Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Sep 24, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #901 of 3,204
Just when I got VERY excited about my M9s, what should arrive but Thie Audio Monarchs. What. Yes, I did order them. I will have lots of fun breaking in these two TOTL IEMs in the next two weeks. THESE are the last IEMs I am buying in 2020!! I Swear !!

Nice!
I have to say the M9 have grown tremendously on me and are now my clear favorite in the collection.
The Monarch sounds very interesting!
I am really curious how it will compare to the M9. I recently got the Moondrop Blessing 2 and while the tuning is undoubtedly very good, they sound somewhat rougher and grittier, more "digital" than the M9, which combine detail and resolution with a smoothness and clarity that allows me to enjoy the music considerably more.

I only recently became aware that Crinacle is doing all his comparisons with simple sources like the BTR5 and am trying to figure out how that compares to what I am hearing with my CHORD Mojo.

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #902 of 3,204
Nice!
I have to say the M9 have grown tremendously on me and are now my clear favorite in the collection.
I am really curious how it will compare to the M9. I recently got the Moondrop Blessing 2 and while the tuning is undoubtedly very good, they sound somewhat rougher and grittier, more "digital" than the M9, which combine detail and resolution with a smoothness and clarity that allows me to enjoy the music considerably more.

I only recently became aware that Crinacle is doing all his comparisons with simple sources like the BTR5 and am trying to figure out how that compares to what I am hearing with my CHORD Mojo.
I do also use the BTr5 a lot, more than my AK100 these days. It sounds great and is convenient. Mojo is a nice amp/dac, I think is more of a taste of sound signature, Mojo is an warm source compared to the BTr5 that tends more to the neutral side.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #903 of 3,204
Nice!

Yeah, the m9 took sometime to get used to it. The first time i used the m9, i feel like it lack of dynamic/musicality thus make it a bit boring iem. But then, after hours of "ear burning" it started to grown on me and i started to like the m9 overall presentation of the sound that is neutral/balance with a tad bit of warm.

What i really appreciate about the m9 is the fit and isolation. It fits almost near like a CIEM plus the sound isolation is crazy good.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #904 of 3,204
I do also use the BTr5 a lot, more than my AK100 these days. It sounds great and is convenient. Mojo is a nice amp/dac, I think is more of a taste of sound signature, Mojo is an warm source compared to the BTr5 that tends more to the neutral side.
What do you think about the regular hiby r3? Is it more of a warm or a neutral dap/dac?

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #905 of 3,204
What do you think about the regular hiby r3? Is it more of a warm or a neutral dap/dac?
I have the R3 and find it a bit cold and sterile. It has a very clean sound but somehow lacks soul IMO.
This is compared to the Cayin N3, which was less clean but more musical.
But the R3 works really well as a transport for Mojo. Mojo is very clean, smooth and detailed, very engaging, with very good micro and macro dynamics and soundstage. The smoothness makes it sound warmer, even though it measures with only a tiny roll off in the extreme treble.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #906 of 3,204
Here it goes... you have your detailed answer from someone that has it today. Much better answer than I could ever give. :)

My 0.02, I thought it was a nice signature DAP, warm an engaging. But I sold it really quick as I needed Tidal offline. I didn't know Tidal offline wouldn't be available on the R3 ever when I bought it during the Indigogo campaign. They kept promising during the campaign, but looks like Tidal closed the door for them. It was a shame because I really liked it. I did have some hope when they announced the Hiby R3 Pro, but again, no Tidal offline.

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #907 of 3,204
Sorry guys, I only use a proper DAP. Especially when breaking in, I use Sony ZX 300 because it has the longest lasting battery by far. I also use Hiby R 3 Pro Saber, R 6 Pro and iBasso DX 228 as well as my A & K SE 200. My adaptors to use 2.5 balanced with my 4.4 balanced DAPs and visa, versa are by DD.

