Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Feb 12, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #2,536 of 3,155
And what can you say about LZ A7 in comparison in few words?
I haven’t heard the A7 in a while so from what I recollect they are excellent for something under $350, they used to be my go to for a long while and I never got bored of them thanks to its extremely versatility in customising the sound signature with all the nozzles and physical switches which gave 10 tuning options that actually makes a real difference and not just gimmicks to sell. I had nothing to complain at that price point it was underpriced imo, it gave me V signature when I need, warm and bright when I needed and near neutral as well but never felt overdone. It was probably not bass head level bass on the most bassy setting but that itself was damn plenty for my ears, I had to flick the switch to monitor mode to tame that bass everytime. Same with the most bright setting, it was too bright for me but nothing I couldn’t manage with the switch. All the filters have different level of bright/warm sound and the monitor/pop switch helped keeping it neutral or V. Timbre and stage was excellent on Monitor/Blue filter. Silver nozzle gave more wider stage. I mostly had them on red(warm) and blue(neutral) filters on monitor mode. It had the potential to please a wide range of audiophiles Just not sure why they didn’t get the attention they deserved. Probably with so many releases every week they just went under the radar. It was like having a bunch of iems all in one. I kept it along with my most favorite iems along with M9 and few others but after going custom’s I haven’t been using most of my universal ones.

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #2,538 of 3,155
Did any of you try Lavricables pure silver with the IER-M9?
I have moved the CEMA PS cable to the IER-Z1R for the time being and going through my cables I ended up with a DIY cable I built based on pure silver wire in PTFE insulation.
This cable emphasizes clarity and crispness, sounds tighter and "fresher" than the smoother and warmer copper-silver-palladium CEMA PS, and I quite like it as it makes the M9 sound more lively.
image.jpg
Now I am wondering about the Lavricables which seem to be a popular option over on the Z1R thread, specifically this 22AWG version:
https://www.lavricables.com/cables/master-silver-mmcx-iem-upgrade-cable/
Any experiences?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #2,539 of 3,155
Did any of you try Lavricables pure silver with the IER-M9?
I have moved the CEMA PS cable to the IER-Z1R for the time being and going through my cables I ended up with a DIY cable I built based on pure silver wire in PTFE insulation.
This cable emphasizes clarity and crispness, sounds tighter and "fresher" than the smoother and warmer copper-silver-palladium CEMA PS, and I quite like it as it makes the M9 sound more lively.
image.jpg
Now I am wondering about the Lavricables which seem to be a popular option over on the Z1R thread, specifically this 22AWG version:
https://www.lavricables.com/cables/master-silver-mmcx-iem-upgrade-cable/
Any experiences?
Never tried, I wrote them, but they don't have specific mmcx connectors for m9 so I move on, I'm waiting for a cema cable now.

Mar 19, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #2,540 of 3,155
Just received my M9's and starting to burn my ears in. Thoughts so far based on my demo tracks run through a Mojo 2 with EQ turned off (HDTracks/24bit vs. the YouTube below)... Syrupy smooth and easy to listen to without fatigue. Biggest issue I am having is with lead guitar which tends to sound more recessed in the mix than I am used to. Assuming the dip at 5k-10k in the M9's FR is the reason. Thinking about trying out a pair of IE600 as well to see which signature I prefer.

Instrumental track testing for bloat. Nice clean guitar tones. bass and balance but missing a bit of bite

Test of air, dynamics, and vocals - first 1:30 in particular. Drums and guitar were recessed while the vocals moved forward. Guitar and drums lack bite/dynamics.

You know it/standard test. Liked the balanced presentation here and M9 was able to bring out subtle details I had not heard before - jazz guitar tones in particular.

Issues with guitar being recessed/lacking bite. Sax, keys and vocals well presented

Grateful Dead Testing

UCLA '73. Single Drummer - Wall of Sound. Of note are the double balanced microphones being used to cancel out the Wall which is also their monitor. Great separation, definition, and bass tones. Jerry and Donna are not piercing your skull (double mic noise cancellation made vocals sound nasally). Like the way the M9 is able to handle older recordings which may have harsher elements.

