Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 11, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #2,581 of 2,709
Perhaps not the best thread for my question, but this thread seem quite popular...

I tried the QC35’s and sent them back for 2 reasons:

1. “Cabin pressure” from the ANC kinda hurt. :frowning2:
2. Bass just overpowered everything. :frowning2:

I’m honestly not even that sold on needing to have ANC, just looking for a pair of wireless headphones that got over my ear and do a decent enough passive noise cancellation.

So can someone comment on the pressure level of the Sony? I remember reading somewhere that the Bowers PX or the Beoplay or maybe this sony had a different kind of ANC that didn’t cause pressure in the ear.

Finally, I’m really looking for something that has a balanced sound signature, but have been striking out all over the place.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #2,582 of 2,709
Perhaps not the best thread for my question, but this thread seem quite popular...

I tried the QC35’s and sent them back for 2 reasons:

1. “Cabin pressure” from the ANC kinda hurt. :frowning2:
2. Bass just overpowered everything. :frowning2:

I’m honestly not even that sold on needing to have ANC, just looking for a pair of wireless headphones that got over my ear and do a decent enough passive noise cancellation.

So can someone comment on the pressure level of the Sony? I remember reading somewhere that the Bowers PX or the Beoplay or maybe this sony had a different kind of ANC that didn’t cause pressure in the ear.

Finally, I’m really looking for something that has a balanced sound signature, but have been striking out all over the place.

You will still feel pressure with ANC on using MDR-1000X

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,584 of 2,709
Jan 17, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,587 of 2,709
Probably an unpopular opinion or maybe the demo set I tried at Best Buy has some issues, but the MDR1000X wm2 has a sloppy and sort of all over the place inconsistent texture.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,588 of 2,709
Probably an unpopular opinion or maybe the demo set I tried at Best Buy has some issues, but the MDR1000X wm2 has a sloppy and sort of all over the place inconsistent texture.

Are you talking about sound or finish, or both? You may also want to specify what your source was and how it was connected. Assuming BT, you should also confirm what the connection was (SBC, AAC, Apt-X, or Apt-X HD).

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #2,590 of 2,709
Latest android phone to get Oreo and LDAC support: Xiaomi MI A1. Good replacement phone for the Nexus 5x. Only thing that's missing is the NFC and perhaps a worse camera in low light. No issues with BT like the early versions of 8.0 on the Nexus 5x. My MI A1 updated last night to 8.0

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #2,591 of 2,709
Are you talking about sound or finish, or both? You may also want to specify what your source was and how it was connected. Assuming BT, you should also confirm what the connection was (SBC, AAC, Apt-X, or Apt-X HD).
Got a chance to listen again and I did appreciate the soundstage, miss, and treble, as well as clarity and detail. But the bass seems...off...like fake almost. Also, there seems to be something missing that keeps them from being a smooth all together high, mid, low combo...if that makes sense. I’m no expert audiophile tho, ymmv.

Also, it’s possible the iPhone may be to blame. The Bose Soundlink ii’s sound great ala aac, but some audio technicas use sbc and sound very bad.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #2,592 of 2,709
I got the M2 version and must note I don't hear it as veiled as Tyll said in his review of the previous version. I don't know if they changed it from the previous version. Sounds well balanced to me. Maaaybe it lacks a little air above 10khz but thats about it. The soundstage is little intimate, but within that small stage the imaging is actually pretty good. So I don't think they are too cramped, considering these cans are full of gizmos and electronics I think they sound very good, the treble is certainly more refined and detailed than the QC35. Bass also has tighter texture.

The noise cancelling is out of this world, but has a slight humm to it.

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #2,593 of 2,709
Got a pair from the latest drop on Massdrop. LDAC from my Pixel 2 sounds excellent through USB Audio Pro player. I pulled out my 3 copies of Steely Dan's Aja, of which the Hoffman original always sounds the best even compared to the SACD copy. The differences are all there painted quite well inside these cans. They're a touch small for my big ears but as on ears they're growing on me and tucking them in is OK too. The ANC while out an about paints such a nice background that detail is much more apparent than even higher end wired options in similar situations. As mentioned above the sound-stage isn't huge but not bad at all for a sealed affair. It was sort of kismet timing as a refrigerator water line leak has caused ServPro to leave two industrial dehumidifiers and 5 industrial fans in my home. Popped these on connected to my XBox controller to watch YoutubeTV, Netflix, and Hulu and all of that disappears. I haven't tried connecting to the Arcam rHead yet but quite frankly I'm not sure why I would. I'll save that for my HD-6XX when the din has been removed. The little boost in sub-bass even at lower sound levels is a welcome difference from some of my other cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back