Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 5, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #1,367 of 2,709
In the meantime the creaking sound is starting to annoy me even more. B&O H9 are no option anymore, price to high for what you get. Also don't like the Bose, thats really just made of cheap plastic and many reviewers say the Sony is the better one... So I will wait for their solution and maybe i'm going to have my fourth set....

I honestly would not bother with returns in relation to the creaking noise. The odds of receiving a pair with exactly the same issue (tight plastic in the area of the connection to the cups) is probably high. If you set is working well overall, I'd recommend just using sandpaper on the 4 edges.

My set creaked so much even chewing bubble-gum was annoying, with the slightest jaw movement/pressure making them squeak.

After a quick session of sanding, the noise was almost gone, and now with some more use (I've been lazy to sand a bit more) I pretty much don't ear any noise except for the [normal] sound of the PU leather pads. With use, the normal wear on the edges also ends up reducing it.

Having to use sandpaper on a new set feels quite annoying, but the hassle of going through returns can be a bigger waste of time. Especially because the "sanding mod" leaves no visible marks that might reduce resale value.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #1,368 of 2,709
Got my first pair of mdr1000x today...so happy.

It does sound a bit better than QC35 which I brought 1 month ago for the wife, but have to say bose is a bit more comfortable and light.

I am so proud of myself buying this mdr1000x and they do feel advance than QC35 (not by much,but love the touch pad idea) until I went into trouble with multiple connections....

It does suck a lot. Very certain mdr 1000x is not convenient switching between phones/iPads/computers, almost a deal breaker.

For those people can make it work, congratulations(one for media one for calls, does not count if you ask me). But it is not made for play two devices for sure, it is painful by looking at the price tag......

If you ask me again now, I would say QC35 is still the better choice for someone like me, watching YouTube on notebook and then playing music on iPhone......

I will have to get a Sony Walkman with hi-res function dedicated for mdr1000x now...

No regrets, but annoyed...............

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #1,369 of 2,709
Surprised that there's many people demanding for dual playback function... If I want to listen to music while occasional vids, I just play the ones in my PC, a call while using? Vibration and flashing screen always helps, waiting for important call? Just don't use headphone in the first place. Maybe it's because I like to focus on one thing at a time only. That, and having another Bluetooth connected while transmitting nothing is just battery drain and adding noise to what I want to hear in the first place.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,370 of 2,709
. Also don't like the Bose, thats really just made of cheap plastic and many reviewers say the Sony is the better one...

FWIW, the Bose would have far less plastic than the all-plastic Sonys - QC35's are made from a fibre-glass resin, they have an Alcantara headband and metal ear-cups....
None of which help with the audio quality :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #1,371 of 2,709
  That does not specifically say that they can connect to two devices simultaneously, in fact it sort of suggests that it can be paired with up to 8 devices but will only connect to *one paired device at a time*
If they can connect to two paired devices at a time surely they would say so and not be so vague?
I have never used the 1000x but it seems that for many owners that connecting to two devices at the same time is not possible although I believe that some versions of the 1000x in certain markets can do this.
Hopefully *someone* around here has the facts...

Manual: http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176142.html

Heading: Connecting the headset to an Android smartphone and an iPhone

"When you connect the headset to a smartphone, usually the music playback function and the phone call function are both connected automatically. To make a multi point connection using an Android smartphone and an iPhone separately for listening to music and making phone calls, change the settings on the Android smartphone so that only one of the functions is connected. Connect the Android smartphone first, and then connect the iPhone. You cannot set the iPhone to connect one function only."

Multi connect exists but with limitations (check the manual for closer details, I chose this Android & iPony case only as the clearest example)

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #1,372 of 2,709
^ that's the "One for media, one for calls" he talked about, Sony just doesn't offer native dual playback in this model.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,373 of 2,709
Interesting - landed on the sony webpage today and realised they have increased the UK  RRP by £30 - and seems John Lewis has already updated their price to match.
Are we seeing price rises across the globe on this product or is this just brexit sterling effect ?

I haven't returned my original creaking set ( going in the post tomorrow ) but hey happy to sell at old price if anyone wants it
evil_smiley.gif
 ( OK kidding you really don't want that set)

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #1,374 of 2,709
Just because the topic has come up in the past, here's a list of the audio artifacts I've experienced with this set. Bear in mind I wear them for many hours a day, sometimes up to 10 hours when traveling.

- beeping phone interference (pulsed data bursts). Very rare (i.e., practically never) but at a hotel where I was staying in a tiny village in Salamanca it happened once or twice most nights. Maybe someone was using a specific brand of phone?

- high pitched dog whistle noise. It happened once, no idea what caused it. It wasn't torturous and didn't last very long.

- weird static rumbling sound in one ear. This happened during a single morning about a week ago. Turning them on and off or disconnecting from a source didn't help. I thought it might have to do with my having damp hair at the time. I left them alone for a few hours and later they were fine again.

No mechanical squeaking, no sound distortion, that's all I've experienced after what must be hundreds of hours of use. I can't imagine buying a different set or the next generation (2000X?) unless they came with extremely improved NC.

I hope that helps someone.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #1,378 of 2,709
Hi,

I've just purchased these headphones after getting (in the end) a good deal on Amazon in the UK. I got a pair for £313 from the Amazon warehouse which were described as pristine. When they arrived the box was a bit tatty and missing the outer sleeve, the usb charging cable was also missing. The headphones themselves were in great condition. I spoke to Amazon about the usb cable and they immediately offered me a 20% discount which was great customer service.

Anyway I'm loving the headphones but I have one issue that I can't fix. They are in the lower sound mode setting and I can't figure out how to change them. I'm checking the mode by pressing power and then the NFC button which displays the power charge (red lights) and then one blue light. I've read the help pages but it's not obvious how to change the mode. On my other Sony headphones I would hold the power button and the volume up button to change mode but obviously there is no volume button these. Any ideas? I would post the link to the help pages I'm using but the forum won't let me,

thanks

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,379 of 2,709
Anyway I'm loving the headphones but I have one issue that I can't fix. They are in the lower sound mode setting and I can't figure out how to change them.

Lower sound mode setting? I'm not sure what you mean there (have to admit I never read the manual either)

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #1,380 of 2,709
Yeah the manual says the following but doesn't actually say how to change it bizarrely unless I'm missing something:

"The sound quality is set to the “Priority on sound quality” mode as the default setting.
  1. When using an AAC, aptX, or LDAC compatible device, use with the “Priority on sound quality” mode.
  2. If the connection is unstable, such as when producing only intermittent sound, select the “Priority on stable connection” mode.

Sound quality and indicator (blue) of each mode

When you switch the sound quality mode, the indicator flashes in blue to show the current sound quality mode."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back