Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #2,551 of 2,709
I'm getting strange "wobbling" sound on the left earcup while I walk. It's easy to replicate by rapidly turning your head and then stopping abruptly (having inertia apply pressure on the headphones). It's almost as if "pressure" needs re-equalizing, I don't know. Haven't tried yet shifting the way I wear them or tightening them a bit. It's not "extremely" annoying but it's kind of easy to notice.

I seem to remember somebody upthread noticing something similar. This is on 1000XM2.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,552 of 2,709
This could be due to the ANC phasing. As it uses an inverted noise signal if you move it out of phase it might actually amplify the volume.

As for the distortion I noticed, it only seems to happen wired. When I use Bluetooth I don't hear it on that "Solari" track. I'm thinking the built-in amp is causing the distortion with powered on + wired and unfortunately there's no way to change the amp volume.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #2,553 of 2,709
I own MDR-1000X, and have issue with incoming call ringtone played via headset. Even if my phone (I am using OnePlus One) is on silent mode, and current playing music volume level is low, for incoming calls i hear quite loud ringtone in headset.

Is there any way by which I can reduce BT headset ringtone volume for incoming calls?

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,556 of 2,709
Using LDAC on a Nexus 6P. Don't know about 5X...

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,557 of 2,709
Noise cancellation and looks aside, can anyone give me a general run-down of the differences between the MDR-1000x and the MDR-1ABT?

The latter isn't really around anymore, but I've tried the MDR-1A regular and was insanely satisfied by their comfort and sound as well. I also don't really need NC either, so I was wondering if I should just get a used pair for 1ABT and save some money.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #2,558 of 2,709
Anyone with a Nexus 5X have success with LDAC? I am considering purchasing a pair of M2's soon.
Works, but until the 8.1 update ships I can't test if the small (imo) issues that exists are fixed. ( Have to restart BT on the phone after pairing it with the NC chip to get rid of skipping)
Supposed to be fixed with 8.1. Will test tomorrow.

Edit:
Now I have tested my Nexus 5x with my MDR-1000x.
The results are promising. With the headphone off, I just touch the NFC on the phone with it and it starts up and connects instantly (Within two seconds). No random dropouts or problems with connections. I would believe that the M2 would have the same improvements, since it's the phone that is having the problems. I have had no problems using the NFC on my laptop to start and connect the headset, just some small problems with my Oreo 8.0 based Nexus 5x.
Other neat function still to be tested is the BT battery feature. Since the 1000x only reports "High, Medium, Low", it would be nice if there was a %. I'll get back after more testing.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,560 of 2,709
I would believe that the M2 would have the same improvements, since it's the phone that is having the problems. I have had no problems using the NFC on my laptop to start and connect the headset, just some small problems with my Oreo 8.0 based Nexus 5x.
Other neat function still to be tested is the BT battery feature. Since the 1000x only reports "High, Medium, Low", it would be nice if there was a %. I'll get back after more testing.
Owners have reported that LDAC connections are much more stable with the M2. Not sure what you mean by "BT battery feature". The M2 headset itself also only reports high/medium/low. The Sony headphone app (which only works with M2) shows a battery icon with its level (not a % number). Don't know if the battery level in the graphic is coarse or fine.

Sony app.png

Dec 17, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,562 of 2,709
Hi, just bought the Sony’s and deciding whether keep them or not. As iPhone user, I was intrigued by the AAC codec support. However, whatever AAC song I play, the headphones always show that SBC is being used (hold power for almost 2 sec, then press NC button - 1 blue blink = SBC according to user’s guide) - any ideas what’s wrong here?

I have Momentum Wireless M2 without AAC support and wanted a decent upgrade. Sony’s sound is fine, ANC is better, but it lacks multi-pairing, which is annoying enough by itself, so if I find the AAC is not working as it should, I’m gonna return them for sure.

AAC worked fine for me with iPhone X. Do you have best sound quality checked?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,564 of 2,709
AAC worked fine for me with iPhone X. Do you have best sound quality checked?
There’s no way on how to find out whether the signal is actually being transcoded or not. The only thing you can find out is whether the headphones are operating in SBC-only mode or automatic mode. These Sony’s sound better to me than Sennheiser’s but that’s all I can say.

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2,565 of 2,709
There’s no way on how to find out whether the signal is actually being transcoded or not. The only thing you can find out is whether the headphones are operating in SBC-only mode or automatic mode. These Sony’s sound better to me than Sennheiser’s but that’s all I can say.

That's not correct.
The app will say SBC if SBC only but SBC-AAC if it's playing AAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back