Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #1,456 of 2,709
[size=15.6px !important]
[size=15.6px !important]
  [size=15.6px !important] [/size]
[size=15.6px !important]This is probably the one thing that's holding me back. Apparently the MDR-1000x switches off after a certain amount of time. How did you keep the NC going for the whole 7 hours? Thanks.[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]I was told the nc should work with no bt connection if a cable was plugged in.[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]I have not tested this, did not know about this until after i got them,[/size]

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #1,458 of 2,709
  [size=15.6px !important]I was told the nc should work with no bt connection if a cable was plugged in.[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]I have not tested this, did not know about this until after i got them,[/size]

Do note that the headphones will stay on as long as there is a Bluetooth connection open, you don't actually need to plackback something. Of course this this will drain the battery of the connected device somewhat but Bluetooth 4.0 is really energy efficient so the draining effect shouldn't be that dramatic. Easy to test though - leave the headphones connected for the night and see how much battery was being consumed - do note that if the connected device is a smartphone then other ongoing phone processes will drain the battery too.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #1,460 of 2,709
[size=15.6px !important]
[size=15.6px !important]
[size=15.6px !important]Do note that the headphones will stay on as long as there is a Bluetooth connection open, you don't actually need to plackback something. Of course this this will drain the battery of the connected device somewhat but Bluetooth 4.0 is really energy efficient so the draining effect shouldn't be that dramatic. Easy to test though - leave the headphones connected for the night and see how much battery was being consumed - do note that if the connected device is a smartphone then other ongoing phone processes will drain the battery too.[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]yes, thats always an option. But if no bluetooth it should work with a plugged in cable.[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]But i think ill always use them with bt playing.[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]I have to say the palm over the right cup thing is very clever. I have borrowed the bose 35 but i have no regrets so far. The sonys are so much better with the tech, only one thing the pads on the 35 are a little more comfortable. But the 35 lacked the clamping pressure i wanted.[/size]

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,462 of 2,709
  [size=15.6px !important]yes, thats always an option. But if no bluetooth it should work with a plugged in cable.[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]But i think ill always use them with bt playing.[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]I have to say the palm over the right cup thing is very clever. I have borrowed the bose 35 but i have no regrets so far. The sonys are so much better with the tech, only one thing the pads on the 35 are a little more comfortable. But the 35 lacked the clamping pressure i wanted.[/size]

Just ran a "short" test: kept the headphones connected for 8,5 hours straight (over the night, Note4 @ Ultra power saving mode, wifi off, BT on) and the phone battery level dropped only about 2% which is the normal expected battery level drop even without bluetooth on. So if the bluetooth connection is implemented properly there shouldn't be a noticeable batterly level drop just because of the open bluetooth connection.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #1,463 of 2,709
I agree the Sony has less bass QUANTITY, but from a hifi standpoint it is of a better quality. Some might even find the P7 bass to be overblown if they're coming from well respected cans like HD800, Grado, Beyerdynamic. Don't get me wrong, I like the P7, but I think it's overrated.If you want to hear one of the great headphones then try the Beyer t5p's. Unfair comparison, I know, considering price point and being wired, but I'm just giving a little perspective. Even compared to the Sony, the P7 is too V signatured and less suited to a wide variety of music genres.

Agree 100%. The P7 has a much more consumer friendly sound signature, If you come from the high-end side (too many years in this hobby), the P7 becomes unbearable after 2 hours of listening.

The MDR1000x are the cheapest cans I own, by far! But they have become the ones I reach out for more, and this is for a simple reason, convenience! I travel a lot, planes, trains, subways and taxis... Im writing this at 36,000 feet above sea level after 15 hours flying (one more to go...) and I am as pleasently surprised of the high-end quality of this cans as the day I bought them, they are stunning for being NC, a remarkable technological achievement, plus they are comfortable and so non-fatiguing that I haven't stopped listening since the flight began. Are these comparable in sound quality to my STAX or CIEMS? No, but in their own way equally satisfying, I cannot think of any other headphones that I have tried that come close to these ones for their purpose: To commute.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #1,464 of 2,709
I've tested all these with NC turned on, I'll talk only about the sound.

Bose QC35, has no aptX: excellent NC, you're in your own world. Sound is not crisp, muffled in the mid range playing house genre. Sounds best with bossa, jazz.

Beats the rest in: Noise Canceling, lightweight.