Buffalo '77. Cornell gets all the glory, but I prefer the next night in Buffalo. Markedly different sound from pre-hiatus - Mickey is back/double drums, no wall of sound, sweeter tones, and all around tighter. Help->Slipknot->Franklin's Tower is a great test of the whole package. If this doesn't play well and put a smile on your face then there is no point in continuing. Test passed.

Nassau '90. Eyes -> Estimated -> Dark Star with Branford Marsalis sitting in. Jerry is tired and his body is wearing out, but was able to tap into the magic for Spring 90. Another smile test and check of definition/balance/resolution/air.

2569972943_854bc76526.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #2,541 of 3,155
My XBA-Z5 finally died after almost 10 years of loyal service - fallen soldiers, we salute you

In the past, I've favored the Z5 over the M9, due to the slamming bass in the Z5. But with my Z5 in IEM heaven, I decided to give the M9 a second look.

After a lot of fiddling in Apple Music - which does NOT have a proper equalizer, only presets - I found that the "DANCE" preset gives me the same bass response as my beloved Z5, while retaining the more open soundstage of the M9. Plus the superior ergonomics of the M9, which fit in my ear and seal perfectly.

All is good with the world.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #2,542 of 3,155
Just received my M9's and starting to burn my ears in. Thoughts so far based on my demo tracks run through a Mojo 2 with EQ turned off (HDTracks/24bit vs. the YouTube below)... Syrupy smooth and easy to listen to without fatigue. Biggest issue I am having is with lead guitar which tends to sound more recessed in the mix than I am used to. Assuming the dip at 5k-10k in the M9's FR is the reason. Thinking about trying out a pair of IE600 as well to see which signature I prefer.

Instrumental track testing for bloat. Nice clean guitar tones. bass and balance but missing a bit of bite

Test of air, dynamics, and vocals - first 1:30 in particular. Drums and guitar were recessed while the vocals moved forward. Guitar and drums lack bite/dynamics.

You know it/standard test. Liked the balanced presentation here and M9 was able to bring out subtle details I had not heard before - jazz guitar tones in particular.

Issues with guitar being recessed/lacking bite. Sax, keys and vocals well presented

Grateful Dead Testing

UCLA '73. Single Drummer - Wall of Sound. Of note are the double balanced microphones being used to cancel out the Wall which is also their monitor. Great separation, definition, and bass tones. Jerry and Donna are not piercing your skull (double mic noise cancellation made vocals sound nasally). Like the way the M9 is able to handle older recordings which may have harsher elements.

Buffalo '77. Cornell gets all the glory, but I prefer the next night in Buffalo. Markedly different sound from pre-hiatus - Mickey is back/double drums, no wall of sound, sweeter tones, and all around tighter. Help->Slipknot->Franklin's Tower is a great test of the whole package. If this doesn't play well and put a smile on your face then there is no point in continuing. Test passed.

Nassau '90. Eyes -> Estimated -> Dark Star with Branford Marsalis sitting in. Jerry is tired and his body is wearing out, but was able to tap into the magic for Spring 90. Another smile test and check of definition/balance/resolution/air.

2569972943_854bc76526.jpg

Nice analysis, I don't feel guitar to be recessed,but maybe it depends on the record

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #2,543 of 3,155
Nice analysis, I don't feel guitar to be recessed,but maybe it depends on the record
Thanks! It was most noticeable for me on the Fleetwood Mac track - particularly the intro with just the guitar and kick drum. Try comparing to a set of speakers or open back with the volume up. Feels to me like the guitar and drums take a couple of steps back on the M9... still there but not as in your face.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #2,544 of 3,155
1. Resolution/detail retrieval wise, How does Sony m9 hold up to other TOTL IEMs out there? 64 audio u18s/t, 64 audio fourte, empire Odin, empire evo, VE Ext, VE Phoenix, Sony Z1r, UM mest mk2, Moondrop S8 etc? Thanks all

