Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 13, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,128 of 2,709
  I just pulled a trigger on this.. @$240 brand new, I feel it's no brainer. Let's see how it performs.

Last wireless I tried was the Jaybird x2 and could not stand the SQ (bad!).

It's not a a miracle, but I can tell you that I can do a direct track switcharoo from the 1000X to the Z1R (or 800S or CD3000) without feeling disgusted, which is saying a lot considering they're a Bluetooth ANC set. I'm not too experienced with the ANC aspect in particular, but in terms of generic sound quality, they sound very decent for wireless, in fact, they sound better than many respected wired cans.
That is a great price btw, quite worth it.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,130 of 2,709

It's not a a miracle, but I can tell you that I can do a direct track switcharoo from the 1000X to the Z1R (or 800S or CD3000) without feeling disgusted, which is saying a lot considering they're a Bluetooth ANC set. I'm not too experienced with ANC in particular, but in terms of sound quality, they sound very decent for wireless, in fact, they sound better than many respected wired cans.
That is a great price btw, quite worth it.

Hey that's great to hear. I still want the Z1R, but I want to purchase it through the Canadian dealer for warranty purpose.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,132 of 2,709
$240 where?

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,136 of 2,709
The Sony earcups are similar to the QC35, which is to say that I tried both side by side and found them to be fine in terms of generous over-ear fit and certainly much better than the Skullcandy / Beats / etc. These are both premium headsets and neither clamp down on your head or ears like average cheap headphones. The Bose may be a little more spacious in the earcups, but neither are ear-crushers.

So, to the meat of it. A short time ago, I bought the QC35 and from side-by-side comparison in a mall store, standing next to possibly the loudest, most garish, and most irritating woman on earth (who in retrospect turned out to be a perfect test for noise reduction!!) I can confirm that the noise cancellation and fidelity are slightly better on the Sony MDR 1000x, but with a couple of big caveats that caused me to buy the Bose. The Bose were more comfortable and I actually prefer the sound profile of the Bose. The Bose seem either more "natural" or more "rolled off on the top" in much the same way Shure in-ear monitors are. The Bose are more old-school in their sound profile. If you like 70's cans, you'll like the Bose. It just depends on what you want. I want to listen to hours of books on tape and classical music in a shop environment where heaters and de-humidifiers cause enough sound to make my ears feel beat-up after a few hours. The Bose alleviate this problem and leave my ears feeling fresh after work. I switch it up between foam plugs, Peltors, the Bose, and in-ear monitors depending on what I'm doing on a given day, but the Bose are perfect and I'm glad to have added them to my ear protection arsenal.

I should be more specific about the MDR 1000x's noise cancellation. The reason I said it was better than the Bose, is that it seems to cancel sounds that are higher in frequency. Both the Bose and Sony cancel ambient noise and low-piched pressure exceptionally well. But the Sony attenuated a bit more of that annoying nitwit's grating voice. So, it depends on what you want. If you're riding the subway and want to cut out both ambient noise and rude people, and you are willing to put up with headphones that are about as comfortable as most good headphones but not as comfortable as the Bose, then go with the Sony. If you want to cancel out background noise on planes, buses, industrial settings, traffic noise etc., and you want to do it over a number of hours with a high degree of comfort, then go with the Bose.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,137 of 2,709
After owning 2 sets of ANC Bose. The on ears and over ears, one after another, and looking into these Sony's and the new Senn ANC's, I am still not convinced there will be an audiophile set of ANC (with ANC as good as these bose and Sony's)headphones any time soon. I think things will be in a holding pattern for a while because of the current wireless obsession, and now this high def Bluetooth. Been waiting for an over ear alternative to my er4s. I'm way too behind the times to ever use Bluetooth. Plane rides have become just constant low volume music listening/inner peace sessions, but I could never get there with over ear noise canceling headphones. Not looking for the same sound signature as the er4s by any means, so maybe I'll be ok with the sony's, but it just doesn't seem that they are that great when it comes to straight music sound quality based on my research. Guilty as charged for not trying them yet, though!

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,138 of 2,709
Happytalk

I came to a new set of cans being in a similar position to you.  I have had a faithful pair of Ety's since iPhone 1.  It was only because I lost them last year that I started demoing a new pair.  I tried the new Ety's - and they were great - however in the end I sent them back.  I have been using a pair of PowerBeats 2 wireless when I exercise and have taken them on a plane several times.  I will not return to wired cans - wireless is simply too liberating.

I have three pair of headphones in the house right now - all purchased over the course of the last several weeks.  Not that I am in the habit of buying multiples for home addition - but simply because situations have come up.  I started with the B&W wireless P7's  - spectacular - however only passive noise isolation and every sound comes in.  Next I tried the new B&O H9's because they were just announced and started shipping last week.  Another nice sounding pair of can's however - the noise cancellation is virtually non existent.

