Sony MDR-1000X
Aug 17, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,206 of 2,709
Aug 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,210 of 2,709
I am in the market for wireless ANC headphones and was really leaning towards the 1000x - until I read about the many reports of cracking and the poor customer service from Sony about it, so I am now leaning towards the QC35. It kind of sucks because BestBuy has the Sony's on sale fro $299 this week!

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,211 of 2,709
I am in the market for wireless ANC headphones and was really leaning towards the 1000x - until I read about the many reports of cracking and the poor customer service from Sony about it, so I am now leaning towards the QC35. It kind of sucks because BestBuy has the Sony's on sale fro $299 this week!

Cracking seems to be limited to a few of them......knock on wood.

Depends on the type of sound signature you're after.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #2,213 of 2,709
I inadvertently engaged the ANC Optimizer feature (push and hold the ANC button for a few seconds) and now there is a slight hiss in the headphones (mainly, right side).

Any idea how to get rid of the optimization and go back to how it was before? It was much more silent before.

I already did a reset (push power button + ambient sound button for 7 seconds until blue light blinks 4 times) and even repaired with my devices, but it did not do the trick.

Any ideas?

Absolutely no way I would keep the Sonys if I can't go back to silence.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,214 of 2,709
Reset the headphones to factory default as described here:

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176175.html

But bear in mind that these are noise cancelling headphones and they will hiss when the noise cancelling is engaged.

If you don’t like the hiss, which to all intents and purposes is inaudible when music is playing, then just disengage the noise cancelling feature until you need it.

By the way the online manual that I’ve linked to is way more comprehensive than any of the printed or PDF manuals that are available so it’s well worth a read for anybody who hase these headphones.

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,215 of 2,709
New development from the sony community thread:
https://community.sony.com/t5/Webcast-Discussion/MDR-1000X-Headband-Cracks/td-p/619760/page/5
The affected serial numbers with potential cracks are 5000001-5256984

For anyone super worried, mine were bought almost at launch and are in this range (5034xxx) but I've had absolutely no issues with any cracks in the frame. They look perfect as in the first day.

Mine did creak and squeak, but that was fixed with use (and sandpaper). At the moment they are quite flawless and have surpassed my initial expectations.

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #2,216 of 2,709
For anyone super worried, mine were bought almost at launch and are in this range (5034xxx) but I've had absolutely no issues with any cracks in the frame. They look perfect as in the first day.

Mine did creak and squeak, but that was fixed with use (and sandpaper). At the moment they are quite flawless and have surpassed my initial expectations.

The thought of having to fix squeaking in headphones with sandpaper is kind of scary. Add in the cracking that a lot of people have and especially with the poor way Sony is handling it has steered me towards looking at other ANC headphones. That kind of sucks as I loved the feature set of the Sony.

Aug 23, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #2,217 of 2,709
Hi everyone,
I just have a question about a replacement cable for the MDR-1000X.
I have an Audioquest cable (evergreen) but it cannot fit with the plug of the headphone (the kind of 'shoulder' on the mini-jack plug is too big on the cable, or the free-spacing on the headphone plug is too small if you prefer).

I think about buying this one:
http://www.oehlbach.com/en/for-headphones/cables/xxl®-i-jack-35

The quality seems to be quite good, but due to the price I would be sure that it will fit well with the MDR-1000x. Could anyone tell me if it is the case or not?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #2,218 of 2,709
Here's what I got from local hardware store:

oi6bBuz.jpg

It's firm weatherstrip which just needs to be cut to correct length and put between the plastic ring and the padding. There's adhesive on one side to keep it in place but because it is firm enough it'll stay on just by itself.

22fNH4W.jpg

And I can tell this mod makes a freaking world of difference to me in comfort as the ears are not touching bottom of the earcups anymore. However, firm strip makes padding harder on the stock pads, which brings slight discomfort factor of its own, so a bit softer strip would work better here. However, it can't be too soft otherwise it won't make any noticeable difference in space.

Here's the main culprit pressing against the ear:

Cubb5YU.jpg

And here's the mod with softer MDR-1R pads:

pj8om1d.jpg

This is the most comfortable configuration I've found so far for these headphones. Now I just wish I've taken the black ones as it's much easier to find black parts for headphones.

Next I will probably test DT-250 velour pads, will see how that goes.

Did you ever get round to testing these with the DT-250 pads? Be interested to know if they're compatible, as I badly need to get some cooler, larger velour pads for my pair.

I'll go for the Beyers if they work, but otherwise it's Brainwavz angled HM5 I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back