SONY IER-Z1R
May 17, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #2,701 of 15,264
K98LUFbAx-VZ4a-iNosY4DF5Q_Zhnyug6ZnscXPBjXwYlDuKP1A2HM-ITrSG_AoFRd1OOnxv5-DBOaYJQNgCpQEwiFwuq05H2tZFauQWE9bNvKyqCnT2M_nA-ujRtliSNfnr5S2UtPKeevl_tewhVbVowHojRRfkJjtJuLcnVw0G4fnvn_mFY5XMq-5dSrMzBBcMEKnaUAKCxaNEkgJoyIyq1LNRCLntJN7GDkDr_dAF6u5valll5GA2wrzdrtWWS9qIZ_PzRp1oRH-wpa6uPBqasl6V5g2oFqMt_bT30eM6OBBLIEeZyXhu0E9uXT3i-Uur3xGl5ui4vBCjV1PALsSFDg5m7OuonGk1s55XsK1PuQSdjmWWvmsd4-Er6uIdLHQ8QGJeZTENSKoQFBewRfTvATOritcSig7OzqCsoO8dmZAYQ12SMuUx_uYsx17em2Y8Cpg0JCTIiTNUFHgQ2HzuD0fTgrIDxm6VsyDAHbsctoAf0dowdqZCDd-XohhLvtkeFcfCjDKpAUigyC8UXhvKQZjlWACRGPr4-rzwz60PMgdJef9yYRu-hreNkA-1XC36xUILqQme5WN9NliDs7uVyluzqoNbJChCwYsb1lbkphsm1yCdmoumH0QTJLdW49rQvBP6S0ZA69EXK_zQLziT-egWaw=w500-h888-no
I'm guessing it's a driver flex vent. If you look at the exploded view of the iem, there are two holes in the piece that houses the DD, so the vent probably allows air behind the DD to allow flex.

May 17, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,703 of 15,264
So where are we on hearing related vents? Is that a myth or not?
There has never been a concensus on whether they work or not. That subject has brought out some serious argument, with no resolution that I've ever seen.

May 17, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #2,705 of 15,264
And if it bothers soem of you that much, maybe time to try those IEMs with TIA drivers.

May 17, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #2,706 of 15,264
They are sold as sealed IEMs.

May 17, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #2,708 of 15,264
They are sold as sealed IEMs.
Grats on finding the one single link on the internet that says 'sealed' in the listing and declaring it the truth.

Do you think it's just an aesthetic vent or something? Clearly is not. I don't know of many IEMs with DD drivers that aren't vented besides the extra muddy SE215.

As for anyone experiencing 'ringing.' You're very very likely listening way too loudly. I use these at least 5 days a week for between 3-10 hours per day on average due to work. No ringing issues. No discomfort. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think a lot of that comes from safe listening levels.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,709 of 15,264
Hi Everyone;
I've been listening to these awhile now. Initially I had some mixed feelings. I am now quite convinced that they are extraordinary.
Relating to the midrange "controversy", I feel that I pretty well understand it. These iem's really do have a unique soundstage compared to others.
I think many identify, (and feel what is correct) with a strong central image that is placed literally between the ears and eyes. Also, most iem's will tip up the transition between upper midrange and treble to assist with excitement and imaging. On it Z1R, I note that on jazz and classical, the imaging can lie outside of this area, almost forward of the head. Also, the transition between upper midrange and treble sounds relatively flat. Some call this a "recessed" sound. I find it a different type of imaging, and over time, preferred. Coming from a two channel background, this sounds more natural to me. If I were raised on iem's, I suspect this might sound a bit off to me.
Midrange timbre is outstanding. Attack and decay of acoustic instruments has a natural sound, and instruments have a natural weight. I feel that the phase characteristics are left intact, and there is a very large and deep soundstage with abundant spatial information that isn't derived from exaggeration of high frequencies.
I obtained these with the intention of selling them. They aren't leaving my grasp for now.

May 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,711 of 15,264
May 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #2,712 of 15,264
Hi Everyone;
I've been listening to these awhile now. Initially I had some mixed feelings. I am now quite convinced that they are extraordinary.
Yep.
Usually when I listen to a set of IEMs (regardless of price), I am always wishing for a little bit more of this or a little bit less of that.
But when I first heard the Z1R's (with the proper tips), I just had this big schiit-eating grin! :ksc75smile:
And for the first time, I wouldn't change a single thing.
For me, the Z1R is the Mary Poppins of IEMs.

giphy4.gif

386.jpg

May 17, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #2,713 of 15,264
Midrange timbre is outstanding. Attack and decay of acoustic instruments has a natural sound, and instruments have a natural weight. I feel that the phase characteristics are left intact,
Ricky I think your nailed the mid range. To me if the mid range is any more close it will be right in my face and I don't think I like that.
The timbre, resolution, timing are all very good and very real because of that I really like to listen to vocal on the Z1R.

May 17, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #2,714 of 15,264
Relating to the midrange "controversy", I feel that I pretty well understand it. These iem's really do have a unique soundstage compared to others.
I think many identify, (and feel what is correct) with a strong central image that is placed literally between the ears and eyes. Also, most iem's will tip up the transition between upper midrange and treble to assist with excitement and imaging. On it Z1R, I note that on jazz and classical, the imaging can lie outside of this area, almost forward of the head. Also, the transition between upper midrange and treble sounds relatively flat. Some call this a "recessed" sound.

An imaging that is forward of the head rather than between the ears and eyes on average sounds like the very opposite of recessed. This I haven't heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back