I demoed both the Sony MX1000 and Bose QC35 in Best Buy.  The Bose annoyed me due to the ear pressure from ANC.  Honestly I did not understand all of the hoopla over the Sony's on the forum - most likely due to the fact that while the demo model of the Bose allowed me to pair my iPhone and listen to my own tunes the demo model of the Sony limited me to six songs from a Sony playlist - and I did not know if they were low bit rate MP3's etc.

I knew in my heart that as good as the B&W's were they would be useless on an airplane due to a lack of ANC.  The B&O's noise cancellation was a joke.  I returned back to BestBuy and purchased the Sony's yesterday.  They most likely will be a keeper.  The noise cancellation seems to be the new reference point in the game - and quite honestly they are quite listenable.  Most of my listening is done on a full blown Naim/Linn system so I am used to engaging, musical toe tapping performance.  The Sony's seem to give that - and the noise cancellation makes things dead silent.  Yes - they are not Ety's - however in my use situation - airplane flights - they will do.  I do not miss the wired umbilical cord running to the iPhone in my pocket - and I do not miss jamming the Ety's in my ear and getting uncomfortable after two hours.  I will miss the sound - however what the Sony's offer will most likely keep me happy.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,139 of 2,709
Happytalk

I came to a new set of cans being in a similar position to you.  I have had a faithful pair of Ety's since iPhone 1.  It was only because I lost them last year that I started demoing a new pair.  I tried the new Ety's - and they were great - however in the end I sent them back.  I have been using a pair of PowerBeats 2 wireless when I exercise and have taken them on a plane several times.  I will not return to wired cans - wireless is simply too liberating.

I have three pair of headphones in the house right now - all purchased over the course of the last several weeks.  Not that I am in the habit of buying multiples for home addition - but simply because situations have come up.  I started with the B&W wireless P7's  - spectacular - however only passive noise isolation and every sound comes in.  Next I tried the new B&O H9's because they were just announced and started shipping last week.  Another nice sounding pair of can's however - the noise cancellation is virtually non existent.

I demoed both the Sony MX1000 and Bose QC35 in Best Buy.  The Bose annoyed me due to the ear pressure from ANC.  Honestly I did not understand all of the hoopla over the Sony's on the forum - most likely due to the fact that while the demo model of the Bose allowed me to pair my iPhone and listen to my own tunes the demo model of the Sony limited me to six songs from a Sony playlist - and I did not know if they were low bit rate MP3's etc.

I knew in my heart that as good as the B&W's were they would be useless on an airplane due to a lack of ANC.  The B&O's noise cancellation was a joke.  I returned back to BestBuy and purchased the Sony's yesterday.  They most likely will be a keeper.  The noise cancellation seems to be the new reference point in the game - and quite honestly they are quite listenable.  Most of my listening is done on a full blown Naim/Linn system so I am used to engaging, musical toe tapping performance.  The Sony's seem to give that - and the noise cancellation makes things dead silent.  Yes - they are not Ety's - however in my use situation - airplane flights - they will do.  I do not miss the wired umbilical cord running to the iPhone in my pocket - and I do not miss jamming the Ety's in my ear and getting uncomfortable after two hours.  I will miss the sound - however what the Sony's offer will most likely keep me happy.

Man! Thanks! Thanks for the personal touch. Right on the money. You get what I'm thinking about here. Glad to hear you like them. It may be inevitable that I get them as well if there isn't a competitor in the next couple years. I can't use my phone for music. It's a baby picture device only. Not even an extra app anymore. So my phone or Bluetooth is out of the question. If there is ever an onboard Bluetooth DAC on a headphone or whatever it would be called that buffers the file (whole album?) back to its original size and sound quality, I may be convinced of wireless. I do feel that there should be a no frills, wired, great sounding over ear noise canceller for the festivus in the rest of us. Meaning it has to have the best noise canceling abilitiy (like the two top dogs do currently) and great (what would be the best in class) sound quality, for it to be what I'm talking about. Must...resist..wire....less....

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #1,140 of 2,709
  Question on LDAC: Does anyone know if LDAC supports or will support multiple headphones for home theater? That's quite a bit of bandwith, should be possible…

I want to get a set of wireless headphones that are great for traveling but also works for watching movies with the wife when the kids are asleep and/or without annoying the neighbours (we don't have a dedicated TV room and our house leaks a lot of sound).

You can use MDR-1000X in standard Bluetooth mode with your current home theater. If you want LDAC sound quality, you'll have get a Sony home theater system that has LDAC Bluetooth. LDAC is just a codec and separate from whether or not a product supports multiple Bluetooth receivers. Yes, there are Sony home theater systems that support multiple headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back