Sony MDR-1000X
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,596 of 2,709
Anyone notice the highs slightly disappearing and coming backing while in NC mode? Sounds like its switching between SBC and AAC codecs. The connection priority is set to sound quality. A few times a song, the treble will be reduced ever so slightly, then it will reappear. Easier to tell when you are hearing songs with cymbals. I thought I was going crazy but it continued after I reset them, redid the NC optimizer. Source is iPhone 7 and iPad Air. Anyone with similar experience?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #2,597 of 2,709
I've noticed the bass response oscillate when I'm on a bus. "Wind" noise is amplified even if you're not sitting near an actual window. The physical isolation is not good either, as I can still hear people talking a fair bit. They're good for commuting on a metro train where noise is "smoother'.

The ambient sound and quick listen mode is nice, but I find it annoying I can hear people talking but I can hardly hear myself, so it feels somewhat disconnected there, do the M2s improve on this?

How do these sound with Xperia XZ Premium and other more recent LDAC phones? Their Bluetooth connection is awful on the Xperia Z5 which Sony has all but forgotten.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2,599 of 2,709
I picked up a used pair of the first gen 1000x for $30 usd today the headband broken but I taped it up was looking for something cheap with noise cancelling. I normally listen to my isine 10 and my hex v2 and wasn't expecting much from these but they sound pretty good using it with my lg v30 and the stock lg music player. Noise cancelling works great just left a very noisy Starbucks and I couldn't hear a think in there besides my music. I had the Bose qc25 in the past and these Sony's sound much better to me

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,600 of 2,709
Hi all,

received my Sony MDR-1000X m2 yesterday and I like the sound quality and noise canceling. What I am hugely disappointed with is the inapbility to pair my Macbook and my Android phone at the same time (to listen to music on the Mac but receive phone call via the Android phone).

I am wondering if there is a reliable work around in place. The ones on the web that I tried are just not working.

If this can no be fixed, I think I will return the head phones.

Head phones that I am considering to replace the Sonys with:

* Sennheiser HD 1 wireless over ear
* Senneiser HD 1 wireless on ear
* Bose QC35

Looking for great sound quality and good noise canceling.

Thanks for your replies!

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2,602 of 2,709
THanks for your reply!

Not really a satisfying solution for me, to be honest. If this can not be done, the head phones are going back!

I have no experience with the simultaneous pairing situation but you could use USB Audio Player Pro on the Phone and install Serviio on the Mac an you can access all of your files wirelessly as long as they are on the same network.

http://serviio.org/download

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2,603 of 2,709
No problem. Interestingly enough though your android phone might be able to provide an LDAC Signal or at least APTx where the Mac wont so it has the potential for better sound FWIW. But everyone's workflow/listening situation is different so if it doesn't work for you... it doesn't work.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #2,605 of 2,709
Hi all,

received my Sony MDR-1000X m2 yesterday and I like the sound quality and noise canceling. What I am hugely disappointed with is the inapbility to pair my Macbook and my Android phone at the same time (to listen to music on the Mac but receive phone call via the Android phone).

I am wondering if there is a reliable work around in place. The ones on the web that I tried are just not working.

If this can no be fixed, I think I will return the head phones.

Head phones that I am considering to replace the Sonys with:

* Sennheiser HD 1 wireless over ear
* Senneiser HD 1 wireless on ear
* Bose QC35

Looking for great sound quality and good noise canceling.

Thanks for your replies!

Hope I'm not too late, but I recently picked up a pair of the Mark II's and I can confirm you can have multiple BT sources at the same time - just not 2 of the same type.

Essentially - you follow the same steps as outlined here - except you use the Mac as your second "Android" phone:
http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm2/v1/en/contents/TP0001513164.html

For me, I paired and connected to my Samsung S8+ (Oreo) - from there - long pressed the bluetooth quick setting icon to get to the Bluetooth device list - click on the single gear icon on the right - and disabled Media playback

[
MJXRR4ol.jpg

5bbIMrIl.jpg

Then I disabled Bluetooth entirely - probably optional - just to simplify things. After the next steps are done - it's all done automatically - unless you make changes and re-enable Media audio on the phone again.

Next - power off the headphones (if the Mac hasn't been paired to the headphones yet) [long press the power button to enable pairing mode] - add the headphones to Windows 10 PC / Mac. At this point it should pick up both Media playback device and a headset. Go into Sound settings - and disconnect the headset feature - this will still allow the PC to playback audio to the Headphones.

Default settings have both headset and media playback enabled
rd3GBjFl.png

Option is greyed out - since I already disabled it
wAnTWtjl.png

Final Objective:
mE27nOUl.png

3M7VkvPm.png
mE27nOUl.png

On the Android phone, you can now enable bluetooth again - and you will hear "Bluetooth connected." Online manual states you can have up to 8 devices paired, but probably only 2 devices at a time.

I don't know if the Mac will also allow you to disable the headset feature - I don't have one to test for you.

I can confirm that if 2 devices are connected, you cannot enable the media playback on the other devices without disabling the same function on the 2nd device - i.e. if the PC is connected as Music playback, Android will be unable to enable Media audio until you disconnect it from the PC or turn off bluetooth entirely on the PC.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #2,608 of 2,709
from what I have read online some say the sound quality is the same from the original 1000x to the newer one and others say the new one sounds much better. I would be using from my lg v30 with ldac with neutron player, my question is the sound better on the newer model ? I picked up the original for like $30 usd and will buy the newer one if it sounds better and use the older ones at the cottage and to sleep with. Would appreciate the comments from those that owned both

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #2,609 of 2,709
I owned both and didn't really feel there was any difference in sound. Sony used the same drivers but did change the material on the earcups, so it is possible that there is a very small difference in sound sig because of the different material used. I never owned both pair at the same time so could never do a side by side.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,610 of 2,709
From what I saw online, the Noise cancellation was improved upon. This would be my first pair of ANC headphones, so I do find them quite good - it does eliminate a lot of fan noise and I find it makes a huge difference for eliminating constant background noise such as fan motors, some wind noise. For conversations in an office environment, depending on the distance of the source, it doesn't eliminate it completely.

I based my purchase decision on the review by a YouTuber - channel name of JimsReviewRoom - not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the video, but he does a Binaural recording of the Noise Cancellation + sound quality in his head to head comparison between the MH1000xm2 and the Bose QC 35 II - which were the gold standard of ANC headphones from previous years? To my ears, the Sony's sound better than the QC 35 II. Listened using ATH-M50x + 5.1 Home Speaker setup. So if the QC 35's were better than the MDR 1000x, then the corallary would be that Sony did improve on the Audio with the 1000Xm2s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back