Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 11, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,427 of 2,709
Y all should just return your mdr1000x and get the Bowers and Wilkins P7 wireless. Thank me later.
I own both. If I had to keep one it would be the Sony. I find them more neutral and transparent. But the P7 wireless is pretty good. The high end is done quite well, but the bass is still consumer friendly north of neutral, albeit with fairly nice definition. The Sony beats the P7 for bass and mid definition IMO.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,430 of 2,709
Come on, the Sony have no bass compared to the P7. They sound worse because of the anc.
I agree the Sony has less bass QUANTITY, but from a hifi standpoint it is of a better quality. Some might even find the P7 bass to be overblown if they're coming from well respected cans like HD800, Grado, Beyerdynamic. Don't get me wrong, I like the P7, but I think it's overrated.If you want to hear one of the great headphones then try the Beyer t5p's. Unfair comparison, I know, considering price point and being wired, but I'm just giving a little perspective. Even compared to the Sony, the P7 is too V signatured and less suited to a wide variety of music genres.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,431 of 2,709
Y all should just return your mdr1000x and get the Bowers and Wilkins P7 wireless. Thank me later.

I bought the MDR 1000X after extensive listening sessions with the (all wireless) 1000X, QC 35, Momentum 2.0s, B&W P7, Beoplay H6. Please note, this is my subjective review and I used my iPhone 6s with Apple music for my listening session.

I would rate like this:

Sound Quality : 1000X > P7 > Momentum > QC 35 > H6
ANC                : 1000X/QC 35 > Momentum
Features         : 1000X > Others
Comfort          : QC 35 > 1000X > Momentum > H6 > P7

While the P7 wireless sounded very very nice on the initial listen, I had to pick the 1000X.
The P7 had a boomy bass for my tastes but they had very good sparkle/well extended in the highs which was quite catchy but on an extensive listening I found the 1000X quite close to neutral than all the others. Also, the noise cancellation was really good, coupled with a lot of features and a non fancy, clean, low profile look just like the QC 35s.

The P7s were quite big for a portable and but they were comfortable.

The Sennheiser Momentums were good but they were clearly not on par with the 1000X or the P7. The ANC and SQ was not good for the asking price.

The QC 35 sounded same as the momentums but bose did not learn from their mistakes with the QC25, the volume was soooo low. I set my volume to max and it was still in less than my normal listening levels. The ANC was really good. 

The H6 was not even interesting but I gave a try anyway.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,433 of 2,709
The sound quality of the mdr1000x are nowhere near the P7's. That's just ridiculous. You need new ears.

Yeah good. Curious why you would hang around a headphone thread to trash it while continually promoting an unrelated one.
You obviously know what sort of sound signature you prefer, but not what a good audiophile headphone should sound like. Serious question, but how many headphones have you actually heard/owned? Not trying to sound snobby or confrontational, but you did start it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #1,434 of 2,709
I bought the MDR 1000X after extensive listening sessions with the (all wireless) 1000X, QC 35, Momentum 2.0s, B&W P7, Beoplay H6. Please note, this is my subjective review and I used my iPhone 6s with Apple music for my listening session.

I would rate like this:

Sound Quality : 1000X > P7 > Momentum > QC 35 > H6
ANC                : 1000X/QC 35 > Momentum
Features         : 1000X > Others
Comfort          : QC 35 > 1000X > Momentum > H6 > P7

While the P7 wireless sounded very very nice on the initial listen, I had to pick the 1000X.
The P7 had a boomy bass for my tastes but they had very good sparkle/well extended in the highs which was quite catchy but on an extensive listening I found the 1000X quite close to neutral than all the others. Also, the noise cancellation was really good, coupled with a lot of features and a non fancy, clean, low profile look just like the QC 35s.

The P7s were quite big for a portable and but they were comfortable.

The Sennheiser Momentums were good but they were clearly not on par with the 1000X or the P7. The ANC and SQ was not good for the asking price.

The QC 35 sounded same as the momentums but bose did not learn from their mistakes with the QC25, the volume was soooo low. I set my volume to max and it was still in less than my normal listening levels. The ANC was really good. 

The H6 was not even interesting but I gave a try anyway.
I agree

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #1,435 of 2,709
Nice review, thanks.
You have noted the bass on the 1000x as being too light. Coming from the 1a that isn't surprising, as it is generally considered to have overblown and bloated bass. The 1000x is generally relatively neutral compared to a lot of other headphones (eg Momentum wireless, PXC 550), it's just that a lot of consumers prefer a slightly bass boosted contemporary signature. I have owned all these headphones at one point or another.
A few people have also reported that the 1000x is rolled off at the treble. While it doesn't reach as high as some open cans like the hd800 or Grado's, to me , it extends further than many consumer friendly tuned cans like the ones I mentioned. The wireless Sennheisers sound relatively veiled (and bass boosted) to me. The B&W series are all tuned with this consumer signature as well, although the P7's treble is very well done for a closed can. Overall I prefer the 1000x to all the closed headphones I mentioned. It's actually one of my favourite closed cans period.

I couldn't agree with you more. Lot of really good points in there.

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,436 of 2,709
One thing I am very happy about is that I am using these primarily at home. I bought them for when I travel or work in a coffeeshop/busy environment, but using them at home has been nothing short of awesome. I am watching a movie with my kid with my surround setup running pretty loud. The kid is watching while I am working on the computer. With the ambient voice mode on, I can listen to tunes and focus, but still hear the kiddo (and the dialogue in star wars). Pretty damn cool. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,437 of 2,709
My impression after 2 weeks.

- NC optimiser helps reduce AC hiss / white noise / cabin pressure. Try using it in quiet environment. MDR-1000x ANC hiss/noise/pressure is about the same level as QC35 and by far better than any Sennheiser ANC headphones. And you can turn it off in quiet places unlike the Bose.

- Creaking is completely gone after a quick fix using dry lube.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818871/sony-mdr-1000x/1275#post_13127555

- ANC working very good at my relatively quiet home environment. You will find your home is noisier than you might think. Lower volume (with same details) is good for your ears.

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #1,438 of 2,709
- ANC working very good at my relatively quiet home environment. You will find your home is noisier than you might think. Lower volume (with same details) is good for your ears.

Yeah, it's pretty surprising right?! I underestimated how nice it is to have a pair of these for use at home.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #1,439 of 2,709
The sound quality of the mdr1000x are nowhere near the P7's. That's just ridiculous. You need new ears.

Nowhere near the P7's? Nope.

My ears are fine thanks. 
I did own quite a number of "audiophile" grade headphones and I compared them (from my memory) with the MDR 1000X before I purchased them.
Sound perception is subjective. I also mentioned that the P7 sounded good and just that it was too Bassy to me, some like you may prefer the P7s over 1000Xs and I totally understand.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #1,440 of 2,709
Yeah, it's pretty surprising right?! I underestimated how nice it is to have a pair of these for use at home.

This is the first pair of noise cancelling headphones I've owned, my previous headphones include (don't laugh) Vmoda Crossfades, beyerdynamic bt-990, sennheiser momentum 1.0s. I totally underestimated how bizzare an experience my journey to work would become. Of course its not total silence, but it almost feels like you're in a bubble walking down the street, or on the train.

But yes the ambient noise mode is very cool, i bought mine for similar reasons, so I could play games at night whilst still listening out for the baby monitor, or my wife trying to talk to me. It maybe could be a little better, i have mine connected to my iphone at about 4 notches of volume (so pretty quiet), and i can hear the general buzz in my office, but can't really make out what people are saying that well. I have to turn it right down to about 1 or 2 notches (very very quiet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back