Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 18, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,366 of 3,155
Finally got around to finishing my review:

Would appreciate feedback if any

So I just re-ordered an IER-M9... in part due to you.

3rd time coming back to the M9 - it remains my favorite tuned iem, EVER.

I currently own KSE1500, Z1R, MEST, EX1000 - have owned or extensively had on hand: Odin, A8000, U12T, Nio, Elysium, VE8, Fourte Noir, Fourte, U18T, Andro 2020, Solaris 2020, Solaris, etc etc

IER-M9 remains the best tuning of the bunch - full stop, and not far from TOTL in resolution/detail. Sometimes, and especially with iem, all that detail isn't necessary for musical enjoyment.

And lastly, finally admitting this after so many years. I've always been anti-Sony for most audio. But when it comes to iem's, they are the king of today's market. IER series are a masterclass of engineering and standard-setting sound at their pricepoints.

I can't wait for whatever next gen iem's they will bring to market - it will be monstrous I'm sure.

Lastly lastly, as someone who considers cable changes sometimes effective, I absolutely recommend not using the stock cable. I can 100% vouch for ALO Super Litz having a significant scale up in clarity and dynamics as well and transient speed. I've parted ways from 4.4 sources and also happen to have a super litz available for whomever trusts me (have a backup in 3.5 i'm keeping) :)

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 18, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,367 of 3,155
So I just re-ordered an IER-M9... in part due to you.

3rd time coming back to the M9 - it remains my favorite tuned iem, EVER.

I currently own KSE1500, Z1R, MEST, EX1000 - have owned or extensively had on hand: Odin, A8000, U12T, Nio, Elysium, VE8, Fourte Noir, Fourte, U18T, Andro 2020, Solaris 2020, Solaris, etc etc

IER-M9 remains the best tuning of the bunch - full stop, and not far from TOTL in resolution/detail. Sometimes, and especially with iem, all that detail isn't necessary for musical enjoyment.

And lastly, finally admitting this after so many years. I've always been anti-Sony for most audio. But when it comes to iem's, they are the king of today's market. IER series are a masterclass of engineering and standard-setting sound at their pricepoints.

I can't wait for whatever next gen iem's they will bring to market - it will be monstrous I'm sure.

Lastly, as someone who considers cable changes sometimes effective, I absolutely recommend not using the stock cable. I can 100% vouch for ALO Super Litz having a significant scale up in clarity and dynamics as well and transient speed. I've parted ways from 4.4 sources and also happen to have a super litz available for whomever trusts me (have a backup in 3.5 i'm keeping) :)
Sounds good! 👌🏻

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,368 of 3,155
(...) Lastly lastly, as someone who considers cable changes sometimes effective, I absolutely recommend not using the stock cable. I can 100% vouch for ALO Super Litz having a significant scale up in clarity and dynamics as well and transient speed.
Hello @dleblanc343; out of curiosity, where are you shipping from and how much are you asking for the Super Litz? (feel free to PM)

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,369 of 3,155
RNI-Films-IMG-194270C3-D859-419B-81AD-2EB9D4D1E32A.JPG
Sony IER-M9

RNI-Films-IMG-3A751C6E-2DC4-439E-B5CD-318EB3A74009.JPG
Smooth yet Detailed

RNI-Films-IMG-452926F6-9723-4866-BC72-20B685281139.JPG
Puuurfection?​

Received them yesterday with a ZX507 — I missed my ZX300 too much not to give Sony another shot…

Very pleased so far. Just glad I had the Final E tips on hand — they saved these IEM for me as their nozzle is a bit on the short side.

Too bad these triple comfort tips are too short and remove some of the low-end for me… ‘cause the texture they have is just indecent 😅

My latest piece on Sony's ZX507 ✕ IER-M9 pairing is out!

Saying that I am floored would be an understatement.

Here's an excerpt from the conclusion:

[...]
In a hobby and market where boutique and niche became the norm, it’s easy to forget the old giants with their plain packaging and pretty much non-existent marketing in opposition to boutique and chi-fi brands aggressively advertising at every dedicated corner of the audiophile world.
[...]
One just hopes that Sony will keep going and not stop there. With an IEM and DAP approaching three years of age, they have been the silent professionals. They get the job done and excel in doing so, quietly.
[...]

This unexpected discovery also forces me to move to The Vagrant Audiophile's next phase, i.e. actually writing about music -- well sort of :p

The next piece will be on music and its importance during the Vietnam War as well as its depiction in popular culture. Stand by.

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,370 of 3,155
My latest piece on Sony's ZX507 ✕ IER-M9 pairing is out!

Saying that I am floored would be an understatement.

Here's an excerpt from the conclusion:

[...]
In a hobby and market where boutique and niche became the norm, it’s easy to forget the old giants with their plain packaging and pretty much non-existent marketing in opposition to boutique and chi-fi brands aggressively advertising at every dedicated corner of the audiophile world.
[...]
One just hopes that Sony will keep going and not stop there. With an IEM and DAP approaching three years of age, they have been the silent professionals. They get the job done and excel in doing so, quietly.
[...]

This unexpected discovery also forces me to move to The Vagrant Audiophile's next phase, i.e. actually writing about music -- well sort of :p

The next piece will be on music and its importance during the Vietnam War as well as its depiction in popular culture. Stand by.

Very nice review! I love my M9 - IE900 do now get more use but I really enjoy focused sessions with the M9.

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,372 of 3,155
If you don't mind, how would you compare the M9 to the IE900, in a few words?

IE900 much more fun, energetic, better soundstage but still does an incredible job with details. When I switch to M9, it initially feels quite dull but I ultimately tune in again and appreciate its signature. I love both but prefer IE900 as an all-rounder.

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #1,373 of 3,155
IE900 much more fun, energetic, better soundstage but still does an incredible job with details. When I switch to M9, it initially feels quite dull but I ultimately tune in again and appreciate its signature. I love both but prefer IE900 as an all-rounder.
Does IE900 use normal MMCX connector?

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #1,375 of 3,155
Jun 21, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,376 of 3,155

Thanks, I'll be curious to hear the IE900 -- but... the IE900 won't be for me reading your description and I'm happy I stuck to the M9 as I nearly got the IE900 instead.

The M9 are plenty of fun for me :wink:

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,377 of 3,155
Jun 21, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,378 of 3,155
Recessed?

I'm not sure exactly why, I know the logic is a more secure connection. There are a couple of brands already selling alternatives too.

@ducnsh - as noted above, some options already on the market. Presumably Sennheiser don't offer upgrades as potential market not big enough maybe? I've ordered a Brise Audio cable for mine, should be with me tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,379 of 3,155
Trying out the JVC Spiral Dot ++ on these for the first time, man I dont like how they murder the crispness of drum rolls. Its a shame as they're million times more comfortable than the stock eartips. Any suggestions for eartips with the same bore size as the stock tips? I had no idea what my next move is. So far I'm considering Sedna and their Xelastec variant, Acoustune eartips, Final E and the original Spiral Dot

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back