Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 4, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #1,352 of 2,709
  So yesterday afternoon I received my 3th pair. Out of the box no creaks, but after listening 3 hours aprox. creaks came back... 
Thinking about what to do next... Return them and go with the new B&O H9 or, give them another chance and go with a 4th set....
These also had PD of november by the way.

**** thats awfull, I think as you have read in this thread its due to the plastics not being filed down properly in the hinges. Seems a manufacturing fault. I dont have such issues with mine. though.  I suggest you try the H9 and see if you like that. NOt sure about the NC for that but its built like a tank and weighs as much as one :)

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #1,353 of 2,709
  So yesterday afternoon I received my 3th pair. Out of the box no creaks, but after listening 3 hours aprox. creaks came back... 
Thinking about what to do next... Return them and go with the new B&O H9 or, give them another chance and go with a 4th set....
These also had PD of november by the way.

I've been looking to buy the Sony MDR-1000x for a while now. Finally made the decision and I noticed a lot of shops in Belgium that had this headphone on stock until last week (even after Christmas period) have now ran out of stock with no indication when they would be replenished. For others, their stock is drastically decreasing (15-->7 in a couple of hours).

Could this be an indication that a new production batch is on its way; perhaps with this issue resolved? Or is this just wishful thinking?

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,354 of 2,709
I have been using the 550 with USB cable on my Surface Pro 3 at work. Let me check what the audio quality is tomorrow and get back to you about the quality level. Where are you going to check this level at?

Thanks for the help...
When I connect my 550's to my Surface Pro 4 with a USB cable and then play music (Groove Music App) the audio from the 550's is very poor, no bass and very flat sound in general.
I look at the settings under the small speaker icon in the tray and it says "headset earphone (PXC550)"
When I connect via BT the settings under the speaker icon in the tray says "Headphones PXC550 Stereo" and the audio is great, as it is via any other BT connection, including my MacBook Pro.
It seems to me that Win10 selects USB drivers for low quality earphone, not HQ stereo headphone/speakers, my Mac does see the 550's as HQ stereo speakers/headphones...
Not sure if there's a setting somewhere in Windows 10 to change this but I have spent a lot of time looking and not found one...
Perhaps it needs special Sennheiser drivers?

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,355 of 2,709
You can segregate and route handsfree voice to a phone ( android ) while stereo bt connectivity goes to a laptop/desktop ( windows 10 ) tested it just now. 
Ensure the the BT device advanced option has only "phone audio" enabled, and remove media audio. Turning on and off the 1000x reconnected the same way.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,356 of 2,709
Thanks for the help...
When I connect my 550's to my Surface Pro 4 with a USB cable and then play music (Groove Music App) the audio from the 550's is very poor, no bass and very flat sound in general.
I look at the settings under the small speaker icon in the tray and it says "headset earphone (PXC550)"
When I connect via BT the settings under the speaker icon in the tray says "Headphones PXC550 Stereo" and the audio is great, as it is via any other BT connection, including my MacBook Pro.
It seems to me that Win10 selects USB drivers for low quality earphone, not HQ stereo headphone/speakers, my Mac does see the 550's as HQ stereo speakers/headphones...
Not sure if there's a setting somewhere in Windows 10 to change this but I have spent a lot of time looking and not found one...
Perhaps it needs special Sennheiser drivers?
probably best handled through dm or another thread?

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #1,358 of 2,709
Hope this helps~

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176138.html

Note

1. If pairing is not established within about 5 minutes, pairing mode will be canceled and the headset will turn off. In this case, start over from step 1.
  2. When pairing with a BLUETOOTH device that cannot display a list of detected devices or that has no display, you may pair the device by setting both the headset and the BLUETOOTH device to pairing mode. At this time, if passkey is set other than “0000” on the BLUETOOTH device, pairing cannot be done with the headset.
  3. Once BLUETOOTH devices are paired, there is no need to pair them again, except in the following cases:
    1. Pairing information has been deleted after repair, etc.
    2. The headset is already paired with 8 devices and another device is to be paired.
      The headset can be paired with up to 8 devices. If a new device is paired after 8 devices are already paired, the paired device with the oldest connection time is replaced by the new one.
    3. When the pairing information for the headset has been deleted from the BLUETOOTH device.
    4. When the headset is initialized, all pairing information is deleted.
      In this case, delete the pairing information of the headset from the BLUETOOTH device, and then pair them again.
  4. The headset can be paired with multiple devices, but can only play music from one paired device at a time.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #1,359 of 2,709

That does not specifically say that they can connect to two devices simultaneously, in fact it sort of suggests that it can be paired with up to 8 devices but will only connect to *one paired device at a time*
If they can connect to two paired devices at a time surely they would say so and not be so vague?
I have never used the 1000x but it seems that for many owners that connecting to two devices at the same time is not possible although I believe that some versions of the 1000x in certain markets can do this.
Hopefully *someone* around here has the facts...

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #1,360 of 2,709
Hello guys,

First of all a big thank you to the community for the mine of information that you can find on the forums.

