Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 20, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #1,186 of 2,709
Hey guys,

I bought Sony MDR-1000x from Amazon when it had the $50 discount for $350. Today I received it and I like how it sounds every way.

But I'm also a little confused about the connectivity and confort. After putting the headphone for about 1 hour, my ears become very hot. I read reviews that Bose QC35 is a lot more confortable than 1000x and connectivity to more than 1 resource is what you can get with it. I tried to connect öy iphone to sony while it was connected to my Mac but it failed. I had to disconnect it from my Mac first.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should return this and get a Bose QC35. I have QC25 also which I like very much but I can't decide which wireless I should get. I also like to have the confort. Of course I like Sony's features too. That's why I'm confused. Can you guya help me to decide please?

I have all three: QC25, QC35 and 1000X.  The QC35 feels the same as the QC25, so if you like how the QC25 wears then the QC35 is for you.
For some people, the shallow 1000X pads warm up ears faster than the Bose pads.

The pairing steps on the QC35 is not all that difference from the 1000X.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #1,187 of 2,709
I also like to have the confort. Of course I like Sony's features too. That's why I'm confused. Can you guya help me to decide please?

No easy choice for you. The 1000X are comfortable but I agree that they can get too hot and be a bit unpleasant in long sessions, especially if the room is hot. They're also less versatile in terms of connectivity, which might be relevant for people with multiple devices.

In terms of sound quality (in general), ANC efficiency and usability of the controls, I think there isn't much doubt at this time that the 1000X is the new leader.

Velvet pads would help with the heat issue, but they would probably also reduce the passive noise isolation (which is pretty good, sometimes even making the ANC unnecessary)

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #1,188 of 2,709
I'm using the 1000X for around 2 weeks now, on my daily commute and at work.
I used another BT HP before, the V-moda Crossfade Wireless, and have to say that the connection to my LG V10 is much better with the sony!
With the CFW i had drops and clicks all the time, and it didn't support AptX.

What I don't like about the 1000x is that I can't connect to two different devices. For example to working pc and phone. So I can to listen music from the computer and receive calls when needed.
Another issue I have, but not that often, is a small sound or rattling in the right driver. This happens only when I'm in a bus or while walking and no loud music playing.
It's like feeling the driver moving and bouncing. I don't know if this is normal, but it's weird.
Also the case it comes from is not convenient, the way how you need to fold he headphone, I'm always folding the wrong side and then correct. It sucks.

Sound-wise I like the Sony, they do nothing wrong. No particular sound is more pronounced than needed, and it's in general a pleasant sound.
By no ways is it a boring sound, but I've heard more engaging HPs also.
After using the NAD HP50, Shure SE846, Vmode CFW and Fostex X00, I think the sonys are the least interesting in sound, but the most useful headphone.
Dont get me wrong, with least interesting I mean it's not special in any way, but this doesn't make it bad. It's just a sound that the broad masses will like, sony house sound sig i guess :)

I love the convenience and of course the ANC. I was always against ANC saying that PNC is good enough especially when music is playing.
But reality is different, and after using the sony you just start realizing by how much daily noise we are exposed.

Sometimes I put the sonys on without music playing, just to have some silence.
I don't use the ambient mode or voice mode. When music is playing, I still can't hear people talking. But it's certainly useful in the office.

That's it for me, convenience got me over sound quality. I hope the battery doesn't die too soon and that the pads stay soft.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,189 of 2,709
My unit creaks like mad on the right-side headset. Multiple areas near the hinges and driver enclosure.
Can't believe Sony brought out such an effective ANC unit and then ruined it totally by this oversight on mechanical engineering.
Do they even beta test before rolling out products anymore? just wow... so annoying!

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,190 of 2,709
  My unit creaks like mad on the right-side headset. Multiple areas near the hinges and driver enclosure.
Can't believe Sony brought out such an effective ANC unit and then ruined it totally by this oversight on mechanical engineering.
Do they even beta test before rolling out products anymore? just wow... so annoying!

