage wont be too bad and I want some insulation cos my kid will do enough "own voices".. Already bought Sony MDR-10RC at 59€ for my GF (christmas present) and she can finally forget those awful microsoft lifechat headset + I get little sneak peak about the upcoming MDR-1a :) 

That dynamat :) well best cheap mod (without buying powerful amp) from car hifi to get fuller/tighter and more bass. Dynamat for the sturdiness and accoustic foam is more like closed stuff to make right case volume to match perfect sound..

RPGWiZaRD 
kannattaa miettiä tuota philips x2:sta (markantalo 242€ to 17.12).. x1 oli aika samantyylinen kuin tuo dt990, mutta hauskempi (minusta hyvä upgrade ilman diskantti piikkiä), ainoa miinus oli että basso ei ollu yhtä tiukka/jämäkkä/iskevä kuin DT990:ssä ja punottu johto pitää oman äänensä, kun paitaan hankautuu..
I remember that we both loved xb500 in the past and hated dt770 :)
Sorry about the finnish :wink:

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #222 of 2,667
  The 1R was an excellent headset as long as you used it amped, with a portable headphone amp or as a home listening headphone. In those circumstances, it really is better than say the Momentum, because it offers a wider soundstage and better sub bass (not to mention wider frequency response). 

The problem is it was also advertised as a portable headphone, sold with an inline mic remote in order to be used with mobile devices. And this is where it failed, because firstly it was a rather high impedance headset (48 ohm is way too much for almost all mobile devices), and it didn't have great tight bass, which is needed for the music that most of the 20-30 yr olds listen to on the go. It also didn't have great isolation, which made it bad for daily commute. 

It was really like a made for listening at home on a good amp headphone, a great one at that, with a weak attempt to adapt it for the street, where it lagged behind the competition.

If you look at all they did with the 1A, much better bass, much better isolation due to new earpads and half the impedance, earcups that swivle the RIGHT way, they did what they should have done to make it more street. And it's among the best portable over ear headphones you can get for up to 500 dollars I'd venture to say, and I compared it with quite a few headsets (though mostly +/- 300 dollar ones).

Totally agree with you as I owned both the 1RMKII and 1A.
1RMKII needs to be amp in order to sound nice if not the sound will be quite dull since the bass is not audible and not to mention low frequency.
I recently brought the 1A with the Sony 3.5mm custom cable, the custom cable have EMI shielding which prevents noise disturbance.
It was a good purchase over the Z7 as initially I thought of z7 but give the brightness and problems with the mid during my testing
I drop the idea of owning the Z7.
My 1A is just a month old, I have not burn it thoroughly yet even when I'm blasting heavy beats and techno to warm the driver up.
Soon be getting the stereo plug custom to test with my Onkyo THX amp and in the future PHA-3 with the custom balanced cables.
For me I'm just getting started but my old Sony MDR-1R MKII is now resting, wanted to sell but it's hard getting the right buyer.
Btw I'm from Singapore, nice to see guys like me who use Sony headphones. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #223 of 2,667
I just got these in silver and Brown trim. Impressions out of box was very nice and simply presentation. Comes with warranty , two cables , pouch and headphones. Both cables are 1.2m long. The build is gorgeous, seriously, you need to see it in person. It is light but doesn't feel cheap at all. On contrary these are some luxurious headphones. It's more like a metallic grey which is beautiful in person and so clean. The Brown leather is perfect with it. This leather is extremely soft and comfortable. I mean very soft.

Initial sound impressions? Wow I'm impressed! As everyone stated here, the bass is tight , punchy and very crisp! This is some impressive bass. It is not muffled like other headphones aimed for mainstream such as monsters or beats. But yet the bass sounds even better and even funner. I am no audiophile as of yet, I'm coming from XB500s. I purchased monster ncredibles npulses and hated them and returned them. Then purchased these. If soundstage is what how wide/deep the music feels than this has great soundstage! It feels like you're in a club with speakers around you shooting crisp music at you. It is very nice and makes you want to keep listening. This works great with edm. And I'm talking hq YouTube files off my HTC m8, not any high res files. You can feel that this has potential for much more. But even mp3 files sound great. This isn't too loud like monsters which hurt your ears and start fizzing at high volume.This volume is perfect and sounds great at 90%.

The headphones are smaller than you think. I haven't tried high res files(partly because I don't know how to make them or if my phone can play it) but they are good enough for me. I don't see these as overpriced at all, maybe because it's my first time purchasing 300$ headphones . They are must get in my opinion.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #224 of 2,667
Bought one myself yesterday from Frys.  I didn't expect much from such a mainstream headphones and I'm impressed during my first listen.  For the price, it gets my strong recommendation.  Bass is a tad overdone (but very enjoyable) for my taste. Soundstage can be a little bit more open, but this is a $300 phones we are talking about.  Sound great right out of my Sony NWZ-A17 and noticeably better when properly amp.  With a good amp, the bass notes are rendered with more control.  I need to drive this thing balanced out of the PHA-3 and my Headamp GS-X MKII and see how far they will scale.  Very comfortable and the finished/fit is first rated.  Nice job Sony.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #225 of 2,667
I just got these in silver and Brown trim. Impressions out of box was very nice and simply presentation. Comes with warranty , two cables , pouch and headphones. Both cables are 1.2m long. The build is gorgeous, seriously, you need to see it in person. It is light but doesn't feel cheap at all. On contrary these are some luxurious headphones. It's more like a metallic grey which is beautiful in person and so clean. The Brown leather is perfect with it. This leather is extremely soft and comfortable. I mean very soft.

Initial sound impressions? Wow I'm impressed! As everyone stated here, the bass is tight , punchy and very crisp! This is some impressive bass. It is not muffled like other headphones aimed for mainstream such as monsters or beats. But yet the bass sounds even better and even funner. I am no audiophile as of yet, I'm coming from XB500s. I purchased monster ncredibles npulses and hated them and returned them. Then purchased these. If soundstage is what how wide/deep the music feels than this has great soundstage! It feels like you're in a club with speakers around you shooting crisp music at you. It is very nice and makes you want to keep listening. This works great with edm. And I'm talking hq YouTube files off my HTC m8, not any high res files. You can feel that this has potential for much more. But even mp3 files sound great. This isn't too loud like monsters which hurt your ears and start fizzing at high volume.This volume is perfect and sounds great at 90%.

The headphones are smaller than you think. I haven't tried high res files(partly because I don't know how to make them or if my phone can play it) but they are good enough for me. I don't see these as overpriced at all, maybe because it's my first time purchasing 300$ headphones . They are must get in my opinion.

Beats headphone are overrated and now since Apple brought it over it will be super overrated and over priced.
For what I know, those who use Beats they only buy it for the sake of the brand but not the sound.
Not forgetting that in my country there are fake Beats sold here which makes it even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back