Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 16, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #826 of 2,709
Would all the creaking, static be related to where you use it, eg outdoors vs indoors, room / static temperature vs varying temperature.
Regardless, I have to say it's not a good thing considering it's supposed to be a premium product.

Issue is always there whenever you use it.

Kinda defeats the excellent NC when you always hear creaks for every jaw movement.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #827 of 2,709
Issue is always there whenever you use it.

Kinda defeats the excellent NC when you always hear creaks for every jaw movement.

A sad flaw to an otherwise really good pair of ANC headphones.

If it's the joints, wonder if there's any lubricant (non-liquid type) we can use. I'm not experiencing the creaks (and hope I never do), but it's worth exploring.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #829 of 2,709
Got mine yesterday and took them for a subway ride, the NC is spectacular and without doubt the best sounding NC phones available. Actually, this is the first time I think Im going to add NC cans to my collection, I always ended sending back all previous intents I had with Bose, Parrot, Meelectronics, Beats, Sennheiser, Audiotechnica and even other Sony models... I do a lot of transatlantic traveling but so far I survived with my CIEMS, the thing I never enjoyed with the CIEMS is the changes in cabin pressure plus they are wired, the versatility of this 1000x seems greater while on the road. I will test them next week with busy airports, airplanes and trains.

Stop propagating the creak thing, this is how myths are made... Mine are perfectly fine and it appears that also others are fine too. Im sure it was a bad batch and this doesn't make them bad phones that deserve a bad myth.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #830 of 2,709
  Got mine yesterday and took them for a subway ride, the NC is spectacular and without doubt the best sounding NC phones available. Actually, this is the first time I think Im going to add NC cans to my collection, I always ended sending back all previous intents I had with Bose, Parrot, Meelectronics, Beats, Sennheiser, Audiotechnica and even other Sony models... I do a lot of transatlantic traveling but so far I survived with my CIEMS, the thing I never enjoyed with the CIEMS is the changes in cabin pressure plus they are wired, the versatility of this 1000x seems greater while on the road. I will test them next week with busy airports, airplanes and trains.

Stop propagating the creak thing, this is how myths are made... Mine are perfectly fine and it appears that also others are fine too. Im sure it was a bad batch and this doesn't make them bad phones that deserve a bad myth.

​Myth is something that's not true, and it's pretty obvious some people have issues with it. I never said they were bad headphones, and for that matter, no-one here said they were. They were just annoyed that it creaks and clicks, defeating the purpose of NC: silence​. If I wanted to hate on them, I'd just return it and get a refund. I love these enough that I want to give another pair a go.

Please let others share their perspectives and opinions, just as I respect yours.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #831 of 2,709

Glad to have you on-board and that you're enjoying your new MDR-1000X.

But pls don't tell me or anyone who is suffering from the creak issue as "propagating myths".  As I've said from my previous posts, it's a good HP with stellar features except for the annoying creak noise.

Don't you think others have the right to know that there are people like us who suffer from bad manufacturing/design?  Such is my primary reason for posting.  Another is to get advice from more experienced enthusiasts who might be able to help me (lubricants?  which ones? etc?) aside from returning them back and waiting for replacement.

I'm keeping them because the Ambient Sound (and NC) is pretty useful and that I have no access to other NC headphones with a similar feature.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #832 of 2,709

A sad flaw to an otherwise really good pair of ANC headphones.

If it's the joints, wonder if there's any lubricant (non-liquid type) we can use. I'm not experiencing the creaks (and hope I never do), but it's worth exploring.

You're a lucky one.  

Yes, was waiting for someone who can affirm the lubricant approach as I have no experience putting them on headphones.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #833 of 2,709

While I agree that this thread has kind of been ruined by all the creaking complaints, that just goes to show that it may be a valid issue with the 1000x. My pair is also creak-free and they have graduated to being my daily driver pair, at least for now lol. Very very happy with these, and I'm glad to leave it at that. Reading this thread is a bit of a downer, tbh, heh.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #834 of 2,709
I will also report that mine is creak free after a few weeks and if anyone has issues with bass i can assure you this things can really go low. And im coming from the sony z5 and the v moda m100s. I think Versatility is the main word here with this pair. They offer excellent NC and bluetooth if you need that but i keep them wired with the NC for the best performance and i push them to the limits with my new vorzamp duo and the bass is amazing.

So all in all this things are really awesome.I guess the pxc 550s would be the next best thing in terms of overall versatility. I need to pit them against each other .. 

Anyone tried the bose 35s wired and pushed it to the limit ? Does the bass hold up or distort ? 

I see that the creaking thing seems to be an issue but then again i understand that its only a handful that has this issue. As most others seem silent on this matter and that means no issues. I have to say the creaking thing got me worried and rather paranoid and i hope those that have this issue get theirs replaced and not have the problem reoccurring.  

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #835 of 2,709

Exactly. Part of the problem is that they have pretty good passive isolation, a very good fit/seal (with my ears at least) and the ANC is also good, so you're left with a bit of a feeling of vacuum in slow passages, which makes the plastic creaks audible.

I see that the creaking thing seems to be an issue but then again i understand that its only a handful that has this issue. As most others seem silent on this matter and that means no issues. I have to say the creaking thing got me worried and rather paranoid and i hope those that have this issue get theirs replaced and not have the problem reoccurring.  

I wouldn't that much. In fact, they are quite good in general. The creaking isn't super loud, but it's definitely there. There's a video review where the reviewer placed a microphone inside the cups to demonstrate the voice controls and accidentally it shows very well how the plastic creaks when he moves or even talks.

