Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 25, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #2,536 of 2,709
No no, thanks for mentioning the app as well. I did know it had this possibility although it’s no use for me. Always good to know, maybe I switch to mk2 later - I thought the only difference was the assistant support which I do not need, so aimed for mk1 instead. Can mk2 multi-pair?

WH-1000XM2 still does not support multi-point, sadly.

It can be paired to multiple devices, but cannot be connected to two simultaneously, unless one is purely in headset profile only and the other is for media.

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #2,537 of 2,709
I just got these yesterday and have noticed a clicking sound on the left side when I bite my jaw hard and cheek muscles expand slightly. Does the creaking really lessen over time? I had the opposite experience with the ATH-M50x which now creaks at the slightest twitch of my head. My MSR7 had some creaking but these were not as noticeable when I was wearing them (and I put foam where the earcups hit this rubber padding on the hinge).

Sound is overally pretty good. The sub-bass extension is really nice. Sound is rather dark but the instrument separation is there. In Mirrors by Justin Timberlake I can hear the strings quite clearly in the bridge (right after "yesterday is history") even at higher volumes - with nearly all other equipment I tried that string part gets buried unless I turn the volume way down.

On Fiio E10K, should I be using the line-out instead of the amp? With power on (NC on and off), I noticed some distortion in a few tracks especially during piano parts. Test out the albums "1996" and "04" by Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Example:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #2,538 of 2,709
Well that was short lived. Bought a pair on Thursday on a BF deal. Received them last night(sat), and excitedly opened the box. I immediatly pick up the case, and am shoked at how light and thin the case was. Are the phones in here? Damn this is light. Just the cases for the majority of my other phones are heavier by themselves then these phones and the case combined.
Anyway, opened the case and was greeted with some really nice sexy looking phones.
Put em on my head and ear clearance was perfect. Clamp pressure was much better then most. These were pretty comfortable phones. Whipped out my phone(axon 7), and within 2 seconds was paired.
Im a basshead mostly who listens to hiphop and reggae, but also alot of punk as well. Was pleasantly greeted with a good bit of bass extension. Nothing bassheadish, but good enough that listening to heavy sub bassed hip hop was enjoyable to me. Treble is rolled off sounding to me. Typical consumer sound which is fine by me.
Try the NC, and was actually blown away. These things do a great job. I drive a loud deisel truck all day, and these will really help with that.
Now the crazy part. About an hour into my first foray into these headphones, I take em off, and begin to figure out how to pit them back in the case, when i notice what looks like a hair, on the headband. I blow it off but its still there. No kidding these things are already cracked at the joint.
My guess is that they were cracked already in the box, but i didnt notice.
Anyway, got the rms label and will ship back tomorrow morning and get my money refunded.
Shame really. I liked everything about these, but dont know how to keep these things from cracking.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,539 of 2,709
Hi I am a MDR 1000x user. Have just worked my way through this thread, luckily for me no issues with regard to clicking or headband so far, though I've only owned for a short while.

I've got a query re using a Dragonfly Black DAC which I hope someone can help with. From what I've read, the headphones come to life when powered on and my own listening experience would agree with that, on wired without power the sound seems very flat. My source is primarily an iPhone 6 Plus. I haven't tried the phones powered on with the DAC, just powered off, as I don't know if this is potentially harmful to the phones? Would it be pointless anyway as the phones process the sound when they are powered on, so the phones would be processing after the DAC? Is there any point in using the DAC with the phones?

Hope that makes sense, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,540 of 2,709
Well that was short lived. Bought a pair on Thursday on a BF deal. Received them last night(sat), and excitedly opened the box. I immediatly pick up the case, and am shoked at how light and thin the case was. Are the phones in here? Damn this is light. Just the cases for the majority of my other phones are heavier by themselves then these phones and the case combined.
Anyway, opened the case and was greeted with some really nice sexy looking phones.
Put em on my head and ear clearance was perfect. Clamp pressure was much better then most. These were pretty comfortable phones. Whipped out my phone(axon 7), and within 2 seconds was paired.
Im a basshead mostly who listens to hiphop and reggae, but also alot of punk as well. Was pleasantly greeted with a good bit of bass extension. Nothing bassheadish, but good enough that listening to heavy sub bassed hip hop was enjoyable to me. Treble is rolled off sounding to me. Typical consumer sound which is fine by me.
Try the NC, and was actually blown away. These things do a great job. I drive a loud deisel truck all day, and these will really help with that.
Now the crazy part. About an hour into my first foray into these headphones, I take em off, and begin to figure out how to pit them back in the case, when i notice what looks like a hair, on the headband. I blow it off but its still there. No kidding these things are already cracked at the joint.
My guess is that they were cracked already in the box, but i didnt notice.
Anyway, got the rms label and will ship back tomorrow morning and get my money refunded.
Shame really. I liked everything about these, but dont know how to keep these things from cracking.