Beoplay H9, has AptX: thin sounding, too harsh, too bright. Clarity and details are not there at all, you've to listen hard to catch the subtle details and it's covered by its bright sounding signature.

Beats the rest in: Build material, replaceable battery, aesthetics.

Sony MDR 1000x has aptX: Ease of listening to subtle details. Clear almost crisp, not overly bright and harsh. Bass can be overpowering for bass heavy songs.

Beats the rest in: Sound Signature and Quality.

I picked the Sony MDR 1000x.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #1,465 of 2,709
Bought the 1000x to evaluate them since I really liked the look and feel of them and the sound in them.

I'm having an issue though, I switch between my Macbook Pro and my iPhone every now and then and this has proven to be very difficult, either these headphones aren't fully compatible with the iPhone 6 plus or I'm not doing something correctly.

Situation 1.
Had Headphones paired with iPhone, was working well.
* Set Headphoens in pairing mode
* Paired with PC, worked well
* Turned pc bluetooth off
* Tried connecting to headphones on iPhone unsucessfully
* Set headphones in pairing mode, don't show up in iphones list of bluetooth devices
* Forgot the device in the bluetooth settings in iphone, still dont show up in bluetooth devices

Situtation 2
* Same as with pc, paired with phone, then switched to mac
* disconnected from mac
* searched on phone, can't connect to the remembered device
* set 1000x in pairing mode, don't show up on iphone
* forgot the paired device in BT settings, searching.. no headphones
* tried hitting connect on the mac, instantly connected again

Seems the only way to disconnect from a computer and connect to the iphone that I've found is to disconnect from the computer, clear the headset in the iphone, then wait mutiple hours before trying to connect to the iphone.

Has anyone sucessfully repaired to a iphone within 2 hours of disconnecting from another bluetooth device? if so could you post your exact procedure?

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,467 of 2,709
I'm having pairing issues, but I assume it's by (bad) design.

I bought these primarily to use with an Apple TV 4 at night. During the day, I take them to work, sometimes pairing to my phone, sometimes to my computer.

When I get home, I disable Bluetooth on my iPhone, then turn the Sonys on, expecting they'd connect to the Apple TV automatically.
They do not.

Strangely, this is my 2nd pair, the first returned due to a defective ear cup. The first pair did in fact connect to my Apple TV automatically, even after connecting to another device at work.

I did discover that double tapping the right ear when at home with sometimes quickly connect to my Apple TV, but only if I didn't connect to another device since the last connection.

On a weekend, the headphones stay home all day and night and auto connect is easy with a double tap. But all week long, as they are connected to two other devices, upon arriving home I am forced to trudge through the Apple TV's settings to reconnect the Sonys.

This is highly annoying.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,468 of 2,709
Yeah I don't know yet if this is a design flaw or a fault with your unit, but I would say that is one of my biggest issue with these headphones is that they cannot connect to multiple devices at the same time in a day and age where people own iphones, ipads, computers, and more bluetooth devices (or the android/window/other OEM equivalent). Seriously, what were they thinking?

Fortunately, the all of the other features of the headphones, the quality construction, and excellent sound overshadow this issue for me personally. For some though, this may be a deal breaker.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #1,469 of 2,709
I'm having pairing issues, but I assume it's by (bad) design.

I bought these primarily to use with an Apple TV 4 at night. During the day, I take them to work, sometimes pairing to my phone, sometimes to my computer.

When I get home, I disable Bluetooth on my iPhone, then turn the Sonys on, expecting they'd connect to the Apple TV automatically.
They do not.

Strangely, this is my 2nd pair, the first returned due to a defective ear cup. The first pair did in fact connect to my Apple TV automatically, even after connecting to another device at work.

I did discover that double tapping the right ear when at home with sometimes quickly connect to my Apple TV, but only if I didn't connect to another device since the last connection.

On a weekend, the headphones stay home all day and night and auto connect is easy with a double tap. But all week long, as they are connected to two other devices, upon arriving home I am forced to trudge through the Apple TV's settings to reconnect the Sonys.

This is highly annoying.

It never connects to my iphone/ipad automatically, everytime I have to do this manually. Apple? Sometimes it makes me think that I should buy a sony android (spotify) walkman with NFC, sounds cool but again I dont like to carry two devices. I haven't paired them with anyother device though. Will try them with my friend's android phone and update you.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,470 of 2,709
I am lost about the pairing options: with two android devices,one only for music, the other only for calls, is it possible be connected to both? so while i'm listening to music and receive a call, i can answer using the headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back