So disappointing to hear this is still the case.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,192 of 2,709

It's either return or sandpaper. Tight plastics in some units. I quickly sanded mine and the noise was almost fully gone. It will probably be fully gone after another session but I couldn't be bothered yet (currently the creaking is minimal/only with lots of movement)

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #1,193 of 2,709
It's either return or sandpaper. Tight plastics in some units. I quickly sanded mine and the noise was almost fully gone. It will probably be fully gone after another session but I couldn't be bothered yet (currently the creaking is minimal/only with lots of movement)

I will most likely sandpaper it if I only heard from the hinge area, but problem is I hear another sharp creak inside driver enclosure whenever I move my neck or mouth (almost sounds like IEM driver flex).  

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,196 of 2,709
What would be the real benefit of being able to pair the headset to more than 1 device?

I have an iPad, an iPhone, and a MacBook Pro. Sometimes I watch movies on the iPad in the plane and want to use my Bose or on the MacBook. Sometimes when I travel with my wife, she wants to borrow my QC35. Having to re-pair for each use scenario is terrible.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #1,197 of 2,709
  What I don't like about the 1000x is that I can't connect to two different devices. For example to working pc and phone. So I can to listen music from the computer and receive calls when needed.

Actually this is possible but you need to setup the bluetooth connection for the two devices like this:
  1. music device: A2DP (aka media audio) bluetooth mode only
  2. phone: HFP or HSP (aka phone audio) bluetooth mode only

I haven't tried this myself but the manual is quite specific that it should work like this. Since most bluetooth devices grab both modes when doing the initial pairing then you need to manually edit the pairing mode (after the initial pairing) to get it working correctly in the future.

Also a tip for Android users: if your music skips / you experience occasional dropouts then this might be due to screen going off and the CPU going to low power mode resulting in skips/dropouts. The fix here (surprisingly stupid but working) is to install an app which skeeps the screen on as long as the music player app is running. Naturally this will drain the battery a bit but it has kept playback problem free for me (Note 4).

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,198 of 2,709

I have an iPad, an iPhone, and a MacBook Pro. Sometimes I watch movies on the iPad in the plane and want to use my Bose or on the MacBook. Sometimes when I travel with my wife, she wants to borrow my QC35. Having to re-pair for each use scenario is terrible.

Thanks. I bought Sony MDR-1000x and I've been trying it since last night. I like all of touch sensor and ambient sound features but when it comes to bluetooth connectivity I may regret my choice in the future. Because I also have Macbook Air, iphone and ipad. I use at least 2 of them at the same time. 

So for example let's say that macbook is connected to bose. Can we also connect it to iphone? While watching a movie on macbook, if I have an incoming call, what happens? Is the sound switched to iphone automatically? If so, that's an awesome feature and it's a shame that Sony doesn't have it.

I don't have a QC35 but I have QC25 and today I tried both of them to understand if there was any uncomfortable feel. I'm definitely sure that Sony is getting very hot soon and in about 10 minutes I have a bad feeling around my ears like burning. Of course it's not that bad but I'm planning to use these headphones while playing Oculus Rift and they'll be paired with my PC. So I don't want any discomfort. That's why I may return the 1000x although I bought it for $350 and get the Bose QC35. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,199 of 2,709

So for example let's say that macbook is connected to bose. Can we also connect it to iphone? While watching a movie on macbook, if I have an incoming call, what happens? Is the sound switched to iphone automatically? If so, that's an awesome feature and it's a shame that Sony doesn't have it.

Yes, in theory that's what happens although with my MBP it's very reluctant to let go of the BT connection and let the QC35's take a call on my Android Note3.
I blame Apple for this (OSX 10.10.5), not Bose. The MBP is hard to both connect and disconnect *any* BT device reliably...
When I have the QC35's connected to both my Note 3 and Note Pro tablet (both Android) they switch perfectly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back