Sony MDR-1000X
Jun 12, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #2,627 of 2,709
Hmmmm.

Okay, snagging the DSR7BT for a real home trial later today.

Be warned, many people already reporting that 7BT is a lot harsher than 9BT due to the physical design limitations. The 9BT has Quad-Voice-Coil build, and while the 7BT only has Single Coil design.

For this nature of technology, the more Voice-Coil-Count, the better, and therefore, I do not doubt the above reports at all. My recommendation for you is to try 9BT off of Amazon, and decide for yourself. Why ? Because like I said, 9BT is already on the brighter side, and normal SBT could already be harsh, let alone...7BT. So, even if you are disappointed with 7BT, be warned that 9BT is a class/tier above from build/technology limitations, and other feedbacks which also provides consistent impressions as well, and so 7BT will not be a reference point to judge 9BT. Just keep that in mind

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2,628 of 2,709
1/ ATH 9BT has a very healthy Dosage of bass. Dare to say that it has much better quality and much better dynamic range than 1kX. It is reaching into Audiophile range, and not simply wireless for convenience anymore. I don’t believe I wanted to admit that wireless technology has progressed this far, and for years, it have not....but it has begun!

Not sure if you would like it with HipHop! I can only provide feedback about bass quality and quantity here as HipHop is not a genres I enjoy, but I do enjoy modern EDM and Pop. Maybe it is a bit harsh for Hard Metal and Hard Rock, and is pretty friendly with other genres IMO

2/ my 9BT can ideas without charging for 6 weeks and can still have battery left to play around with. It charges up in 4hours or so, and it can continuously playing up to 15 hours or more...never tried this long, but it seems Zombies like

3/ Control is a bit awkward as you will have to learn new way to connect and utilize it, especially the touch button right next to other buttons

4/ connection and setup is very easy, friendly, and flawless

5/ the very bad thing is it microphone quality...you won’t be able to voice record, or the same as talking on the phone over Bluetooth with it. I guess ATH didn’t care enough to locate the mic at the right spot, but I never used it for those, so I careless.

Again, all I care about is wireless for convenience with Acceptable sound quality, the 1kX couldn’t do it, but the 9BT surpassed my expectations, and so it is laying around. Many people keep asking me about the bass quality. I will make it clear here

1/ 9Bt has a healthy dosage of bass, it is better than all of the other wireles I have come across, and is qualified to be Audiophile.

2/ some people told me that it has too much bass ? Well, take into account, it is wireless, and the first Audiophile qualification of its kind ! Ofcourse the bass is not as Fine, as good as your 20k Stax system or $10K HD800 system. But it is ways better and a lot more quantity, quality than whatever the heck wireless is on the market at the moment. Again, it is qualified to be called Audiophile and is the first of it kind

Same here, I couldn’t stand 1KX even 10 minutes in, but the 9BT is totally a different kind of beast

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Headphones-Bluetooth-Microphone-Cellphones/dp/B01EUER0NQ

I use $20 BT headphones like above but in gray. I’m not good with headphones outside and always seem to break stuff. So I never spend that much for outside gear. It rains a lot here too. So it’s actually hard to justify spending money for BT? It’s probibly great for folks though? I would probably never leave the house with the ATs. Lol

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,629 of 2,709
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Headphones-Bluetooth-Microphone-Cellphones/dp/B01EUER0NQ

I use $20 BT headphones like above but in gray. I’m not good with headphones outside and always seem to break stuff. So I never spend that much for outside gear. It rains a lot here too. So it’s actually hard to justify spending money for BT? It’s probibly great for folks though? I would probably never leave the house with the ATs. Lol

Might wanna look into "sport" headphones then. I have the sony true wireless and these things have been sweated on and absolutely drenched in the rain without a hiccup.

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,630 of 2,709
Might wanna look into "sport" headphones then. I have the sony true wireless and these things have been sweated on and absolutely drenched in the rain without a hiccup.

Yes, that’s maybe a good idea. I have seen those.

Jun 12, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #2,631 of 2,709
After about an hour with the DSR7BT being used through BT with aptX on my phone... no. No no no. They might be good if you're listening to softer music, but that brightness is murder for hip hop, rock, metal and the like.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #2,632 of 2,709
After about an hour with the DSR7BT being used through BT with aptX on my phone... no. No no no. They might be good if you're listening to softer music, but that brightness is murder for hip hop, rock, metal and the like.

Just what I warned you before hand, the 7BT is not 9BT :), and it was known to be sibilant
Be warned, many people already reporting that 7BT is a lot harsher than 9BT due to the physical design limitations. The 9BT has Quad-Voice-Coil build, and while the 7BT only has Single Coil design.

For this nature of technology, the more Voice-Coil-Count, the better, and therefore, I do not doubt the above reports at all. My recommendation for you is to try 9BT off of Amazon, and decide for yourself. Why ? Because like I said, 9BT is already on the brighter side, and normal SBT could already be harsh, let alone...7BT. So, even if you are disappointed with 7BT, be warned that 9BT is a class/tier above from build/technology limitations, and other feedbacks which also provides consistent impressions as well, and so 7BT will not be a reference point to judge 9BT. Just keep that in mind

However, it seems that you are not into high and detailed result though. There are a lot of differences between 1kX vs 9BT. You may not like the 9BT also, the way I see your preferences is going

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #2,633 of 2,709
Oh I know, but TBH if the 9 is the only one better than the 1kX, I'm solid. I don't feel like leaping from $300 to $550, y'know? And I definitely like my laid-back and warmer headphones.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #2,634 of 2,709
The one that IS throwing a spanner in the works is the B&W PX, though. Might need to take them for a drive as well. Feh.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #2,636 of 2,709
So... after trying the Beoplay H9i and B&W PX, I think I might end up back with the Sony. The PX's niggles made them impossible, despite adoring the sound, but now I gotta give the Sony vs H9i a strong head to head.

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,637 of 2,709
As expected, I ended up with the Sony. Though lacking in a few ways compared to others, the H9i sounds better as does the PX, the Sony's superior fit and comfort combined with the better feature set and absolutely godlike ANC left me not terribly concerned about what wasn't exactly a major sound improvement for $100-200 more that the others gave. I throw 'em on and I'm just enjoying music. That's all I can ask for.

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,638 of 2,709
How are these for the gym?

I own jaybird x3s but I'm not too happy with them... They fall out and sound like ass. I can get the second gen Sonys for $260 with a Google express coupon so I'm thinking about that.
I wear wired phones for cardio and don't sweat much when lifting so that's not an issue... Just want decent noise canceling and a snug enough fit that they won't fall off when I'm doing bent over rows.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,639 of 2,709

I own jaybird x3s but I'm not too happy with them... They fall out and sound like ass. I can get the second gen Sonys for $260 with a Google express coupon so I'm thinking about that.
I wear wired phones for cardio and don't sweat much when lifting so that's not an issue... Just want decent noise canceling and a snug enough fit that they won't fall off when I'm doing bent over rows.

While the noise cancelling in the gym is great. These tend to fall of when benching and bent over rows. Even if not completely falling off, they do slip enough to be annoying.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #2,640 of 2,709

I wouldn't recommend them for Gym. Of all the portable headphones out today, and I've tried if not all, most of them, the Beats Studio 3, Beats Solo 3, and if you're anti Beats, the V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless are the best I've found for Gym use. Stability, at least when it comes to my head, is great on all of them. And they all have the energetic sound I prefer when working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back