Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 20, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,201 of 2,709
Thank you. I'm returning the Sony and getting the Bose. 
the Sennheiser PXC 550 also allows 2 devices simultaneously so might be good option.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,202 of 2,709
Just want to share my experience so far with these headphones. This past summer I bought a JH13v2 Pro because after two years losing my Unique Melody Miracles. I wanted a custom for the best isolation that I can get because I work in loud environments all the time.

Two weeks ago I was at the airport trying on Bose QC25 and QC35. I didn't get either after I googled the MDR-1000x. I haven't used my custom since getting this headphone. I'm completely satisfied with the sound coming from these. I've used it all different kinds of ways in all situations (ANC on, ANC, off, ambient mode, wired, bluetooth) and so far I haven't really noticed a huge difference on my listening sessions. I'm really happy to about this because I've heard that the Bose headphones sounds worse when ANC is off and I didn't notice any degradation while I listed in a quiet room. I've used it on at home, data center/server rooms, airports, cab, airplane and the ANC is pretty awesome. It definitely bests the noise isolation of my JH13v2 Pro. Sound wise I haven't really done a proper comparison / listening session but I think I'm leaning towards the MDR-1000x for now. The thing I love about this the most I think is the ambient voice feature. It just works. I can hear human voice through people talking or speakers so well. Today I was in a data center working with people and I'm so glad I have these things to save my hearing without affecting how I communicate with others.

The only downside is that I think it can off is that I can only pair with one device at a time with bluetooth. I have to reset the headphones to forget the pairing to hook it up to another device. This is the only thing that sucks but so far it hasn't been a big deal. I pair it with Iphone 7+ and the other times I want to use it with other devices I just use it wired. I think it is so worth the price from what I get out of it.The touch features on the side of the ear cup also work well. In conclusion, I highly recommend these headphones for it's sound, features, looks. Maybe someday we can modify/replace the earpads and batteries. 

Pros=sound, looks, features, battery life, arguably best in class in ANC
Cons=can be bluetooth paired to one device at a time and needs to be reset to be used with another device each time, no app/software to go with (lose out on more features, firmware updates/upgrades), planned obsolescence (like most gadgets these days)

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,204 of 2,709
Been using 1000X for a month now and still very pleased with them. The ANC is just the best.
At the moment also trying a pair of the new FIII Diva Pro and the noise cancelling on them is nowhere near Sony levels. 

Quote:
  My unit creaks like mad on the right-side headset. Multiple areas near the hinges and driver enclosure.
Can't believe Sony brought out such an effective ANC unit and then ruined it totally by this oversight on mechanical engineering.
Do they even beta test before rolling out products anymore? just wow... so annoying!

I have had this problem with popping/creaking sounds from the right side a few times, usually in connection with travelling on bus with lots of jerky sudden movements (it's snowy weather here).
I am quite certain this is not a mechanical problem, even though the sounds have some sort of natural mechanical quality about them. 
Instead it has to have something to do with the ANC, beacuse if the ANC is switched off there is not a trace of these sounds.
Would be nice if other people with "creaking" could verify this. It is easy to test because the sounds are not subtle and when they start going they usually just dont stop.
If they occour just switch off ANC, and if they are then no longer present it cant be a mechanical problem?
But again, for me this has not been a frequent occurence at all — I love my 1000X

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,205 of 2,709

I have had this problem with popping/creaking sounds from the right side a few times, usually in connection with travelling on bus with lots of jerky sudden movements (it's snowy weather here).
I am quite certain this is not a mechanical problem, even though the sounds have some sort of natural mechanical quality about them. 
Instead it has to have something to do with the ANC, beacuse if the ANC is switched off there is not a trace of these sounds.
Would be nice if other people with "creaking" could verify this. It is easy to test because the sounds are not subtle and when they start going they usually just dont stop.
If they occour just switch off ANC, and if they are then no longer present it cant be a mechanical problem?
But again, for me this has not been a frequent occurence at all — I love my 1000X

That might be happening in some cases (I haven't noticed it myself) but I think the comments about creaking usually refer to the plastic structure, so purely mechanical. That's the case with mine... the edges of the arms (where it connects to the cups) seem too tight, contacting with the plastic on the cup. You'd hear it all the time, even with the unit turned off (completely, not just ANC).

A test to know if you have it is very simple. Power off the 1000X and put them on while having dinner. The movement of your jaws/cheek alone will be enough to make it creak (if your unit is one that has that build).

This reminds me I've been too lazy to sandpaper it a second time. Almost sure it will totally kill the noise (Already greatly reduced).