2. Which have better details Sony m9 or moondrop S8?

3. Pure BA is my preferred Iem of Choice. Any recommendations in upgrade path from Sony m9?

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2,545 of 3,155
Pure BA is my preferred Iem of Choice. Any recommendations in upgrade path from Sony m9?
M9 is the king of warm neutral so you’re out of luck here.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,546 of 3,155
The M9's warmth and thickness of tone interferes with ultimate detail retrieval. It resolves quite well but not TOTL. That said, highly resolving tends to go hand in hand with colder/thinner/more fatiguing.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,547 of 3,155
1. Resolution/detail retrieval wise, How does Sony m9 hold up to other TOTL IEMs out there? 64 audio u18s/t, 64 audio fourte, empire Odin, empire evo, VE Ext, VE Phoenix, Sony Z1r, UM mest mk2, Moondrop S8 etc? Thanks all

3. Pure BA is my preferred Iem of Choice. Any recommendations in upgrade path from Sony m9?
I can only compare the UM Mest mk2 with the M9 as these are the only ones you’ve listed that I own.

I think the M9’s midrange detail is better than the Mest’s, but the Mest has better bass and treble texture / detail.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,548 of 3,155

Hi I didn't try any of those iems, but as already said, totl iems tend to have a mid-high tuning, very different from the sony m9.

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #2,549 of 3,155

1. Sony M9 is pretty good kilobuck IEMs, I owned them but sold the M9 because of redundant reason (keeping the M7 for 80% of M9 sound with 50% price, value is the key here, and have Z1R on my TOTL list. If you talk about resolution / detail retrieval only, the M9 is great but slight below those you've been mentioned above, the 64audios, EE Odin, Evo, never heard Ves at all, Sony Z1R, UM Mest Mk 1 / 2. But still above Moondrop S8. Mostly also combined with "fake resolution" or boost on presence region (4-5khz that perceived more resolution) here.

2. Sony M9 have better details than S8, I have S8 too, and for overall i prefer M7 rather than S8, and definitely M9 over S8.

3. If pure BA is a must then I'm afraid you have to aiming high, the U12t with similar, clearer tuning. I can't think definite upgrade of M9 if you need BA only. UM Mest are great with the imaging, and technicalities, for me they are slight upgrade to M9 but with not so warm presentation (Mest OG is colder with more crisp resolution, but more unnatural because of the crispiness, while UM Mest Mk II sit between M9 and UM mest OG in terms of warm/cold presentation with slightly hairline cut of the perceiving resolution.

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #2,550 of 3,155

I have tried and owned almost all the ones you have listed. M9 and Z1R are more or less equal. Z1R has larger stage and more impactful bass response (M9 has excellent, S- tier bass while Z1R is S or SS class). Midrange is superior on M9. I am not a fan of how 64audio stuff sounds, they are technically extremely capable but I don't find them engaging enough. VE IEMs have exceptional midrange but treble needs to be eq'd often, bass is adequate. I currently own the MEST MK2 as well and its grossly overpriced for what it is. Bass is disjointed from rest of the sound and while it has plenty of rumble, lacks impact/kick. Kinda like wet fart if you get my gist. Midrange is thin, chi fi esque and suffers from obviuos 'BA timbre'. Treble however, is excellent. Airy and linear. Maybe if it was priced 600/700 then It'd be okay. Moondrop S8 is garbage like every other run of the mill, overhyped moonjank IEMs. Oh, and not a fan of the Empire Ears stuff unfortunately. Good wow factor and there are particular things they do really well like holographic imaging, raw details and such. But all of them have below average timbre for the price. IE 900 and Elysian Annihilator are extremely good and on par with Z1R/M9. Aroma Audio Jewel is fantastic as well although bass could have been better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back