Any chance you can report back here with the serial number on your cracked pair? There is a known serial number range for which this was apparently acknowledged by Sony, so I'm wondering if yours falls in that range or if others outside this serial number range also have this problem.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,541 of 2,709
Hi I am a MDR 1000x user. Have just worked my way through this thread, luckily for me no issues with regard to clicking or headband so far, though I've only owned for a short while.

I've got a query re using a Dragonfly Black DAC which I hope someone can help with. From what I've read, the headphones come to life when powered on and my own listening experience would agree with that, on wired without power the sound seems very flat. My source is primarily an iPhone 6 Plus. I haven't tried the phones powered on with the DAC, just powered off, as I don't know if this is potentially harmful to the phones? Would it be pointless anyway as the phones process the sound when they are powered on, so the phones would be processing after the DAC? Is there any point in using the DAC with the phones?

Hope that makes sense, any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's not harmful to the headphones to use them powered on while using them wired, and in fact, that's the only way to get active noise cancelling while wired, is to power them on.

The noise cancelling on the MDR-1000X is digital, so that does mean if you power them on and use NC, it certainly will be processing the signal after your Dragonfly (or the iPhone 6S Plus DAC if you use them straight from the headphone jack on the phone), since that's necessary for the NC. I don't know if the DSP is active if NC is off and it's wired, but I suspect it is given what I have heard from others who report on the difference in sound when using wired, powered vs passive.

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #2,542 of 2,709
Unfortunately they are already boxed back up, and ready to ship out tomorrow. I'm sure they fall into that serial number. I liked everything about them except the cracking. Also thought maybe they wouldn't crack if kept unfolded and in a different case?

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,543 of 2,709
It's not harmful to the headphones to use them powered on while using them wired, and in fact, that's the only way to get active noise cancelling while wired, is to power them on.

The noise cancelling on the MDR-1000X is digital, so that does mean if you power them on and use NC, it certainly will be processing the signal after your Dragonfly (or the iPhone 6S Plus DAC if you use them straight from the headphone jack on the phone), since that's necessary for the NC. I don't know if the DSP is active if NC is off and it's wired, but I suspect it is given what I have heard from others who report on the difference in sound when using wired, powered vs passive.
Thanks for the reply. Ive tried them on using wired from the iPhone jack with the headphones powered on and the sound was better than with wired with the phones powered off. So if Im using the Dragonfly, Im bypassing the iPhone DAC, but there will be some processing by the Sony's in powered mode. I'll test this against using bluetooth from iPhone to see if there is any significant difference in sound quality for my somewhat less than golden ears, though it is the convenience of not messing about with wires/DAC's etc which is the main draw from me of the Sony's and it is great to be able tune out the rest of the world when you need to.

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,544 of 2,709
Also, I get audio skipping with the Sony Xperia Z5 which has LDAC. There are a lot of complaints for it and unfortunately the Z5 is not receiving Android Oreo which should fix the issue (plus it allows selection of AptX and SBC). AptX headphones work fine on my Z5 but I'm getting delay with all headphones for non-system apps such as games (YouTube is fine).

I've seen complaints for bass distortion but I think I'm getting more for things like pianos. This is only when the headphone is powered on and it happens on both Fiio E10K and Xperia Z5.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,545 of 2,709
Well, my 1000x were replaced under warranty around 22.08 and were working flawlessly without cracks on the hinge, but a few days ago, a crack appeared on the left side.
I have left Korea where it was bought originally, so probably I will not be able to replace it under warranty again.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #2,546 of 2,709
Loving my M2's wired, so much so that I might put my MDR-Z1R's for sale. I'd rather have one single Headphone that does it all, commute and home. The wh-1000xM2 tick every single box. For everyone out here trying to decide to upgrade or not from the original 1000x, yes! Do it......

Also, I prefer APTX-HD over LDAC, and Wired over Wireless.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,547 of 2,709
Can someone check if there is distortion with this track?

There should be a buzzing distortion through the track but I'm also hearing crackling sounds with the 1000X powered on and wired (NC on or off). It's more apparent at 2:10.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #2,548 of 2,709
Loving my M2's wired, so much so that I might put my MDR-Z1R's for sale. I'd rather have one single Headphone that does it all, commute and home. The wh-1000xM2 tick every single box. For everyone out here trying to decide to upgrade or not from the original 1000x, yes! Do it......

Also, I prefer APTX-HD over LDAC, and Wired over Wireless.
So the M2 sounds better than the M1?

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #2,549 of 2,709

To my ears yes, but it could also be influenced by APTX-HD. Overall, I love the sound.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,550 of 2,709
The bass sounds a tad smoother but the general sound signature remains quite similar. Still, I'd consider the M2 is marked improvement overall, considering how Sony tweaked the sound, eased clamping force on the headband, possibly fixed the cracking headband, added app support, simplified the buttons on the headset, vastly improved LDAC implementation and who knows what else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back