Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jan 28, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #2,521 of 3,155
Thank everyone! Looking for a closed back as I live in NYC and there’s just too much ambient noise to rely on open backs for critical listening. Maybe if ZMF makes a closed back Caldera but even then hard to imagine spending 3.5k on some headphones…I’m sure they’re amazing though.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #2,523 of 3,155
also the hd650 could be similar to m9?
It is! Both are warm neutral. Similar organic timbre as well.
Thank everyone! Looking for a closed back as I live in NYC and there’s just too much ambient noise to rely on open backs for critical listening. Maybe if ZMF makes a closed back Caldera but even then hard to imagine spending 3.5k on some headphones…I’m sure they’re amazing though.
Focal Radiance without a doubt. Amazing closed back. Hard to find new though. Also look into DCA Aeon 2 Noire.

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #2,524 of 3,155
Anyone has tried this kind silicone transparent protective case ? How's the experience, can it be used while m9 equipped with that case (see the attachment), it's comfortable while wearing M9 with that case ?!

Attachments

• protection 2.jpg
    protection 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • protection.jpg
    protection.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #2,525 of 3,155
Anyone has tried this kind silicone transparent protective case ? How's the experience, can it be used while m9 equipped with that case (see the attachment), it's comfortable while wearing M9 with that case ?!
I remember a guy bought these kind of protections, you can search in the thread

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #2,528 of 3,155
Feb 1, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #2,529 of 3,155
Yes, I use them. They increase the size of the iem's but in my case it improved the fit
Are you buy them from here https://id.aliexpress.com/item/1005....0.0.4ff362c3AMgXip&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2idn (see the attachment if link cannot be opened) or may i know where are your suggestion for buying it or maybe cheaper alternative (if you dont mind to share), if there is any different in quality or comfort as well or something other i should consider before buying it ?

Attachments

• buy.jpg
    buy.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,530 of 3,155
Are you buy them from here https://id.aliexpress.com/item/1005....0.0.4ff362c3AMgXip&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2idn (see the attachment if link cannot be opened) or may i know where are your suggestion for buying it or maybe cheaper alternative (if you dont mind to share), if there is any different in quality or comfort as well or something other i should consider before buying it ?

In my case, I found them very comfortable, the fit improved and it was very comfortable. But comfort is subjective. Bear in mind that the size of the headphones will increase, so if you have small ears it might not be the best choice. Anyway, I don't regret the purchase. I bought exactly from this link.

Feb 11, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,531 of 3,155
If anyone is looking to buy a pair of M9’s I’ve put mine for sale on classified’s. It is very unfortunate that my weird ear shape doesn’t help with proper fitment, I absolutely love the sound signature so kept holding onto them for a while trying out different brand tips but nothing helped. The shell gets in contact with a certain part of my inner ear and causes pains after a while. I’ve now settled with Ciems and they are such a relief for my ears.
I had to look around a bit to find one used in good condition and fairly priced so thought to share mine here for someone who is looking. Cheers!

Feb 11, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #2,532 of 3,155
If anyone is looking to buy a pair of M9’s I’ve put mine for sale on classified’s. It is very unfortunate that my weird ear shape doesn’t help with proper fitment, I absolutely love the sound signature so kept holding onto them for a while trying out different brand tips but nothing helped. The shell gets in contact with a certain part of my inner ear and causes pains after a while. I’ve now settled with Ciems and they are such a relief for my ears.
I had to look around a bit to find one used in good condition and fairly priced so thought to share mine here for someone who is looking. Cheers!
How does the EJ07 compare with M9 if you don’t mind me asking?

Feb 11, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #2,533 of 3,155
How does the EJ07 compare with M9 if you don’t mind me asking?
I prefer the OG EJ07 over M9 for my library which is mostly metal. Ofcourse the fit is better for my ears and love how the EJ07 brings out the guitar in the mix. Bass timbre is better obviously because it’s a DD, snare tone on certain tracks feel very accurate. Treble is very smooth just like M9, maybe a lil less in comparison unless you crank the volume. Some might find it lacking here maybe? I happen to enjoy this tonality over bright sets. Soundstage and Imaging is better on EJ with more 3D like. EJ07 sound better with some extra power which is not the case with M9. All said both are great sets, for an all BA set M9 is quiet the wonder.

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #2,534 of 3,155
I prefer the OG EJ07 over M9 for my library which is mostly metal. Ofcourse the fit is better for my ears and love how the EJ07 brings out the guitar in the mix. Bass timbre is better obviously because it’s a DD, snare tone on certain tracks feel very accurate. Treble is very smooth just like M9, maybe a lil less in comparison unless you crank the volume. Some might find it lacking here maybe? I happen to enjoy this tonality over bright sets. Soundstage and Imaging is better on EJ with more 3D like. EJ07 sound better with some extra power which is not the case with M9. All said both are great sets, for an all BA set M9 is quiet the wonder.
Thank you for the detailed response. I dislike bright sets so both are of interest to me and your comparison is very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back