Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #1,021 of 3,155
Your ps is absolutely right - I was very conscious of that and I've only really started to get to know 2 of the sets I've bought, let alone the N3... thanks for that, you've put the brakes on my addictive urge and saved me from some challenging discussions!

I am debating selling some other headphones in the new year, I've more Bluetooth than I need and generating some cash there would be a perfect justification.

Just a quick personal opinion :
if you want an end game on IEM, ier-z1r will be a good choice if money isn't an issue.
z1r provides the smooth / detail / staging of M9, on top with one of, if not, the best DD bass u can get.
The fit issue of z1r can be fixed with customized tips (ex. adv)
I don't know what your setup is, but z1r is hard to drive well.
(Wm1z only gives 80% of z1r's potential, missing 20% is on bass control / speed )

I currently own ier-z1r, m9, xelento, se846, driving with Wm1z

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #1,022 of 3,155
Just a quick personal opinion :
if you want an end game on IEM, ier-z1r will be a good choice if money isn't an issue.
z1r provides the smooth / detail / staging of M9, on top with one of, if not, the best DD bass u can get.
The fit issue of z1r can be fixed with customized tips (ex. adv)
I don't know what your setup is, but z1r is hard to drive well.
(Wm1z only gives 80% of z1r's potential, missing 20% is on bass control / speed )

I currently own ier-z1r, m9, xelento, se846, driving with Wm1z

Thanks for that. Not sure I'd go as high as that for now - still torn on the M9 though. I have the ZX300 and ZX507 which I assume would drive the M9 well?

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #1,023 of 3,155
I know a couple people that used to drive the M9 and Z1r with ZX300 with no problems.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,024 of 3,155
Dec 24, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #1,026 of 3,155
Your ps is absolutely right - I was very conscious of that and I've only really started to get to know 2 of the sets I've bought, let alone the N3... thanks for that, you've put the brakes on my addictive urge and saved me from some challenging discussions!

I am debating selling some other headphones in the new year, I've more Bluetooth than I need and generating some cash there would be a perfect justification.

If you’re enjoying the N3’s you should listen to what the IER z1r’s sound like. They take that DD sound to the next level. To me the M9’s are more for a musician on stage needing to hear the instruments in their right places. The Z1r’s are the lay back and enjoy the Sony house sound type of IEM’s that took the best of Z5’s and N3’s and combined them into a gem of an IEM.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #1,027 of 3,155
The last few paragraphs , he's seems not favorable to M9.

Nevertheless, I am 80% on M9 ... though it has similar BA as Andros, the latter sounds thin on sub bass, heard M9 generates best bass among BA's IEMs.
Jump on the bandwagon, hope I am not late. :D

Dec 24, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,029 of 3,155
Dec 24, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,030 of 3,155
Just received my M9, and love it very much.
The bass, said BA bass, but its extension is so good, and punchy with full body, it feels very realistic.
Hearing is believing, description in review cannot describe enough.
And the mid is sweet, the sound is clear.
If this is Sony tuning, I love it.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #1,031 of 3,155
How are these lying down actually? They look very neat in the ear. There's a justification if I ever heard one for spending >€700 😜
How are these lying down actually? They look very neat in the ear. There's a justification if I ever heard one for spending >€700 😜
you just got your n3 right? I would first check how you like it. I got m9 cause I saw a discount and went for it. As much as I like the sound signature, I prefer way more any dd headphone. I’m more of having that slam and air. The m9 bass is good but still
It’s a ba sound, the n3 has an amazing feel Cause of its dd, 700 quids ain’t worth it cause of curiosity, I would definitely check some other ba headphone before spending that cash

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,032 of 3,155
you just got your n3 right? I would first check how you like it. I got m9 cause I saw a discount and went for it. As much as I like the sound signature, I prefer way more any dd headphone. I’m more of having that slam and air. The m9 bass is good but still
It’s a ba sound, the n3 has an amazing feel Cause of its dd, 700 quids ain’t worth it cause of curiosity, I would definitely check some other ba headphone before spending that cash

Haven't tried the N3 even yet, my Christmas present! You are right though and thanks for putting the brakes on - definitely a case of FOMO with these. I need to enjoy the N3 (which I've no doubt I will) and continue research for whatever next at a later date. Cheers.

Dec 24, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,033 of 3,155
Haven't tried the N3 even yet, my Christmas present! You are right though and thanks for putting the brakes on - definitely a case of FOMO with these. I need to enjoy the N3 (which I've no doubt I will) and continue research for whatever next at a later date. Cheers.
I know how it feels, I had the “I need that now!” Syndrome as well, until a couple of purchases started to be like “mmmm... I Think I could’ve skip this one...”

Dec 24, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,034 of 3,155
I know how it feels, I had the “I need that now!” Syndrome as well, until a couple of purchases started to be like “mmmm... I Think I could’ve skip this one...”

Well it's good to learn from those who have gone before me! - I almost bought the MDR-Z7M2 also today - I am more in need of a full size closed back headphone to compliment the ZX507 - held off though as need to research more and I'm sure there will be deals after Christmas. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 24, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #1,035 of 3,155
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back