Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #136 of 211
Got mine a few days ago. This headphone sounds too awesome. They're not that big and they're too comfy. I'm happy I bought them and don't wanna take them off.

My only concern is that the impedance is too high, so you have to max out the volume of the source. I'm really excited that I bought them.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #137 of 211
Got mine a few days ago. This headphone sounds too awesome. They're not that big and they're too comfy. I'm happy I bought them and don't wanna take them off.

My only concern is that the impedance is too high, so you have to max out the volume of the source. I'm really excited that I bought them.

Yeah, I don't think the impedance is actually that high (only 40 ohms), but they sound quieter than most headphones. I think it's due to the headphone's relatively low sensitivity of 100 dB/mW that makes it so quiet.

Actually, that's not even that low...

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #138 of 211
I posted up my review of the MDR-10R after using them on and off for the past few weeks.

Since this is an appreciation thread I'll just link to the review since it's pretty negative, but long story short I think even if you had around $99 to spend you would get a more natural (but still bassy) sound out of the Audio Technica ATH-ES700 or Pioneer HDJ-1500.

It's a shame though because the 10R's design is very comfortable. I know from the ZX700 that Sony can design a balanced, cheaper circumaural, so I wish they had taken that sound and just bassed it up a little. :frowning2:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-over-ear-headphones-mdr-10r/reviews/10623

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #139 of 211
Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement cable for these? The recessed headphone jack is pretty annoying. Would something like the original iPhone recessed jack adapter fit in there? I ordered the smallest cables i could find on Amazon and the ends were stilll too large for the recessed jack.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #140 of 211
  Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement cable for these? The recessed headphone jack is pretty annoying. Would something like the original iPhone recessed jack adapter fit in there? I ordered the smallest cables i could find on Amazon and the ends were stilll too large for the recessed jack.

You could try getting a Lifeproof headphone adapter as an extension for the headphone jack, like so:

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #142 of 211
Mar 10, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #143 of 211
Thinking about getting a set of these in the near future. How do they compare to the Sony MDR V6s? 

Having a hard time deciding between these, the MDR 7510s and the 1Rs.  
Mostly between the 7510s and 10Rs. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #144 of 211
You could try getting a Lifeproof headphone adapter as an extension for the headphone jack, like so:

Which lifeproof cable is that? The one for iphone5?

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #145 of 211
I just picked up a pair of white ones for only $40 from a Sony store. I prefer the look of the black model since the white sticks out, but they only had the white one in stock. They were on sale because the Sony is apparently closing all of it's retail stores. The only thing that worries me is finding replacement wires. Can you not order replacement wires from Sony directly?

They sound great for only $40. I love the shorter wire compared to the super long wire of the Sennheiser HD 202. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #147 of 211
Received my Mdr10rdc today in the mail from USA. I had a very quick listen and I don't think it's that bad.

The sound is warmer, more coloured, smaller soundstage and heavier bass compared to the mdr1r. However, for a noice cancellation headphones and at that such of low price, I don't think it's that bad at all.

I would recommend it if you can get a pair for less than 150 (noice cancellation version) and maybe under 100 (normal version )

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #148 of 211
I just picked up a pair of white ones for only $40 from a Sony store. I prefer the look of the black model since the white sticks out, but they only had the white one in stock. They were on sale because the Sony is apparently closing all of it's retail stores. The only thing that worries me is finding replacement wires. Can you not order replacement wires from Sony directly?

They sound great for only $40. I love the shorter wire compared to the super long wire of the Sennheiser HD 202. 

Wow.. That's such a great price!

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #149 of 211
It's not bad per-se, but there are several things I can nitpick against MDR-10R:

1. Overall performance.  Very recessed Midrange, vocals and some of the upper-mids sounds very recessed in light of really boosted bass.  In and of itself isn't a killer, but even at current price range of $100, you can find headphones of similar price that blows away the MDR-10R/RNC with more balanced approach. Yes, they are the usual suspects, but they are that for very good reason.  NC function also falls behind similarly priced cans from Audio Technia (ATH-ANC7bs can be had as low as $130-$150)
2. It is very source specific in terms of things.  It works quite well with portable Apple devices and certain frequencies that can be altered. For instance, it works quite nicely with Treble boost on Apple devices.  Conversely, it doesn't work well with Samsung devices with similar EQ types. There doesn't seem to be any sort of consistency in the performance of the phones. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm using them and enjoying them, but Sony's done helluva better for that price (MDR-ZX700s immediately comes to mind).  

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #150 of 211

Even the slimmest jacks will not fit the MDR-10R's proprietary diameter hole. I bought a replacement cable made for Beats headphones; they have pretty much the slimmest jack on the market while also having an inline remote, and they still don't fit. The MDR-10R's headphone jack diameter is 5.5 mm, while the Beat's cable is 6 mm in diameter.

So I had to cut the ring encasing the jack using a saw because it's made of metal, to my surprise. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works quite well. After slimming it down, it's now 4.8 mm in diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back