Sony MDR-1000X
Sep 9, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2,686 of 2,709
Sony is simply doing the same thing they do with their camera line IMO, look at RX100 and with each model they improve/ add changes to it, all to add new buzz around it, and make it better (subjective).. And really ANC wireless is a good model to do continual iterative improvement on. They simply get better with more features unlike conventional headphones of old.

It's really a good thing, because with the new model they rarely increase the price, instead the price of the older model that got discontinued goes down, so buyers would actually have more choice, buy the now cheaper but still great model that's older, or buy the newest with he bells and whistles.

Isn't it actually easier for the owner of the older model to see the new features and think whether theyd be worth the upgrade if it fix a gripe you had for the older model?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #2,687 of 2,709
Interesting and fitting comparison to the RX100 camera range, although the technology there goes ahead by leaps and jumps - not so much on the headphone area. And yes, I totally agree, it's great to have mk3 at 70% discount to mrrp when mk5 and mk6 are out.

Corporations do face the "good enough" issue - no reason to jump on the upgrade cycle, when yesteryear's models are (more than) good enough.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #2,688 of 2,709
Interesting and fitting comparison to the RX100 camera range, although the technology there goes ahead by leaps and jumps - not so much on the headphone area. And yes, I totally agree, it's great to have mk3 at 70% discount to mrrp when mk5 and mk6 are out.

Corporations do face the "good enough" issue - no reason to jump on the upgrade cycle, when yesteryear's models are (more than) good enough.
Yup, that's the thing about tech, companies want this new model system obviously for revenue purposes. It's a system that worked out very well in the smartphone industry.

As consumers we see new models come out and newer stuff coming out all the time. We know there will always be something newer coming out. So, it's about when you buy. Do I need the newest that urgently? Because that's how the cost works now a days. Most expensive when you want it when it comes out, and price degrades over time with competition (maybe there is the better valued on that the better option) and perhaps the introduction of a new model.

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #2,689 of 2,709
Yup, that's the thing about tech, companies want this new model system obviously for revenue purposes. It's a system that worked out very well in the smartphone industry.

As consumers we see new models come out and newer stuff coming out all the time. We know there will always be something newer coming out. So, it's about when you buy. Do I need the newest that urgently? Because that's how the cost works now a days. Most expensive when you want it when it comes out, and price degrades over time with competition (maybe there is the better valued on that the better option) and perhaps the introduction of a new model.
That's exactly why I got the MDR-1000x ,for €300 instead of €400 when it was released on the market. Now the MK2 is down to €300 and the MDR-1000x is only €229 (all pricing including 25% sales tax)

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #2,693 of 2,709
I bought my mdr1000x to use on airplanes but as I haven't been going on holiday much recently, they have been collecting dust. Now, I put on September MDR 1abt pads on (for comfort) and I have been using them at the gym, they have been doing a great job at cutting all that gym noise/music. Will report back if there are any issues in the long run.

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #2,694 of 2,709
i listened to the XM3 at best buy today - sounded great - I would have bought it but they only had the XM2 on the shelves below it. I have a beat up pair of the original 1000x which I wear to help me get to sleep I was looking forward to getting the XM3 to use at work, hope its in stock soon

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #2,696 of 2,709
I have tested both MX2, MX3 and Q35 for noise cancellation use in pinball tournaments. Without having actual measurement instruments the MX2 won because of price. It was simply not possible for my naked ear to distinguish the three models from each other on the noise cancellation piece. The sound quality was secondary and really did not matter in my choice of model and was not able to distinguish the sound quality either. However the MX version felt much better around the ear compared to Q35 models.

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #2,697 of 2,709
Just reporting in, I have used the mdr1000x in the gym for the past 6months (Or even longer). I took out the foam inserts and replaced the pads with a aliexpress pair which are a bit smaller (on the verge of on ear) but alot more padded. They are much more comfortable now and they have held up great. No issues at all. No headband cracking either.

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #2,698 of 2,709
Does it affect the ANC performance?

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,699 of 2,709
Blah, I dropped them from table-height and now the right driver distorts under certain situations. Before this I already had some issues with distortion whenever I used the built-in amp/DSP WIRED. I'm considering upgrading to the M3s but not too keen on the price. Would like something with ANC and BT yet sounds decent without them powered on, and USB type C is preferred.

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #2,700 of 2,709
-edit

mods: delete

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back