Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jul 27, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #872 of 2,667
I can't paste links (trust me I've tried like 10 times now, it keeps deleting my posts
frown.gif
). New user restriction I guess.

Just try to find them on the Sony site. They're buried under:

Home / Discontinued Products / Discontinued Portable Audio / Discontinued Headphones & Earbuds / Premium Hi-Res Stereo headphones

(or just Google them)

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #873 of 2,667
I can't paste links (trust me I've tried like 10 times now, it keeps deleting my posts :frowning2: ). New user restriction I guess.

Just try to find them on the Sony site. They're buried under:

Home / Discontinued Products / Discontinued Portable Audio / Discontinued Headphones & Earbuds / Premium Hi-Res Stereo headphones

(or just Google them)

Yes, a couple more posts and you can post links and pictures.

Here is the link showing that they are discontinued. Very weird indeed:

http://store.sony.com/premium-hi-res-stereo-headphones-zid27-MDR1A//cat-27-catid-EOL-Headphones-Earbuds

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #874 of 2,667
Yes, a couple more posts and you can post links and pictures.

Here is the link showing that they are discontinued. Very weird indeed:

http://store.sony.com/premium-hi-res-stereo-headphones-zid27-MDR1A//cat-27-catid-EOL-Headphones-Earbuds

wow, that was fast that they are discontinued.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #877 of 2,667
Hey guys...

I'm seriously having a huge issue with Sony's headphones right now. Sony has million versions of the MDR series... It's freaking crazy. I can't get a hold of it. 

I want to buy the MDR-1A obviously.As I'm writing in this thread... But I'm not sure if I'm actually buying the right version. Sometimes, the headphone is titled as MDR-1AB, sometimes it is MDR-1A/B. I mean, what? This is so mixed up. 

I'm from Germany... And I'm damn confused. 

-> http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4627484I-1-15_-mdr-1a-sony.html#Angebote

Here is a list of the headphone. Is there one which is the actual MDR1A Premium headphone?

EDIT:

Nevermind. B stands for Black, and S stands for Silver... Gosh. I'm stupid XD.

So this is the right one, right? -> http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00N3WWG4U/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=03RA89WM1G21J7B9XCW5&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=585296347&pf_rd_i=desktop

Seems like $299 in the states is really damn much o.o. Surprisingly they are cheaper here.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #878 of 2,667
Yes, I don't know which kind of pricing experiment Sony was doing (double the price in the US, while the US usually gets the better deals) but I bought my MDR-1A from Amazon Spain and had it shipped to Dubai, so I saved VAT (MwSt) for them as well. Great deal for these headphones.

Cheers,
K

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #879 of 2,667
I bought these headphones two days ago, I listen to them with AUDIOQUEST Dragonfly 1.2, the sound is wonderful, smooth and beautiful, with this dac the bass is tight and well controlled, my best purchase so far.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #880 of 2,667
  I bought these headphones two days ago, I listen to them with AUDIOQUEST Dragonfly 1.2, the sound is wonderful, smooth and beautiful, with this dac the bass is tight and well controlled, my best purchase so far.

Agreed, these headphones are my favs so far, bundled with HA-2. Fits my head fine, comfortable, clamps less than the m50x. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #881 of 2,667
I received these headphones today... And I'm amazed. I'm damn amazed actually. AMAZING!

I love them. The bass is where it neeeds to be. It is so damn good actually. Previously I had the V-moda M-100 headphones. But the V-moda's always had an issue with clarity IMO. I don't know... The bass was superb but it left me unsatisfied. But the Sony MDR-1A are freaking good! So much clarity but still a good amount of bass. I love it.

The comfort is superb. Thats a HUUUGE plus, without even the sound itself. I'm wow'ed folks. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #882 of 2,667
I'm so pleased to read that truthless, as I almost got the M-100 instead of the MDR-1A. Comfort worries made me waver, but now you say the sound is clearer on the MDR-1A as well. Puts my lingering doubts to rest. Much easier to forgive slow bass than lack of clarity.

I've been thinking, it's a mixed blessing that Tyll from InnerFidelity never reviewed the MDR-1A, because I don't think I want the mysterious MDR-1A uncovered in his FR graphs, it may spoil it.

The M-100 being a WoF headphone was without doubt, the most influential positive review I could find. But balanced with a few negative reviews from here, ending up catching analysis paralysis and the unpopular Sony with little reviews looked favourable. Then when I read the bass was anti-audiophile in it's representation, I knew it probably would be for me!
biggrin.gif

If Sony ever wants to do a MDR-1A Mk.2, I would buy it.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #883 of 2,667
I'm heavily considering getting these as over-ears for portable use, guys.  I'm guessing you all think that'd be a good choice?

I've got one question though.  How would you rate the isolation on these?

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #884 of 2,667
Portability and isolation is below average for the MDR-1A. I would advise against getting it, if wearing them outside will be your primary purpose.

They are as portable as the ear cups can rotate flat - that's about it. While low clamping around the headband means they are exceptionally comfortable, they are not the sort of headphones that will stay in place during exercise.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #885 of 2,667
  Portability and isolation is below average for the MDR-1A. I would advise against getting it, if wearing them outside will be your primary purpose.

They are as portable as the ear cups can rotate flat - that's about it. While low clamping around the headband means they are exceptionally comfortable, they are not the sort of headphones that will stay in place during exercise.

So what would you suggest, then?  I definitely don't plan to wear them while EXERCISING though. . .just while walking around town, sitting in Doctors' waiting-rooms, stuff like that.

ANd about the isolation. . .it's still better than anything from a pair of on-ears, right???  How well would you say they isolate in the middle of the mid-range and above, like the range of most human vocals?  That's what I care about. . .I don't mind if I can still hear lower rumbling noises and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back