Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #1,397 of 3,155
So, i just got a pair. Sounds great on my old xduoo. But am looking to upgrade my dap, and was wondering about any recommendations for mainly classical and vocal music?
What’s your budget? Can’t go wrong with a Sony DAP to pair with M9. If you need streaming, then ZX507 is a good option. Or if you don’t need streaming, then ZX300 or WM1A if your budget allows :)

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,398 of 3,155
What’s your budget? Can’t go wrong with a Sony DAP to pair with M9. If you need streaming, then ZX507 is a good option. Or if you don’t need streaming, then ZX300 or WM1A if your budget allows :)
trying to keep it under a grand :D
also, do you know what A&K stuff sounds like with the m9? living in korea atm ^^

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #1,399 of 3,155
trying to keep it under a grand :D
also, do you know what A&K stuff sounds like with the m9? living in korea atm ^^
Only tried Kann Alpha and SP2000. Out of the two, I would choose Kann Alpha for M9. SP2000 sounds a little too dry and analytical to my ears, whereas Kann Alpha sounds a bit more musical with M9 :)

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #1,401 of 3,155
What's the difference between the M7 and M9 cable? They look identical but the M9 cable is slightly more expensive. Also, would it be worth getting the Z1R cable at all? Does it have nicer build quality or something compared to the M9 cable?

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #1,404 of 3,155
What's the difference between the M7 and M9 cable? They look identical but the M9 cable is slightly more expensive. Also, would it be worth getting the Z1R cable at all? Does it have nicer build quality or something compared to the M9 cable?
M7:
Silver-coated OFC:
Silver-coated oxygen-free copper cables minimize resistance and signal-transmission loss. The result is less sound degradation, finer detail and smoother treble sounds.

Headphone cable(Approx. 1.2 m, silver-coated OFC strands, ear hanger, L-shaped gold-plated stereo mini plug)
Balanced-connection headphone cable(Approx. 1.2 m, silver-coated OFC strands, ear hanger, L-shaped gold-plated balanced standard plug)

M9:
Silver-coated OFC:
Silver-coated oxygen-free copper cables minimize resistance and signal-transmission loss. The result is less sound degradation, finer detail and smoother treble sounds.

Natural silk thread and non-magnetic undercoat plug:
The IER-M9 uses natural silk thread as a cable insulator. This natural fiber works as a absorber against vibration and prevents rustling or bumping noises when you touch the cord. The gold plating of the plug has a non-magnetic undercoat which transfers the signal preserving subtle nuances.

Headphone cable(Approx. 1.2 m, silver-coated OFC strands, ear hanger, L-shaped non-magnetic gold-plated stereo mini plug)
Balanced-connection headphone cable(Approx. 1.2 m, silver-coated OFC strands, ear hanger, L-shaped non-magnetic gold-plated balanced standard plug)

Z1R:
Same as M9 cable, but including twisted pair wiring ensures clean signal transmission. Twisted pair wiring is used for common mode rejection of magnetic interference.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #1,405 of 3,155
well, just got the zx507s for the streaming and enjoying them right now :D now im interested in how the z1r and viento-r sound in comparison. guess there is only one way to find out....

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #1,407 of 3,155
The Z1R cable is an instant upgrade to the M9 cable (when using on the M9) to my ears. The subbass goes deeper, better soundstage depth, and overall sounds "cleaner". It is a must try if you want to experience great sounding cable that you can actually wear out and about (unlike those "audiophile" 8-core springy shiny thousand dollar scams. All you are gonna hear from them is the shirt noise).

The best sounding cable in this category I have heard is the Onso iect_06, which bests the Z1R cable in the midrange. Yet it triples the price of the Z1R cable.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,410 of 3,155
Which one sounds smoother in the upper-mids and treble between the M7 and M9? Also, which one has a better quality to those regions (more refined, less metallic texture)?
I got my M9 finally after having the M7 for a couple of months and the M7 definitely sounds smoother, or at least more laid-back. More upper mid/treble detail on the M9 which gives it more of a sibilant quality (but it is still NOT a sibilant IEM in my opinion -- it doesn't cross that line that puts it in "sibilant" territory, it's just further in that direction than the M7). As for quality, M9 no doubt, but I still love the way the M7 sounds, it's honestly not that far off the M9. I've seen the M9 often described as substantially more detailed and better than the M7, but IMO the difference is more on the modest side.

I also find the bass on the M9 tighter/more taut/more detailed. On the M7 the bass is a little more boomy but still quite clean.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back