SONY IER-Z1R
May 2, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #2,416 of 15,282
Are you in europe?
No. I’m in the US, Kansas to be exact. Placed my order mid-March, scheduled to be delivered mid-May but I guess Amazon got some early.

May 2, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #2,417 of 15,282
I don't have the KSE1200 but I have the KSE1500 (which should sound the same) and the Z1R. The Z1R has significantly larger soundstage with better imagine and the bass is much more visceral with more impact. The KSE1500 is more neutral with significantly better resolution/transparency/detail retreival and faster transient response. Mid on the KSE is not exactly lush but still better than the Z1R's somewhat weird mid. Both have great definition among an iems but I would give an edge to the KSE.
I agreed also based on my initial impression of the Z1R. To me the build quality of the Sony blows the Shure our of the water. Another surprise while listening to the Z1R last night while laying in bed, I was afraid the big Sony will be a problem but it in fact better than the KSE1200 due to the flat back, when I laid on the side. But after while my left ear felt a little discomfort so I need to try smaller tips. So far the Z1R compliment the Shure really well. It’s a fun headphone whereas the Shure is more analytical. So I will keep them both. But if someone tell me I can only keep one then I’m forced to pick the KSE1200.

May 2, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #2,418 of 15,282
I tried third party cables on my M9 (gold plated, silver plated and pure copper) and after what I heard (horrendous performance) I didn't even bother try on my Z1R. When they say that Sony did actually put the best cable match, that's actually true. Also amazing quality cables.

Anyway, I bought a couple copper silver plated adaptors 4.4->2.5 and 4.4->3.5) from OKCSC on Amazon that is working pretty well, no sound degration at all.

OKCSC 4.4 mm to 2.5 mm Converison... https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07DNVN3B5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks. I would've thought the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Meaning if the sound is passed through the silver plated copper adaptor initially, wouldn't that then affect the sound going through the rest of the cable?

But then, I'm no engineer so could be wrong.

Regardless of that, do you find any difference between bal. and single ended?

May 2, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #2,419 of 15,282
I agreed also based on my initial impression of the Z1R. To me the build quality of the Sony blows the Shure our of the water. Another surprise while listening to the Z1R last night while laying in bed, I was afraid the big Sony will be a problem but it in fact better than the KSE1200 due to the flat back, when I laid on the side. But after while my left ear felt a little discomfort so I need to try smaller tips. So far the Z1R compliment the Shure really well. It’s a fun headphone whereas the Shure is more analytical. So I will keep them both. But if someone tell me I can only keep one then I’m forced to pick the KSE1200.

Appreciate your impression. Initially in the game I was looking for an earphone that leaned more on fun, but no these days it has flipped. I can't help but notice when something is off, and it pulls me away from the experience. The KSE1200 has been a wonder in this regard. That said, the experience is also how a sound moves you, and the Sony's fair better in this regard. The Shure's are in no way boring and reference-sounding, but the Sony's are no doubt more of a party.

May 2, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #2,420 of 15,282
Anyone had these for a while with a source they are content with? How is "detail retrieval" past bass? One thing I'm worried about is that I won't really be able to enjoy details and what the entire spectrum may have to offer.

May 2, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #2,421 of 15,282
Thanks. I would've thought the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Meaning if the sound is passed through the silver plated copper adaptor initially, wouldn't that then affect the sound going through the rest of the cable?

But then, I'm no engineer so could be wrong.

Regardless of that, do you find any difference between bal. and single ended?
The Z1R actually uses silver plated copper wire. So if you get a good adapter, the sound shouldn't change (at least not much). I will put the difference between single ended and balanced this way: depends on how and where you listen to your music. if you listen to it on a calm room and not doing multitasking you will notice better detail and separation. If you use them in the office, walking around, cooking or anything that you're not completely focused on the music, the difference is minimum and can pass without issues. The other benefit of the balanced is the output power, in your case I don't think it will be a problem at all as you have an SP1000M.

Silver-coated oxygen-free copper cable
The IER-Z1R uses silver-coated, oxygen-free copper wire, designed to minimize resistance and signal-transmission loss. The result is less sound degradation, finer detail, and smoother treble sounds.

May 2, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #2,422 of 15,282
Tried the Z1R for most the day today; it’s a pain to get it to fit right in my ears but I managed to get it to work. So far I really like the sound but dislike the fit. Has anyone found any eartips that’s smaller than the Sony small hybrid? I was able to use the SpinFit CP240-S but wonder anything else smaller. I didn’t realize I have suck small ear canals.

