Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R › Reviews › a_recording's Review

Great design, boomy bass, muffled mids.

A Review On: Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R

Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R

a_recording

Pros: Comfortable, lightweight, detachable cables

Cons: Boomy bass, muffled vocals, nasal treble, unbalanced sound

Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep.

Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the headphone. Please check out my channel if you enjoyed the video!

Summary:

The 10R has a comfortable, lightweight design that is pretty much best in class for the ~$99 street prices I've seen for this headphone. However, the sound is extremely unbalanced, skewed towards a very boomy low end with vocals that sound muffled, while simultaneously having a peaky treble region that while it isn't super sibilant, ends up sounding somewhat nasal. Overall I really did not like the sound of these and they made me feel like I had a head cold every time I listened to them.

Your mileage may vary but personally if for around the same price I would be much happier to recommend the Audio Technica ATH-ES700 or Pioneer HDJ-1500 for portable headphones with bass punch and more natural, cleaner signatures.

Boomy low end?  I own a pair and I find them rather bass lite...
Exactly... and it drowns out every detail when the bass comes in....MDR-1R seems to be better.