Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Dec 1, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #2,431 of 3,155
Dec 1, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #2,432 of 3,155
Yup. I have not ever heard of any ear-tips being more expensive. But I still did buy a pair from amazon.pl for 24.99, but at least shipping should end up around 0 for me.
It would be a decent value if the comfort with M9 will be sublime and they last at least a year. :fingers_crossed:
I'll be very curious to test those out as I've been trying to get used to Moondrop Spring tips, but they do cause a severe pressure build-up to the point of being painful. It's strange that RSV—also being closed-back causes no such issues... 🤷‍♂️
Currently I'm jumping between Sony hybrid-foamies in MS and M sizes, they do have a negative of breaking up the seal if I open my mouth too much (yawning or eating), but the comfort more than pays up for it.
Consider that on amazon jp the price is 1980 yen the equivalent of 13-14€ but I can't buy them. So moondrop springs aren't working with m9?
but these aren't sony, I don't know if the result would be the same

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #2,433 of 3,155
So moondrop springs aren't working with m9?
For me personally - they are not ideal. Maybe for someone less sensitive of pressure build up they would be perfect.
Also, I'm not sure what exactly causes a somewhat severe pain while wearing those for a longer time. It could be not the pressure itself, but the lip of the tip, which is too tall for an M9 ridge, hence, you have a few ways of how to fit the tip. I used to centre the lip on the ridge, but now I'm experimenting with pulling the lip as far down as possible, basically aligning the top of the lip with the end of the ridge on the IEM. Maybe this will produce somewhat different comfort results.
I've also snagged L sized tips to test. Generally Spring tips tend to be on the lower side of sizing and some do say, that they are one size smaller than other brands. Maybe they are not like that based on dimensions, but their extreme suppleness causes this experience. 🤷‍♂️

Consider that on amazon jp the price is 1980 yen the equivalent of 13-14€ but I can't buy them.
Don't forget to add taxes (VAT) + shipping when we are talking about importing these. And the difference does shrink a bit.
Also, IMHO, Japan has a somewhat different economy compared to the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,435 of 3,155
Honestly considering buying another m9 pair to keep new in the box. Until mine break or Sony discontinues them.

Ive found what i like and want to stick with it :)
Well I doubt they will discontinue them until they release a new range. You should give the 64 Audio U12T's a try, I don't think the comfort is as good as the M9's but the clarity and technical performance is worth it.

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #2,436 of 3,155
Well I doubt they will discontinue them until they release a new range. You should give the 64 Audio U12T's a try, I don't think the comfort is as good as the M9's but the clarity and technical performance is worth it.
I wish i could try them before spending so much on a set. But in Utah, United States, there are 0 options i know of. So its comes down to: Buying and returning an expensive set. Or auditioning them in loud room at canjam a couple states away.

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #2,437 of 3,155
Honestly considering buying another m9 pair to keep new in the box. Until mine break or Sony discontinues them.

Ive found what i like and want to stick with it :)
I know what you mean, but just enjoy the m9 without thinking if they break or other things like that

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,438 of 3,155
I know what you mean, but just enjoy the m9 without thinking if they break or other things like that
I was thinking the same thing but instead I have bought a few different iems that are great & actually compliment the m9.
Its good to have a variety for different forms of music. They don't have to be expensive but I'm sure I will move into a few top tear iems just to see how good they are. Imagine having top grade steak for dinner every night you will soon get sick of it what do they say variety is the spice of life. Lol

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,439 of 3,155
Current setup. Tips pictured are the stock hybrid silicone. But i switch to the EP-NI1000 often.

Dongle is the newer Shanling UA2 Plus.

Id love one of the new Sony DAPs, but this does just fine. .
20221205_140935.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #2,440 of 3,155
Current setup. Tips pictured are the stock hybrid silicone. But i switch to the EP-NI1000 often.

20221205_140935.jpg
Nice, has the shangling enough power to drive the m9?

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #2,442 of 3,155

20221205_140935.jpg

i own the sony nw zx507 and i can say that it really makes a difference compared to the questyle m15 for example. I have a feeling that sony headphones are tuned to deliver their full potential on sony daps. This is a perfect match IMO. Sony daps offer higher soundstage, resolution and image than IERM9.

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #2,444 of 3,155
Just chiming in to report that after 6 months of ownership of the M9 and 5 months of running them on a ZX507 through UAPP / Final Type E tips, I still find myself looking for this set to listen to music even though I own an excellent stereo setup and a solid over-ear hp setup (see signature).

Although I'm sure there are lots of other options out there that offer different flavours or better performance in certain aspects, rarely have I found myself this content in over 20 years of my audiophile journey; worth a mention!

On a different note, I was always curious about the Stagedriver and ProPhile series from InEar; anyone with experience here, and how do they compare with the M9?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #2,445 of 3,155
Just chiming in to report that after 6 months of ownership of the M9 and 5 months of running them on a ZX507 through UAPP / Final Type E tips, I still find myself looking for this set to listen to music even though I own an excellent stereo setup and a solid over-ear hp setup (see signature).

Although I'm sure there are lots of other options out there that offer different flavours or better performance in certain aspects, rarely have I found myself this content in over 20 years of my audiophile journey; worth a mention!

On a different note, I was always curious about the Stagedriver and ProPhile series from InEar; anyone with experience here, and how do they compare with the M9?

I've tried the Stage Diver 4 and Stage Diver 5 and ProPhile8.

Compared to the Stage Diver 4 and 5, I think the M9 has a more natural timbre. The M9 probably is slightly better in technicalities and soundstage. Maybe these two Stage Divers have better bass texturing compared to the M9 though.

The ProPhile 8 has better technicalities than the M9, though it has worse BA timbre. The ProPhile 8 is more versatile as it has 4 potential tuning options via tuning switches, which the M9 of course doesn't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back