May 2, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,423 of 15,282
Tried the Z1R for most the day today; it’s a pain to get it to fit right in my ears but I managed to get it to work. So far I really like the sound but dislike the fit. Has anyone found any eartips that’s smaller than the Sony small hybrid? I was able to use the SpinFit CP240-S but wonder anything else smaller. I didn’t realize I have suck small ear canals.
One thing I noticed that the TC tips gets softer with time, so keep trying them. Other thing is that I got a bigger than usual TC to fit and sound better, so no full insertion in the ear, but sealing the whole outside. even the weight comfort got better using this way. currently I am using the biggest TC.

May 3, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #2,426 of 15,282
Most of the time with fw10k, N8 when I thirst for some thumping bass and a good seal in noisy environment.
RK01 with bt band for general purpose

May 3, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #2,428 of 15,282
Sound stage is round, I wouldn’t call it massive though, bass and vocal sounded a bit diffused, treble doesn’t sound anything spectacular to me, treble extension not enough. It’s an all rounder, everything is there but nothing special. They sounded boring to me. I’m no expert, no fancy wordings or charts or the like, I am pretty sure their sound sig. is not my cup of tea. A good lesson learned is never impulse buy, think 3 times before pull the trigger is what I have been reminding myself lately.

Quite a few mentioned 10k has light bass, and harsh treble, which I thought that was the case when I first had them. It is not quite the case after burn in. The bass is more neutral and organic, 1r bass to me on the other hand sounded synthetic... Maybe I deliberately turned on my brain amp to fool myself when I listened to 10k, most of the music I listened to gave me an emotional touch, whether it’s vocal, instruments drums guitar sax orchestra...if you know what I mean.

FYI
I have both the 1r and 10k. To make it short, did an A/B/C (subject being 1r, 10k and a Japanese brand called Ar:tio RK01) blind test with
1. different tips (foams, silicon and smp etc) 2. different dap/amp tube/suax01/cayin N8/sp1000), 3. different cables (stock mod 4.4 pentaconn, others see sig), 4. different people (4 including myself) with different ear canal and size, 5. different gender and age group (1F3M ranging from 25+ to 40+), 6. music genre: Jpop, R&B, rock, concert, Jazz, classical, therapy track, pure vocal male and female, one of each)
Blind tested without knowing the price or tech behind each pair. Environment: ambient dB lvl @ approx. 50-60db.

Conclusion? Majority picked 10k with a grin on their face and a “wow” on 1st impression, rk01 being second and 1r being the least interested due to them sounding like another pair of ordinary earphones = boring. Must give credit to 1r with its jewelry look. They immediately caught our lady tester’s attention when opened up. She was most interested in 1r at first but turns out disliking them with the fit, size and sound.
We took a 2nd and 3rd test impression with different pairing to even out the bias that might have during 1st listening.
When prices were finally unveiled, the only chosen one was 10k and rk01, where 1r was the least desired.

10k being the most desired for sounding and fitting (con: with the impression of fatigue after long hours of listening due to the sound sig.), RK01 being the best choice out of the 3 to be used daily for extended hours, easily best in terms of cost to performance. 1r ...well, it’s a waste of time and hard earned bucks.
That test eventually seals the fate of my pair of 1r and they are up for sale. For me it is definitely a hard lesson learned.

However like some says, “different people has different ears and hearing”, best to try them out yourself, like I did... ;P

(rk01: 200usd 10k: 1700usd, 1r: 1800usd)

May 3, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #2,429 of 15,282
So 10k bass and vocals are tight, treble is emotive and airy? Is "neutral" bass a keyword for weak or forgettable bass? How exactly does the bass of the 10k sound? How are you driving it? I responded to your comment in the 10k thread. Nothing complimentary said about the z1r's bass and the genres aren't rounded. Rock may be the only that stands out. What made the 10k better with rock than the z1r?

May 3, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #2,430 of 15,282
That you are getting into a specific music genre. I will have to go back and compare again since rock is not something I listen to daily 10k vocals are closer in a sense that is not “in your face” distance, 1r sounded further away. In terms of treble, 10k extends really well, some good examples are orchestra or solo with flute and violin. Bass is lighter than 1r in general, but also depend on quality of songs as well. Tighter, more controlled on 10k. I can hear the clarity of bass, not overwhelming at all. When the music has it it pumps out just in the right amount (that’s after burn in).
Testing equipment: Cayin N8 (borrowed source) zx300 with ba300 tube amp, su-ax01 high intensity- Line in mode and usb with k2 on. Cable: 1960 4w and stock cable (4.4 pentaconn with specific solder that contains a small percentage of Pt & Au)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back