Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #181 of 2,667
I've got a curiosity in case anyone can answer me. Sony's site claims the mdr 1a has an improved cable with oxygen free copper, separate ground and signal connection for each driver. Would this apply to both cables provided, or is this reference only about the cable without the line mic?

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #183 of 2,667
At first I got a pair of  MDR1aDAC but sent them  back in a week or so.
ADAC  sounded better without using the DAC part than with it.
Looks like the DAC built in those phones is worst than the one used in  NWZ-A17.

Sent DAC back and got a simple MDR1A model.

Compared to different (price range $100- $750)  headphones, this one is sounding very well with an over averaged bass punch.

If you are looking for a new pair of headphones, I would highly suggest you to check them out.

They are also very light and comfortable.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #188 of 2,667
Hm... Anybody think their left cup is just slightly weaker in volume than the right? And/or the left cup is more angled compared to the right, making your left ear a little uncomfortable?

My ears also touch the driver, right ear barely notices it, left ear finds discomfort too often.

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #189 of 2,667
  At first I got a pair of  MDR1aDAC but sent them  back in a week or so.
ADAC  sounded better without using the DAC part than with it.
Looks like the DAC built in those phones is worst than the one used in  NWZ-A17.

Sent DAC back and got a simple MDR1A model.

Can you compare what exactly are the differences in sound when using the built-in DAC part in MDR-1ADAC (because often these things are rather subjective in terms of what's better/worse since everyone has their own taste in sound)?  

I'm interested only because the ADAC model is probably mistakingly sold for pretty much the same price as the regular 1A model on some site in Finland.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #190 of 2,667
  Hm... Anybody think their left cup is just slightly weaker in volume than the right? And/or the left cup is more angled compared to the right, making your left ear a little uncomfortable?

My ears also touch the driver, right ear barely notices it, left ear finds discomfort too often.

Not mine. It either has something to do with your ear shape, humans aren't perfectly symmetrical (left/right side of the face). Or, if that's not the case, than it might be a design fault (manufacturing mistake) in your unit. I suggest trying out a different 1A headset at your local store, and if that one fits better, exchange/return your unit.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #191 of 2,667
I tried both QC25 and Momentums before and I felt that they clamped somewhat more than compared to the MDR-1A, head size maybe? I have a relatively small head.

Haven't tried the QC25 (not interested in noise cancelling headphones due to the sacrifice they need to make in terms of audio quality) but I did test the momentums. I have a fairly larger than average head, and from my experience the Momentums had more clamping force, smaller earcups, and felt much much less confortable. That, combined with the fact that they sound overall worse than the new MDR 1A (I would say they were on par, if not a bit better than the 1R), makes the 1A a no brainer. 

The Momentum however use more premium materials and genuine leather. That however makes them significantly heavier, which in turn worsens the comfort level, especially during long listening sessions. 

I had the 1R, now the 1A, and I use them about 7 hours a day at work. They feel like pillows on my ears, very very comfortable and light.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #192 of 2,667
Built in headphones DAC made everything sound like when you put a bucket on your head.
To better understand, try to use a NWZA17 with any bright headphones and switch ClearAudio+  ON .
That how it was with that DAC headphones .
On top of this, when you listen them through the DAC, all settings on your player are disabled.
You get what headphones give you and that is it.

In US, you can order any Sony headphones and try them for 14 days.
If you decide to return them with in that period, it only cost you $6 to send them back.
It's pretty much like renting any new headphones for 38 cents a day.
No restocking fees or any questions asked.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #194 of 2,667
I received my 1A's a couple of weeks ago.  I have to say that the comfort level is reeeaaaallly nice, for my head/ears.

I use these headphones for either DJing (mixer headphone out) or music production (RME Fireface UCX built-in headphone amp).  In both scenarios I was very happy with the clarity and overall sound character.  For DJing the sound isolation from the padding is good.

These replaced an old pair of MDR-V700's, which are a good DJ headphone, but are not durable due to weak hinges.  Compared to the V700, these are over-the-ear and much more comfortable.  1A also has a higher quality feel and should be more durable with no hinges.  Also the storage bag included is made of some rugged thick material that can take a little abuse and not look like ****.

The only complaint is that one of the cables it comes with should be longer, but that can be fixed by buying another 3rd party cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back