Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #1,427 of 3,155
They are not the same cable. Z1R cable looks/feels more robust/premium, and it's considerably thicker. As I just took the delivery of M9 (20 min ago) :wink:, won't be able to compare the sound just yet.

Regards
Is the Z1R cable compatible with the M9? And would you say they are an "upgrade" over the stock cable? I am planning on getting an extra M9 cable and wonder if I should just get the Z1R cable. They are about the same price.

Aug 19, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,428 of 3,155
Oh thanks so much. I just snagged a pair.

Question - how long should each pair last me?
You're welcome. Can't speak to the longevity of the triple comfort tips as I normally use the hybrid tips; the triple comfort tips were just so comfortable that I wanted to have some backups.

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,429 of 3,155
Is the Z1R cable compatible with the M9? And would you say they are an "upgrade" over the stock cable? I am planning on getting an extra M9 cable and wonder if I should just get the Z1R cable. They are about the same price.
Yes, the Z1R cable fits the M9 perfectly.
There were posts with statements that the Z1R cable was an upgrade over the M9 cable, but I can’t confirm, never compared them.

A cable that got good feedback is the CEMA Tianwaitian, but at $400+ it was more than I am willing to spend, so I bought a cheaper CEMA PS cable with special connector to fit the M9/Z1R. I posted a photo and description a few weeks ago.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,430 of 3,155
Hi,
SR25 owner here. Have you tried comparing the balanced to unbalanced 3.5mm with the m9? I don’t know if it’s worth the money to get a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter. And if it’s worth it, can I know which one you purchased? Thanks.
the balanced 4.4 is much better imo. gives a richer and fuller sound, and also needs less power.

i use this adapter (https://www.amazon.com/DD-DJ44B-Headphone-Converter-Headphones/dp/B09229JV11), which is just the one i got when i bought the sr25 but it does its job. i def think the adapter is worth the money.

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #1,431 of 3,155

1. Yes it is. 2. IMO. It is better than M9 stock cable. I hear greater dynamics.

Regards

Edit: Currently running Z1R cable with M7 and trialling the MUC-M12SB1 with M9

headphones.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,432 of 3,155
1. Yes it is. 2. IMO. It is better than M9 stock cable. I hear greater dynamics.

Regards

headphones.jpg
Do you note a difference in sound between M7 using stock cable vs using Z1R vable?

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,435 of 3,155
Outside of perceived sound improvements, is the cable better in any way? Thicker cable construction? More durable? More comfortable? Etc.

Thanks!
Thicker construction. Not sure about the durability (looks sturdier), Comfort is about the same, although M7 cable is lighter and probably better for the portable use.

Regards

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #1,437 of 3,155
Thank you for the calling out the crux of this discussion: "... perceived sound improvements..."
I'm not saying they don't exist but I am 100% sure I would not be able to tell. Hell I can barely tell the difference between using my IER-M9s directly out of my macbook vs. my $1200 DAC/Amp lol. Just being honest.

And no, the DAC/Amp is not a waste of money as I still use it for EQ and some other neat features

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,438 of 3,155

Regards

headphones.jpg
Do you have just the Z1R cable part or do you actually own Z1Rs as well?

so M7 woth sony kimber sounds great, what about IER-Z1R -+ sony kimber

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,439 of 3,155
I'm not saying they don't exist but I am 100% sure I would not be able to tell. Hell I can barely tell the difference between using my IER-M9s directly out of my macbook vs. my $1200 DAC/Amp lol. Just being honest.
Your honesty is refreshing. So many 'enthusiasts' and especially industry representatives would do well to emulate it.

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #1,440 of 3,155
Your honesty is refreshing. So many 'enthusiasts' and especially industry representatives would do well to emulate it.
nah we’re all different. i don’t want to say others can’t tell the difference between silver cable or copper cable but i can’t hear that level of nuance. i’d love to see an audiophile do a blind test between 2 setups with minor changes (like wire type) and see if they really can tell in an A/B test like that.

my assumption is cable makers might hate that kind of test lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back