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #1,206 of 2,709

That might be happening in some cases (I haven't noticed it myself) but I think the comments about creaking usually refer to the plastic structure, so purely mechanical. That's the case with mine... the edges of the arms (where it connects to the cups) seem too tight, contacting with the plastic on the cup. You'd hear it all the time, even with the unit turned off (completely, not just ANC).

A test to know if you have it is very simple. Power off the 1000X and put them on while having dinner. The movement of your jaws/cheek alone will be enough to make it creak (if your unit is one that has that build).

This reminds me I've been too lazy to sandpaper it a second time. Almost sure it will totally kill the noise (Already greatly reduced).

I understand, I just wrote this because i saw some comments here on noises only from the right side. The mechanical ones should be on both sides, and none of those on my pair.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,207 of 2,709
Anyone else having issues with one of the earcups malfunctioning sometimes? My left earcup seems to lower volume levels on occasion.
And the cord seems to be off as well, it doesn't plug in properly (I only use it with my pc so thats not really my main concern but wondering if anyone has the same issue)

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,208 of 2,709

Sadly creak is there with ANC switched off, but with ANC on they are even worse.
Exactly as posted above, putting them on whilst eating is the best test that is actually how I started noticing :wink:

Decided to purchase a second pair whilst i have the option to return first pair. That way I can compare units rather than have to send one back and wait and repeat.
Going champagne to see if there is a difference ( i know probably totaly unfounded belief they should be different but anyway)

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,209 of 2,709

Actually this is possible but you need to setup the bluetooth connection for the two devices like this:
  1. music device: A2DP (aka media audio) bluetooth mode only
  2. phone: HFP or HSP (aka phone audio) bluetooth mode only

I haven't tried this myself but the manual is quite specific that it should work like this. Since most bluetooth devices grab both modes when doing the initial pairing then you need to manually edit the pairing mode (after the initial pairing) to get it working correctly in the future.

Also a tip for Android users: if your music skips / you experience occasional dropouts then this might be due to screen going off and the CPU going to low power mode resulting in skips/dropouts. The fix here (surprisingly stupid but working) is to install an app which skeeps the screen on as long as the music player app is running. Naturally this will drain the battery a bit but it has kept playback problem free for me (Note 4).

I've tried pairing with phone and laptop and it works fine (phone for calls and laptop for audio).

Switching between two audio sources is not too bad either, since pairing is really quick. Of course if you are constantly switching then the QC35 might be a better option.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #1,210 of 2,709
I've tried pairing with phone and laptop and it works fine (phone for calls and laptop for audio).

Switching between two audio sources is not too bad either, since pairing is really quick. Of course if you are constantly switching then the QC35 might be a better option.
or PXC 550 which also allows for 2 devices simulateously.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #1,211 of 2,709
For those units with creaking, please search this thread for "creak" or "noise" to see some of our attempts to reduce the noise from use of tapes, powder, lubricants, and with sandpaper by @beowulf 

The creak noise on mine is mechanical, and after a few days, it first affected the left then the right side of the unit.

Sadly though, I haven't read any feedback from Sony (or any rep) on this.

On the positive side - those attempts have indeed reduced the noise considerably that it's now a pleasure to use the 1000X!

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #1,212 of 2,709
so is the ability to pair to multiple devices pretty easy to implement (via firmware, possibly?) but sony just isn't allowing it? and what would be their reasoning behind this?

i have a couple of BT ear/headphones and both pair to multiple devices. it would seem that sony is purposely not allowing this...anywhoo...i will be receiving my 1000x on saturday so it's not like this one feature or non-feature is keeping me from them.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #1,213 of 2,709
  so is the ability to pair to multiple devices pretty easy to implement (via firmware, possibly?) but sony just isn't allowing it? and what would be their reasoning behind this?

i have a couple of BT ear/headphones and both pair to multiple devices. it would seem that sony is purposely not allowing this...anywhoo...i will be receiving my 1000x on saturday so it's not like this one feature or non-feature is keeping me from them.

I find frequent multiple paring with the 1000X a bit of a pain in the a#s. Often I switch between my desktop (has an AptX dongle) and the phone (S7 Edge) and it's usually not smooth. Yesterday I actually had to remove the dongle as the 1000X kept pairing with it despite my attempts to switch it to the phone. Other times it worked smoothly. Might be a Layer 8 problem, tho.

Despite that I'm still pleased with them. Been lazy but I'll try to sandpaper them a second time this weekend. A bit silly having to do that to cans but it does seem to solve the squeak problem.

The pairing aspect is probably something Sony could polish via firmware alone, but I doubt they will release any update (and perhaps it isn't even possible with the interface they used).