Maybe there are multiple batches with tweaks to the materials, that is possible. But some people might also be using them mostly with music that doesn't have many slow passages. I use them for calls and audiobooks too, and during pauses the noise is audible.

I'd say enjoy them if you're happy with them. Excluding that issue, technically they are quite nice, both in ANC/sound quality and usability.
I'm going to test mine a bit more since the return window ends on Nov 27, so a bit over a week left. Might end up getting the Senns for a side-by-side comparison before returning the 1KX.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #836 of 2,709
Exactly. Part of the problem is that they have pretty good passive isolation, a very good fit/seal (with my ears at least) and the ANC is also good, so you're left with a bit of a feeling of vacuum in slow passages, which makes the plastic creaks audible.

I wouldn't that much. In fact, they are quite good in general. The creaking isn't super loud, but it's definitely there. There's a video review where the reviewer placed a microphone inside the cups to demonstrate the voice controls and accidentally it shows very well how the plastic creaks when he moves or even talks.

Maybe there are multiple batches with tweaks to the materials, that is possible. But some people might also be using them mostly with music that doesn't have many slow passages. I use them for calls and audiobooks too, and during pauses the noise is audible.

I'd say enjoy them if you're happy with them. Excluding that issue, technically they are quite nice, both in ANC/sound quality and usability.
I'm going to test mine a bit more since the return window ends on Nov 27, so a bit over a week left. Might end up getting the Senns for a side-by-side comparison before returning the 1KX.

I'm mainly using mine with a text-to-speech app while I compose articles so I can listen out for problems in my writing, with breaks of up to 15 minutes without playing sound at all. No strange noises.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #837 of 2,709
I'm mainly using mine with a text-to-speech app while I compose articles so I can listen out for problems in my writing, with breaks of up to 15 minutes without playing sound at all. No strange noises.

That is a curious use. In that scenario I'd say you'd definitely be able to hear as much noise as I do with audiobooks. Perhaps Sony added some rubber rings or made any other change in some units. The noise isn't too loud, but when you have a tight seal even things like chewing gum/moving your jaw will make it crack.
I'm puzzled by the units that do not seem to have the issue and curious if it will develop with time. Guess we'll see when they have been in the market for longer.

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #838 of 2,709
That is a curious use. In that scenario I'd say you'd definitely be able to hear as much noise as I do with audiobooks. Perhaps Sony added some rubber rings or made any other change in some units. The noise isn't too loud, but when you have a tight seal even things like chewing gum/moving your jaw will make it crack.
I'm puzzled by the units that do not seem to have the issue and curious if it will develop with time. Guess we'll see when they have been in the market for longer.

I just hear the usual sounds I get with any headphones, but virtually nothing from the headphones themselves. Has anyone complained about the issue outside this thread? I'm sitting here trying to make the earcups creak by moving my jaw exaggeratedly but the closest I get is my cheekbone rubbing against the fake leather.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #839 of 2,709
Woohoo!  I think I got good news for the minority users with the creaking noise.  And hope this will convince the others that the MDR-1000X is an excellent HP indeed!

My initial solution to the creaking noise: Put Johnson's baby powder between the earcups (with "Sony" name) and the headband (look at the picture below).  Be careful not to overdo the powder, just enough to cover the plastics.  Then swivel the earcup to cause friction and make sure it rubs the plastics together.  Then I cleaned the powder from the plastics with my fingers and nails, the nails is to make sure some rough-edged plastics are smoothened.  Never mind the remaining powder as it may help loosen the friction.

Tried wearing it for a few minutes, moving my jaw and head, and though I can still hear some noise, they've been reduced significantly!

It's been more than two hours after the "fix" and I now truly appreciate the MDR-1000X's excellent Ambient Sound and NC!  I also ate dinner with the HP on Ambient Sound mode and was really pleased with the solution.  (Family didn't really like me eating with them on so I'm not doing it again!)

In theory, I think the noise came from the rough-edged plastics of the headband rubbing against the other plastics of the earcups which swivels.  And by putting the baby powder and rubbing them together (including use of fingers and nails) - it smoothened those rough plastics.  So long-term, I think the noise will go away when those rough edges are gone too.  That might explain why some/most have no issue, because their plastics are already "smooth". :)

Here's a picture where I put baby powder to reduce the Sony MDR-1000X creaking noise:

Disclaimer/s:  I hold no responsibility to whatever happens to your very nice headphones if you do the above steps.  I know the baby powder is not ideal but it's what I have that's practical and I don't have any dry lubricants.  I'm not sure if I used the correct terms for the HP parts but hopefully the picture helps what parts I'm talking about.  What I did is a risk of my own and I give due credit to the suggestion/s here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/581728/hd650-headphones-creaking-seeking-advice

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #840 of 2,709
Sony has had a creaking issue with every plastic based headphone they have released in the past few years from the MDR1R/A to the MDR-100/ABN so it's safe to say they know about it and don't feel it's enough of an issue to fix.
Can't speak for anyone else but I've owned the 1a the h.ear over-ear, 1rbt, 1abt, 1r, 1000x, + some older models, and NONE of them had any creaking issues when worn on the head. Sure there's some creaking noise when moving the cups whilst the cans are off the head, but in normal use there's no issue. Haven't heard of ANY reviewers pointing out the issue in any reviews for any Sony headphones I've heard either. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back