Sony: I'm pretty pissed off
Oct 9, 2010 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

AT2010

New Head-Fier
Just two weeks ago I bought a pair of Sony mdr-v6's and I noticed a few minutes ago the inner seam at the top of the right ear pad is opening and exposing the cushion. I'm pretty upset because I'm pretty sure I can't tuck it in, glue it back, or anything. I have no idea how to repair this and I don't have the luxury of spending 22 bucks on those velour pads, and even if I did I've searched high and low for a tutorial with pictures to show me how to change them. I just bought these and I don't want to mess them up, but I'm just upset about this.
frown.gif
Could anyone please tell me if there's a way to fix this? The guy at best buy told me they were worth getting if not some Sennheiser model which was a little more expensive.

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 26
Update: The entire inner ear, save for a quarter of it, has unraveled thanks to the very thin and cheap amount of glue they use. I'm sick an tired of this kind of crap happening. How do people use these for hours upon hours daily and I use them far less and I get this?

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 26
Can't you just return them and get another pair? If you got them at Best Buy you can return items within 30 days I believe. If you buy a lot of stuff there and have the silver membership you can return items up to 45 days later. If you're nice and past the return date they might make an exception. They did this once for me on a laptop about 7 years ago. I was like 1 day past the return date and it's video chipset died. I'm a big fan of Best Buy despite some complaints from others. No the prices are not always the best though.

I thought the MDR-V6 also had a warranty if you can't return them. I know the MDR-V6 has a super short warranty because of the lower price. The 7506 has a longer one and that's why it's more expensive.

The Pearstone velour pads are worth every penny to me. I bought them in the past for some MDR-V6s and the M30's. You basically hold them in place and work your way around to get the edge into the cracks, starting from the TOP. It's actually very, very easy, but takes patience.

I actually found out today they work with my Koss Pro DJ 100 and that just made my day. I had to stretch them though, but they're fine and don't degrade the sound at all.

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 26
I don't anything like a receipt or the warranty slip.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/283971/mdr-v6-beyer-pad-mod/15

I found this through the forum, and I looked at my headphones, and they have a groove on the outside, I did a pinch test to see if the pleather would come out of the groove, and sure enough it did, but I let go and it went back in. Would the above tutorial still apply to these headphones which I guess were manufactured in 2010? I wanted to buy the BD velour pads when I was reading about these, but put them off.

Assuming the following are the ones I need to order, I'll charge to my credit card and just pay it off  on payday next week.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313962-REG/Beyerdynamic_942704_Padded_Earcushions_for_DT250_DT280.html

I just don't understand how a single flap in the groove can keep the pad attached to the ear section, or how you can push it into the groove since it seems so soft.

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 26
Even if you don't have a receipt you still might be able to exchange them. If you used cash, probably not. With a credit card they're more likely to accept a return. Even more so if you used a "Reward Zone" card (that's free). I once returned an Ipod Touch years ago because they were able to look it up on my Reward Zone card, but I was a regular customer.

I'd suggest the "Pearstone Deluxe Velour Pads" from B&H.

The whole groove is around the entire headphone and you have the stretch the pad in order to get the edges to fit in the grooves. Then just work your way around. They stay in VERY well. It's so much easier then it sounds. Right now I could do it within a minute easily and it just takes practice. My version of the V6 was probably the same as yours. I bought mine in 2009.

So it's not just a few flaps. The plastic "flap" is around the entire pad when you get it and secures itself in the groove.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 26
I used cash. It was the first time I purchased from Best Buy in at least 4 years. I'm not in their rewards program or anything such as that.

Yeah I've seen the stretching done in a sennheiser video on Youtube, but I don't understand the removal of my sony pads. I just tried a little portion, it's just all soft pleather that would rip if I put too much force. The pictures in that tutorial are great, but a video would be nicer.
frown.gif

And why the pearstone instead of the beyers? Is there any major difference? Also what are the chances of running into that dumb glue wearing off and causing the velour to unravel at the seams? I used the headphones whenever I'm at my computer, so that's anywhere from 1-10 hours a day in total. I really don't want to spend 20 bucks every month getting new pads.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 26
That sucks.

I recommend the beyer pad mod if you decide to bite the bullet and get new pads, it's well worth it.  I hate sweaty ears.

Oh yes, the pads basically "lip" around the plastic IIRC.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 26
Thanks. I guess I'll have to order tomorrow since BH is down until then. How long will the replacement take for a noob like me? Do I need any special tools like double sided tape strips, flathead, etc?

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Thanks. I guess I'll have to order tomorrow since BH is down until then. How long will the replacement take for a noob like me? Do I need any special tools like double sided tape strips, flathead, etc?

If you use the Pearstone versions, probably 5 minutes MAX to put them on if you've never done it before. Really, it's that easy. Basically, most portable headphones have the same way of attaching pads i've found.
I'm actually not sure why someone would use the Pearstone's over the Beyers, but that's just what I went with and stuck with what works. The Pearstone pads are extremely comfortable. I haven't used the Beyer pads for my old V6 though yet.

When you remove the old MDR-V6 pads it's almost impossible to rip them unless you pull too hard.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 26
Ok thanks guys. Can one of you show me with like a picture on how to take the stocks out of the grooves? I'm trying here and I'm most likely doing it wrong. Just a simple pic with the finger position would be great.

I wish they were easy like the type of clips that land in a groove like how some other headphone companies employ in their products.

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 26
Kinda, Its much easier now. I actually bought these velours from BH a year back and installed it as soon as I walked out. There's no way to rip the old pleathers unless you HULK the things
off. Just put you thumb inside the pad and kind of just pull it out gently till you see it coming out of the disk thing that holds the pads.

You will not need glue or anything like that when you put the the velours on as the inner foam piece is just a circle you can insert before or after you put the velour pads on.

Trust me, you will not regret the upgrade. I loved my V6 before the upgrade but couldn't wear them for as long as I wanted. Once I got the velours on, not only could I wear them for hours but the sound, at least the low end, felt a little bit more thumpier and the isolation was bumped up as well. Also, they made great earmuffs in the winter lol.

Try it out and ask for help if you needed again, I'll get pics up if its too difficult.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back