Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #2,401 of 3,196
Tried the UM MEST MK2 yesterday. Its great but unfortunately no M9 beater if overall presentation is considered. Midbass lacks texture and midrange is slightly on the thinner side. S tier resolution, imaging and separation though but not as natural and engaging as Sony. Significant improvement over crappy MEST MK1.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #2,402 of 3,196
yes Oriolus IEMs are really well tuned with great timbre. I liked the Isabellae as well. Its slightly spicy in the upper mids though and tip rolling is massively limited thanks to fatass nozzles. Great for the price nonetheless.
Yes fantastic nozzles for sure lol
The best tips I have found that suits them are the azla sednaearfit vivid 1st choice & azla sednaearfit max 2nd choice or standard 3rd choice & even they are a pain to fit.

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,403 of 3,196
Tried the UM MEST MK2 yesterday. Its great but unfortunately no M9 beater if overall presentation is considered. Midbass lacks texture and midrange is slightly on the thinner side. S tier resolution, imaging and separation though but not as natural and engaging as Sony. Significant improvement over crappy MEST MK1.

Can't say I feel the same. Also just recently joined the IER-M9 and the more I listen to it, I can really appreciate M9's technicality and its presentation. Overall, it's growing on me more and more but I still like my MEST MK2 and it does give a brighter sound signature and wider sound stage. I would say they are different flavor but comparable at the similar level just depends on what you're in the mood for and what kind of music you listen to. EDM, I would go with MK2 and metal I would go with M9

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #2,404 of 3,196
Think there is a theme going on!
20221122_192915.jpg

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #2,406 of 3,196
Can't say I feel the same. Also just recently joined the IER-M9 and the more I listen to it, I can really appreciate M9's technicality and its presentation. Overall, it's growing on me more and more but I still like my MEST MK2 and it does give a brighter sound signature and wider sound stage. I would say they are different flavor but comparable at the similar level just depends on what you're in the mood for and what kind of music you listen to. EDM, I would go with MK2 and metal I would go with M9
They're very different and maybe they do complement each other, before gettin the m9 I was close to the mest, but the reported fit issues and the tuning itself made me a bit skeptical about, I'm glad I didn't buy them. And again the m9 are awesome with metal, I don't know if there is out there another set that is better, maybe yes maybe not, I cannot try all, and the price of some is prohibitive for me, but for the first time I'm completely satisfied and I don't feel the urge to search for something else.

Compared to my other mains: fir audio vxv, very natural and balanced tuning, but brighter than sony, the bass is from a dd, but is light tuned and the m9 seems to have more weight. VxV is an all rounder but when it has to handle metal it's a bit too polite and mild for my taste; m9 is more technical too.

Dorado20 the opposite of vxv, very bold tuning, the bass is powerful but still controlled, very fun iem, but when we come to metal, especially technical metal, the m9 is far ahead in terms of imaging and separation, no way.

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #2,407 of 3,196
My first listen, set aside some listening time this evening. Qobuz via windows pc, into Taz z1hes. Straight away it was the laidback Sony sound, like the music is playing in slo mo, relaxed and unassuming. From the first track i knew straight away these iems are being held back sonically by the supplied cable. I listened on, this time to the 'Stones Sympathy for the Devil..flat, unassuming, easy going but uninteresting. So a break was required, into my drawer i go, pull out my Dunu all silver Blanche 4.4mm cable, swapped over and restarted the same track. Hells Bell's!!!!!! In 40 odd years of music appreciation i have never heard a cable make SO much difference. Staggering is a term that springs to mind. Stock can stay well and truly in the box permanently. Now to just purely to listen to music without scrutiny.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #2,408 of 3,196
My first listen, set aside some listening time this evening. Qobuz via windows pc, into Taz z1hes. Straight away it was the laidback Sony sound, like the music is playing in slo mo, relaxed and unassuming. From the first track i knew straight away these iems are being held back sonically by the supplied cable. I listened on, this time to the 'Stones Sympathy for the Devil..flat, unassuming, easy going but uninteresting. So a break was required, into my drawer i go, pull out my Dunu all silver Blanche 4.4mm cable, swapped over and restarted the same track. Hells Bell's!!!!!! In 40 odd years of music appreciation i have never heard a cable make SO much difference. Staggering is a term that springs to mind. Stock can stay well and truly in the box permanently. Now to just purely to listen to music without scrutiny.
I don't buy into cable making a difference thinking usually but when I switched over to the cable that came with my Fiio Fh7, I did notice clarity and sound stage improved. Maybe it's all in my head, kind of disappointing since I like the stock cable build and material better

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #2,409 of 3,196
The reason I sold the M7 (same design as M9) was the fit. I even prefer the Z1R- at least it seals

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #2,410 of 3,196
Nov 27, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #2,412 of 3,196
You had sealing issues with the M-Series? I am highly surprised. With foam?
With everthing. Pained me in certain points in the ear. I remember reading about other people selling it too because of a bad fit.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #2,413 of 3,196
With everthing. Pained me in certain points in the ear. I remember reading about other people selling it too because of a bad fit.
I'm still surprised how that happens. The actual IEM barely touches the ear at all, you can wear it in a way that only the earpiece actually touches the ear.

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #2,415 of 3,196
One of my friends have fit issues with M9 as well (he has odd shaped and much smaller than average ears).
The M9 is on the bigger side, I can understand fit issues with this one, especially due to being made from metal

But the M7 is considerably smaller and lighter, there are almost no In-Ear that are smaller

Users who are viewing this thread

Back