I just wanted to write a quick impression/review of the mdr1000x and why unfortunately they are going to have to go back. If I make any mistakes here please ping me those are my impressions but I might have missed something :).

I am no audiophile at all but I can enjoy a good setup, up until now I have been mainly using Sennheiser momentum 1 headset (with bigger pads for comfort) coupled with my iphone 6s plus on the go and a fiio e10k at work, my main source of music is Spotify and a few lossless albums that I have ripped from my cd collection.
And I have been looking for a noise cancelling wireless headphones for quite some time now and was hoping that the Sony will finally fill the gap.

Those cans have a lot of good points:
  1. Good sound quality not as defined as the momentum I have but small drop in sq is compensated by the comfort brought by wireless.
  2. They are comfortable with and without glasses.
  3. The touch controls mostly work and are practical.
  4. They look good.

Unfortunately, there are too many issue on the usability side: 
  1. It’s hard to use the headset on two sources at the same time and the sound quality on the phone is worse when coupled as a communication device if I want to listen to music after.
  2. The microphone quality is abysmal, it seems that the mic is trying to pick any ambient noise when I am not talking and in very noisy environment the persons that I talked to told me that they heard everyone around me better than me :frowning2:.
  3. You can’t use the usb connection to listen to music directly which wouldn’t be a problem if charging the headphones wasn’t shutting down the headset and force you to use the provided jack cable. Cable that doesn’t allow you to use the mic…
  4. Most of those could be fixed with a firmware update but according to Sony that responded on the amazon.com page to question you can’t update them (in 2017 seriously Sony…)

And that is why they have to go back I am gutted because I love them but at this price point those issues are inexcusable :frowning2:.

I am now back into mu search for the perfect wireless headphones, I have tried the Sennheiser momentum wireless but they sound awful on my iPhone, I am not a big fan of the Bose sound that only left the parrot zik 3 that I haven’t tried yet but the battery life doesn’t seem to be that good. If you guys have any other solution I would love to hear them. Maybe CES 2017 will give me a solution :D.

Thank you :).

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,361 of 2,709
  Hello guys,

Unfortunately, there are too many issue on the usability side: 
  1. It’s hard to use the headset on two sources at the same time and the sound quality on the phone is worse when coupled as a communication device if I want to listen to music after.
  2. The microphone quality is abysmal, it seems that the mic is trying to pick any ambient noise when I am not talking and in very noisy environment the persons that I talked to told me that they heard everyone around me better than me :frowning2:.
  3. You can’t use the usb connection to listen to music directly which wouldn’t be a problem if charging the headphones wasn’t shutting down the headset and force you to use the provided jack cable. Cable that doesn’t allow you to use the mic…
  4. Most of those could be fixed with a firmware update but according to Sony that responded on the amazon.com page to question you can’t update them (in 2017 seriously Sony…)

If you guys have any other solution I would love to hear them. Maybe CES 2017 will give me a solution :D.

Thank you :).

Sennheiser PXC550 fix all the above negatives of the Sony's, audio quality is close to Momentums, some say better, others say a bit below....
No creaking like a lot have found with the Sony's, they seem very well made.
The big problem is audio level - for me I need them at close to max all the time

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #1,362 of 2,709
Hello Graham,

Thanks a lot for your answer unfortunately like the momentum wireless the pxc550 don’t support aac which means that they need to revert to the SBC for my iPhone :frowning2:.
 I can’t understand why Sennheiser will choose not to support AAC especially with the iphone 7 putting the emphasis on wireless audio :frowning2:.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #1,363 of 2,709
  Hello Graham,

Thanks a lot for your answer unfortunately like the momentum wireless the pxc550 don’t support aac which means that they need to revert to the SBC for my iPhone :frowning2:.
 I can’t understand why Sennheiser will choose not to support AAC especially with the iphone 7 putting the emphasis on wireless audio :frowning2:.

And yet they do support aptX which many Android phones have and even Apple have in their Macs running Sierra, so why not have it in iPhone/iPad too?
Sometimes it's very hard to figure out Apple's direction, actually I am so glad I am almost out of the 'walled garden' after 8yrs of nothing but Apple products... :)

I would try the 550's anyway - you might find the audio quality perfectly OK....

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,364 of 2,709
And yet they do support aptX which many Android phones have and even Apple have in their Macs running Sierra, so why not have it in iPhone/iPad too?
Sometimes it's very hard to figure out Apple's direction, actually I am so glad I am almost out of the 'walled garden' after 8yrs of nothing but Apple products... :)

I would try the 550's anyway - you might find the audio quality perfectly OK....

That is very true, I was just calling out Sennheiser has I expect them to be more responsive to those changes than apple :D. I am still locked in the garden unfortunately so I am just going to wait for the next gen of headsets :).

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #1,365 of 2,709
Why is everybody saying that multipair is impossible? It is clearly possible to connect one device for calling and a second device for mediaplay?!

I think the main issue is that it's not all that quick/handy to hop between multiple devices that are already paired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back