Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 27, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,576 of 2,709
This might be a strange question. I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of these. Am I crazy to save $60 to $80 to buy them from eBay and give up the mfg warranty. With normal headphones I wouldn't worry so much, but with all the tech in these, is the warranty essential?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #1,578 of 2,709
Going to get an 1000X tomorrow and see what all the fuzz is about
smily_headphones1.gif

keep us informed...we're interested.
i have the studio closed sony 7520s
would love to hear a comparison.
these cans are getting great reviews for SQ,esp wired.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #1,580 of 2,709
  Noob question ahead: will my DAP affect the sound of this headphones over bluetooth?. planning to pair this with my Cayin i5

The only impact is the bluetooth codec employed by the DAP such as aptX or LDAC.   I've used my 1000x with a variety of DAPs and computers.  Those using aptX all sound the same to me.  

Just noticed that it appears the i5 doesn't support aptX so the reproduction of the music will be less than CD quality.  You may or may not notice this depending on your environment. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #1,581 of 2,709
MDR-1000X + NW-A35 is the best commute setup that one can get, light, comfortable, practical, best in class noise cancelling, great battery life and fantastic SQ:

Of course this is my opinion, but I have tried almost all possible commute setups, ciems, iems, NC, external dacs, amps, high end DAPs plus I am also highly experienced in serious hi-fi (25 years), head-fi (10 years) and traveller (~150,000 miles/year plus daily subway rides). You cannot beat this Today, really. Tomorrow might be a different thing, but thanks to these two, the future of commute equipment looks great!

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #1,582 of 2,709
The only impact is the bluetooth codec employed by the DAP such as aptX or LDAC.   I've used my 1000x with a variety of DAPs and computers.  Those using aptX all sound the same to me.  

Just noticed that it appears the i5 doesn't support aptX so the reproduction of the music will be less than CD quality.  You may or may not notice this depending on your environment. 

iOS devices will use AAC codec with supported BT devices like MDR1000X.I think it will be on par if not better than AptX.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #1,583 of 2,709
I have to say I just got an Astell and Kern Ak70 and the Sonys sound markedly better via bluetooth than with my Galaxy S7 edge. Both sources aptx so I wasn't expecting this.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #1,584 of 2,709
Nitpicking time:
That creaking sound - audible when I tilt my head or move my jaw.
Volume steps are too coarse {Z5c -> mdr1000x} -- double the amount of steps would be ideal.
Random audio cut outs while streaming audio via 2ghz wifi. Using 5Ghz wifi or 4g resolves the issue.
I imagine people in warm climates would experience discomfort. In my climate during wintertime my ears are kept nicely warm.

But these are a good value for what you get: Incredible isolation - I can drive without hearing a noise. They are very portable. Not having to deal with cables is a blessing.
Sony is clearly trying to push their audio devices supporting LDAC with this headphone. LDAC + the 'studio' crossfeed filter enabled (available on most recent Sony smartphones I believe) == quite a good sound. But could you get something better than this in terms of pure sound quality? Yes...even though they have a respectable tuning. But still these are very usable as the only headphone for all purposes - it has an integrated amp :wink: so you can plug your cassette player into one of these and enjoy the hiss in its purest form.

I speculate that there's no point in amping these at all as the sound signal goes to the internal amp anyways, right? Will have to test the TRS connection with them turned off or on depleted battery.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,585 of 2,709
Forgot to add:
A faint whoooooosh hiss can be heard while NC is on -- not an issue at all -- that sound is even strangely calming.

These + smartphone + spotify + hammock? === pure bliss in exploring music worlds
Got to buy me a hammock

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #1,587 of 2,709
@eimis heard that lubricant and/or careful sanding the swivel joint will fix the issue. I'm liking your ideal image of music listening, sadly no place to hang a hammock in my house.
@TokenGesture what got broken?

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,588 of 2,709
I've had these for 3 weeks and I use them all day at work. I'm on the phone for about 2 hours a day and these do not have the same quality side tone feature you get on the sennheisers, Bose QC35s, or the Plantronic Backbeat pros. I can hear myself, but it muffled as if it's just what makes it through the passive isolation of the earpads.

The Sonys also have, IMO, the worst call/mic quality of that bunch.

The headphones have a lot going for them, but call quality is not on the list.

the funny thing i DO NOT GET is WHY they don't use the 2 mics to isolate the noise coming from the enviroment arond the caller!(Well, one for speaking, one for isolating the noise!) Believe me, I've spent 349£ and when i speak with my girlfriend i've always to take the iPhone wired headphone...which is QUITE irritating !!! I'm start thinking to sell them to get the AIRPODS(and send an email to SONY to suggest my idea!THose mics are already there to cancel any noise)
! I'm a Cabin Crew commuting everyday to work in a REALLY noisy enviroment...and i DO NEED something with better call quality. Do you really think that buying that wire with mic could be the light at the end of my tunnel?

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,589 of 2,709
the funny thing i DO NOT GET is WHY they don't use the 2 mics to isolate the noise coming from the enviroment arond the caller!(Well, one for speaking, one for isolating the noise!) Believe me, I've spent 349£ and when i speak with my girlfriend i've always to take the iPhone wired headphone...which is QUITE irritating !!! I'm start thinking to sell them to get the AIRPODS(and send an email to SONY to suggest my idea!THose mics are already there to cancel any noise)

! I'm a Cabin Crew commuting everyday to work in a REALLY noisy enviroment...and i DO NEED something with better call quality. Do you really think that buying that wire with mic could be the light at the end of my tunnel?

It's possible you could better quality by attaching the cable, but on principle, for $400 you should be able to use them wirelessly and get good call quality.

I ended up returning mine and getting the QC35s. The call quality is much better, and that's important to me. I actually think the QC35s sound great as well. A little different than the Sony house sound, but not in a bad way. I'd say the overall sound quality is about 95% of what the Sony's offer. That's a worthwhile trade off for me as the QC 35s are much more comfortable, and the call quality is much better. I also prefer buttons to touch controls, but that wasn't a really big factor since Sony actually a pretty solid job in incorporating the touch controls.

If you want the best call quality with, IMO, much better sound quality and build quality than the Sony or Bose sets, you should look at the Sennheiser PXC 550s. You'll lose a bit of the ANC quality though, and the comfort level is subjective due to the shape of the ear pads. I found them to be comfortable, but I have smaller ears.

The higher ANC quality is the only reason I went with the Sony, and then ultimately the Bose, over the Sennheisers.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #1,590 of 2,709
I got these headphones at the weekend, after taking back the QC35 because it is not possible to turn the ANC off (and in a quit room listening to a podcast it is distracting).

I have to say - I love the MDR-1000x. They are absolutely great and are starting to feel very comfortable too. 

Unfortunately, the creaking issue has started with the right ear cup. Is there a general consensus on the best solution? I don't want to take these back, as they are otherwise great and let's face it, it is probably a design issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back