Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 15, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #1,156 of 2,709
Fully locked into to iLife.

I'd move to Android but not the rest of the family.
everything I own is apple except phone, iPhone is a nono for hifi audio.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,157 of 2,709
If iPhone is outputting AAC (like from Apple Music) isn't there theoretically no quality loss because there's no transcoding before the audio is sent to the headphones? I may be off but I think I've read that.

I use these with my iPhone in that scenario & have no issues with the audio quality at all. Obviously tidal would be different, just curious about the AAC aspect.
highly doubt AAC support on the 1000x, whats the point if you're still limited in storage, at least that's my issue, I own 220GB worth of flac files.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,161 of 2,709
Dec 16, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #1,162 of 2,709
Hi all !!!
i did have the cracking problem from the left pad...pretty annoying. Luckly they replaced them with a new pair and they're ok!
But i'm experiencing a problem using facetime audio! THe persone who i'm speaking with can't hear me properly while in a crowded place such as airport, train station, supermarket ! Never used with a normal call but "SHOULD BE THE SAME THING", right?

Any help o similar experiences?

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #1,163 of 2,709
  Hi all !!!
i did have the cracking problem from the left pad...pretty annoying. Luckly they replaced them with a new pair and they're ok!
But i'm experiencing a problem using facetime audio! THe persone who i'm speaking with can't hear me properly while in a crowded place such as airport, train station, supermarket ! Never used with a normal call but "SHOULD BE THE SAME THING", right?

From my friend experience is, if you use 1000X for phone call, the iPhone only set to its microphone by default.
So try click on the Bluetooth logo while you having a phone call and set the microphone(or device?) to 1000X should have some improvement.

Never used the Facetime but I guess it is the same? Some option to set the microphone?

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,164 of 2,709
1000X worked like a champ at 16F with 15mph winds.
So far on multiple days with freezing temperatures, my 1000X had no structural issues. Has kept my ears warm and blocked most of the strong winds. The QC35 mixes some of the wind sound with the music. The 1000X does not. With the Sony, you can hear the music clearly and the wind sounds like it's brushing pass the upper portion of the headphone. You get a clear separation of music and wind.

Was listening to 'I'm confessin' ', track 3 of jazz at the pawnshop in the subway and heard the sound of glasses at the bartender counter behind the saxophone :saxophone:. The ANC of the 1000X was that good. With the QC35, the glasses were not as distinct and closer to the instruments.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,165 of 2,709
  Hi all !!!

I had the same problem. These headphones are useless for calls on noisy places. On quiet places they are average at best.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,166 of 2,709
So it appears from my quick online search that Sony's A17 walkman does support LDAC?
If that's true then ALAC or FLAC files I have on there should be wirelessly transmitted to the 1000x with no lossy compression at 44/16, is that correct?

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,167 of 2,709
  So it appears from my quick online search that Sony's A17 walkman does support LDAC?
If that's true then ALAC or FLAC files I have on there should be wirelessly transmitted to the 1000x with no lossy compression at 44/16, is that correct?

Yes...the A17 has LDAC.  And I would agree with your conclusion.  I was using the A17 with the MDR-1abt (LDAC) with no problems.  Switched over to the B&W P7 wireless (using apt-x) from the A17 as I found the signature much more to my liking.

Bern

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,168 of 2,709
correct! 16Bit 44.1khz files transmit uncompressed unless the file is ripped at a higher Bit-Rate than 900kbps.... I used to hear the compression with the parrot zik 2 and also with the Bose qc35 on my old android phone, not anymore due to Ldac via Xperia XZ.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,170 of 2,709
Creak of doom has attacked me 3 days in. Judging by the way these are constructed I'm not going to bother with another pair. I am going to go with the P7's again. Good luck folks.

Demoed the mdr1000x finally. Personally, the difference in sq of the p7 over the mdr1000x is too huge compared with the ANC of the mdr 1000x over the p7 for me to consider buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back