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #908 of 3,204
FYI The M9 has a recessed MMCX connection. This may have discouraged several of you owners from trying aftermarket upgrade cables on it . This morning, I tried a PlusSound cable and a Norne cable on my M9 when I changed DAP. Neither the Norne nor the PlusSound would fit in the connector recess. On the other hand, my cheaper Penon cables worked nicely. I started with a Penon GD 849 yesterday which is gold plated copper and switched to their great all round silver and copper cable the OS 849 this morning.The GD is $229 and the OS is $129 on their website.
I have also ordered the Sony/Kimber cable. It appears to be a nice cable.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #909 of 3,204
Campfire Audio cables will work due to their smaller connectors fitting within the sleeve, although you may have a harder time unplugging them. As always, be sure to grip the connector ends themselves when removing, do not pull on the cable itself.

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #910 of 3,204
I’ve been using the Kimber for my M9 for nearly a year now I think. I needed to try out a 3.5mm source so I swapped out the Kimber for the stock 3.5 cable. I will not be going back to the Kimber. The stock cable is one of the most comfortable and softest cables I’ve ever used. I wish I had over ear headphone cables that were this soft/flexible. It is THE best cable I’ve ever used. I definitely feel like any SQ improvements from the Kimber are purely placebo.

The ear hooks are deteriorating on the stock 4.4 cable but I don’t even care anymore. I’m sticking with the stock from now on.

I do wholeheartedly recommend everyone to try out the SpiralDot++ tips from JVC. The “++” is important. I did not like the original SpiralDots with the M9. I feel like the updated SpiralDots open up the midrange more, most definitely.

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #911 of 3,204
FYI The M9 has a recessed MMCX connection. This may have discouraged several of you owners from trying aftermarket upgrade cables on it . This morning, I tried a PlusSound cable and a Norne cable on my M9 when I changed DAP. Neither the Norne nor the PlusSound would fit in the connector recess. On the other hand, my cheaper Penon cables worked nicely. I started with a Penon GD 849 yesterday which is gold plated copper and switched to their great all round silver and copper cable the OS 849 this morning.The GD is $229 and the OS is $129 on their website.
I have also ordered the Sony/Kimber cable. It appears to be a nice cable.
Is this cable compactible with the m9? It uses pure silver material, looks interesting :k701smile:

Screenshot_20200925-021651_AliExpress.png

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #912 of 3,204
Is this cable compactible with the m9? It uses pure silver material, looks interesting :k701smile:

Let's see. A $1000 + IEM and a $16.66 cable. It is a nice cheap cable. I bought one to go with a Blon-03 that I am giving as a present to a friend for this Christmas, but it hasn't arrived yet. It got good recommendations on the Blon thread. I hope the male MMCX connectors can fit the Sony recess.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #913 of 3,204

I have a couple of pure silver cables and out of curiosity your question made me test the best one with the IER-M9.
(It is a DIY cable, using PTFE insulated 7N silver conductors, shown here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15647777)
This cable has a pretty clear influence on the JVC FD02 for which I built it orginally.

I changed many times between this and the IER-Z1R cable that I am using, and I did not come to a conclusive result about the cable making a difference.
(BTW - I use the Z1R cable for other reasons than sound quality)

So honestly I'd just stick to the stock cable. I read a lot about the M9 but most comments I saw about the cables is that the stock is great and people did not hear improvements with after market cables.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #914 of 3,204
Let's see. I have tried 4 different cables on my breaking in M9 since yesterday. The stock, Penon GD849, Penon OS 849 and Penon Leo Plus. OS was decent and so was GD. Stock cable in 4.4 was meh. I like a dynamic sound like live. The best was Penon Leo Plus. New, right out of the box. The M9 strutted its stuff including a wide soundstage and pinpoint imaging of instruments. A very good musical experience and they ain't even broken in yet. I have been doing my usual breakin, not really listening to the breaking in IEM or headphone and just listening for a minute when I change DAPs. So I have just tried these cables for one song each and I do not want to disconnect Leo Plus. It was the same way with my Moondrop Blessing 2s. Just could not get past Leo+.

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #915 of 3,204
Dumb Duplicate!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back