Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 22, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,521 of 2,709
I've just ordered the XM2 and discovered that my Nexus 6P will be able to access both aptX HD and LDAC. It will be nice comparing them. I'll report back if I find significant differences (even no significant differences might be interesting, I guess).

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #2,522 of 2,709
Here's a crazy use for the MDR-1000x. I can still wear them with my Noble Katanas in my ears for super duper noise isolation! I will be trying this in real use on a flight I have coming up in a week.

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #2,523 of 2,709
What is the sound leaking out like on these compared to Momentum wireless? I just got these and feel like it is a bit too much and I'm afraid I will disturb people on a plane/train as I like to listen quite loud (i.e. 75% volume on pixel 2)... When listening quietly the sound feels muffled.

I am considering to return and get momentum 2 but would really some advice if there is a point to do that before I do... Many thanks

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,524 of 2,709
What is the sound leaking out like on these compared to Momentum wireless? I just got these and feel like it is a bit too much and I'm afraid I will disturb people on a plane/train as I like to listen quite loud (i.e. 75% volume on pixel 2)... When listening quietly the sound feels muffled.

I am considering to return and get momentum 2 but would really some advice if there is a point to do that before I do... Many thanks
The momentum wireless 2 don't leak very much compared to the mdr-1000x. The leak starts to become apparent at around 60% volume in a moderately quiet room.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #2,525 of 2,709
The momentum wireless 2 don't leak very much compared to the mdr-1000x. The leak starts to become apparent at around 60% volume in a moderately quiet room.
Thank you, my next question would be, what % do mdr-1000x start to leak for you?
Some test results I found show about 7 db difference between them (31dB and 38dB respectively) which doesn't seem like awful lot.

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #2,528 of 2,709
Hi, just bought the Sony’s and deciding whether keep them or not. As iPhone user, I was intrigued by the AAC codec support. However, whatever AAC song I play, the headphones always show that SBC is being used (hold power for almost 2 sec, then press NC button - 1 blue blink = SBC according to user’s guide) - any ideas what’s wrong here?

I have Momentum Wireless M2 without AAC support and wanted a decent upgrade. Sony’s sound is fine, ANC is better, but it lacks multi-pairing, which is annoying enough by itself, so if I find the AAC is not working as it should, I’m gonna return them for sure.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #2,529 of 2,709
Hi, just bought the Sony’s and deciding whether keep them or not. As iPhone user, I was intrigued by the AAC codec support. However, whatever AAC song I play, the headphones always show that SBC is being used (hold power for almost 2 sec, then press NC button - 1 blue blink = SBC according to user’s guide) - any ideas what’s wrong here?

I have Momentum Wireless M2 without AAC support and wanted a decent upgrade. Sony’s sound is fine, ANC is better, but it lacks multi-pairing, which is annoying enough by itself, so if I find the AAC is not working as it should, I’m gonna return them for sure.

maybe you can try switching to sound quality mode first?
http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176179.html

if it still not working, try factory reset the headphone?
http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176175.html

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #2,531 of 2,709

2017-11-25 04:03 EST EDIT: Sorry, @czbird, disregard my post below. I just realized I was in an MDR-1000X thread, not a WH-1000XM2 discussion. I'm sorry about that. The app doesn't work with the MDR-1000X, so the advice posted by @PCheung above is your best bet. Again, sorry about that.

@czbird, if you haven't already downloaded the "Sony | Headphones Connect" app, make sure to do so. Once you're in the app, you can verify more clearly whether or not the WH-1000XM2 is in AAC mode (see below):

WH-1000XM2 - AAC .png
If it's not in AAC, then check the "Sound Quality Mode" setting, and make sure "Priority on Sound Quality" is selected (see below):

WH-1000XM2 - Sound Quality Mode  .png
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #2,532 of 2,709
@czbird, if you haven't already downloaded the "Sony | Headphones Connect" app, make sure to do so. Once you're in the app, you can verify more clearly whether or not the WH-1000XM2 is in AAC mode (see below):

If it's not in AAC, then check the "Sound Quality Mode" setting, and make sure "Priority on Sound Quality" is selected (see below):

I hope this helps.

That'll only help with the WH-1000XM2. The MDR-1000X isn't compatible with the App, and as the OP has only stated that they bought "the Sonys" it's impossible to know which model they have.

It's getting difficult to follow this thread, and therefore help, due to people not mentioning which model they're using.

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #2,534 of 2,709
It’s mk1 (I assumed it was clear as it’s thread subject). Sorry for not being thorough. I did the factory reset and managed to get the AAC working. Thanks for this hint.

It should have been obvious to me. Sorry about the confusion. As you found out, the advice above from @PCheung was what you needed (not my boneheaded post).

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #2,535 of 2,709
It should have been obvious to me. Sorry about the confusion. As you found out, the advice above from @PCheung was what you needed (not my boneheaded post).
No no, thanks for mentioning the app as well. I did know it had this possibility although it’s no use for me. Always good to know, maybe I switch to mk2 later - I thought the only difference was the assistant support which I do not need, so aimed for mk1 instead. Can mk2 multi-pair?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back