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,214 of 2,709
The Sony MDR-1000x's are my first pair of expensive (£250+) headphones, and I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Having first received them I was super impressed. I purchased them solely on the basis of reviews and write-ups online, I hadn't seen them in the flesh prior to ordering them online. I wanted a pair of decent noise cancelling cans, and it was either going to be these, the QC35's or Momentum 2.0 Wireless. I went for the Sony's because I liked the touch controls and ability to let audio pass through by covering the right side. They sounded super (albeit to what is not a particularly discernible ear), and the noise cancelling blew my mind. In an office environment, it was like pressing a mute button on the outside world.

Out of the office, wearing them during my commute, there was a niggle. Initially I thought it was interference, and then a creak which effected the left headphone, but on reflection I think it was a rattle. Walking would cause it, turning my head slightly from left to right would cause it, riding on a bus if I was sat near the engine would cause it, lightly touching the left headphone would cause it. It was present whether the cans were switched on or off, and the right side was absolutely fine. After a week I realised it was a fault which wasn't going away and one which I was not prepared to live with.

Having put my problems into Google I happened upon this thread. I contacted the retailer I purchased them from (a big national UK retailer called Currys PC World), and having mentioned the make and model was told this was a known issue, there were no repair options, but I could come into store and switch them over. Issue was, they had no UK stock. They only got stock back in a week ago and having switched them over my new set are thus far proving completely problem free - and I love them. My guess is their lack of stock was a function of their existing stock needing to go back to Sony, but in reality who knows.

Reviews often seem to criticise the touch controls are being hit and miss. I haven't found this to be the case at all. There is a bit of a learning curve, but having worked through that I can skip tracks and change the volume with no problems at all. It also seems to work well when I'm wearing gloves which is a bonus.

Overall a very happy customer. It's a shame that they shipped a product which was initially faulty, and whilst it's hard to know how widespread the problem was, that took some of the gloss off initially. But when they work, they are very, very good.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,215 of 2,709
  The Sony MDR-1000x's are my first pair of expensive (£250+) headphones, and I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Having first received them I was super impressed. I purchased them solely on the basis of reviews and write-ups online, I hadn't seen them in the flesh prior to ordering them online. I wanted a pair of decent noise cancelling cans, and it was either going to be these, the QC35's or Momentum 2.0 Wireless. I went for the Sony's because I liked the touch controls and ability to let audio pass through by covering the right side. They sounded super (albeit to what is not a particularly discernible ear), and the noise cancelling blew my mind. In an office environment, it was like pressing a mute button on the outside world.

Out of the office, wearing them during my commute, there was a niggle. Initially I thought it was interference, and then a creak which effected the left headphone, but on reflection I think it was a rattle. Walking would cause it, turning my head slightly from left to right would cause it, riding on a bus if I was sat near the engine would cause it, lightly touching the left headphone would cause it. It was present whether the cans were switched on or off, and the right side was absolutely fine. After a week I realised it was a fault which wasn't going away and one which I was not prepared to live with.

Having put my problems into Google I happened upon this thread. I contacted the retailer I purchased them from (a big national UK retailer called Currys PC World), and having mentioned the make and model was told this was a known issue, there were no repair options, but I could come into store and switch them over. Issue was, they had no UK stock. They only got stock back in a week ago and having switched them over my new set are thus far proving completely problem free - and I love them. My guess is their lack of stock was a function of their existing stock needing to go back to Sony, but in reality who knows.

Reviews often seem to criticise the touch controls are being hit and miss. I haven't found this to be the case at all. There is a bit of a learning curve, but having worked through that I can skip tracks and change the volume with no problems at all. It also seems to work well when I'm wearing gloves which is a bonus.

Overall a very happy customer. It's a shame that they shipped a product which was initially faulty, and whilst it's hard to know how widespread the problem was, that took some of the gloss off initially. But when they work, they are very, very good.

thanks for your thoughts. and welcome to head-fi!

that squeak problem sounds like a pain...i actually have a pair arriving tomorrow that i bought refurbished. i wonder if they were returned bc of the squeak...it was a big discount so maybe i can live with the issue anyway, if it's even there.

more and more i've been getting into wireless headphone solutions...especially since i have young kids, it's much easier walking around untethered around the house and not having to worry about the kids getting tangled up in wires, etc. i don't have the time to listen critically anymore, which is why i'm selling my reference stax stuff, and i'm happy to sacrifice sound quality via wireless for the benefits they provide. and it seems that for wireless, the 1000x has very good SQ...hope to post more after i've listened to them a bit after christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back