Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Sep 14, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #871 of 3,155
Thanks! How does the sound compare to the stock M9 cable? I plan to buy new cables as the stock one that came with mine now has some cosmetic damage..
I remember Z1r sounding better for my taste, not sure how much. Sold them almost an year ago.

@Damz87 had them lately and he may have fresher comments.

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #872 of 3,155
Thanks! How does the sound compare to the stock M9 cable? I plan to buy new cables as the stock one that came with mine now has some cosmetic damage..

Honestly I didn't hear much of a difference between the M9 & Z1R cables. If anything, the Z1R cable was slightly more analytical in tone and the upper mids/lower treble a touch more emphasised. But not very noticeable.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #875 of 3,155
It’s been 2 months since I got my M9 and I have not made a secret of my initial impression that I missed the bass volume and power of my DD IEMs and the DUNU Luna I had at that time for testing.
I think I should report back that the M9 have grown more and more on me, and I now naturally gravitate to them for my listening sessions. I learned to turn up the volume on the Mojo about 5 clicks compared to the EX1k, and get rewarded with a beautiful, detailed and lively musical experience. I have detected opera as a new genre. The M9 delivers really amazingly detailed and textured music which sounds natural at the same time. No graininess, natural but tight attack and decay and great separation and staging. Also the bass is satisfying and while it does not have the impact of the EX1k it is extended and much more textured and detailed.

I am happy with the M9 and feel that it was worth giving myself time to adjust. Will be getting a CHORD Hugo 2 in a week and am looking forward to hearing even more what the M9 can do!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #877 of 3,155
Thanks guys! I appreciate the valueable feedback..

PS - does anyone know where to get JVC Spiral Dots tips in Large size (online)? Amazon ran out months ago..
While you're at it, you might want to consider the spiral dots ++ instead of the spiral dot. It gives the M9 a more open and textured mids.

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #879 of 3,155
Kimber kable enhances the sound by a big margin, more resolution more tonally better sounding overall and its so good to a point where its simply not fun listening to stock cable vs the custom

Hi,

This is the Sony released “M12SB1” in collaboration with Kimber right? Is around $190 for these a good deal brand new?

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #880 of 3,155
Kimber kable enhances the sound by a big margin, more resolution more tonally better sounding overall and its so good to a point where its simply not fun listening to stock cable vs the custom

Sorry @Vitaly2017 but I don't agree at all. The difference between stock M9 cable and kimber cable is not a big margin. It is a minor difference, bordering on placebo to my ears. I'm a believer of cables affecting sound and have heard differences with other cables/IEM's but in the case of the kimber and stock M9 cable, I don't believe it's a significant improvement sonically. The kimber is a nice cable though, it's well made and feels high quality. Also the lack of ear hooks could be more comfortable than the stock cables for some people. I actually find it quite comfortable with my IER-Z1R's.

However, I will note that I do hear a noticeable difference between the stock and kimber cables on the MDR-Z1R.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #881 of 3,155
I wrote a review of the Sony IER-M9 here, with comparisons my my custom Viento-B from Hidition: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2020/09/sony-ier-m9-review.html

Thanks to @tma6 for allowing me a couple weeks to play around with them on loan!

P1040659.JPG

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #882 of 3,155
My M9 arrives today. Has anyone here tried any other cable other than the Kimber . Are the stock and Kimber both copper cables?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #883 of 3,155
I've been highly considering an IEM change from my Noble K10 Encore to either the M9 or the 64 Audio Nio. Can anyone confirm that the IER-M9's can be driven to high volumes using a Sony NW-ZX2? It's my main DAP that I use aside from my Hiby R3 Pro. Would I be better off getting something like the WM1A or the FIIO M15 so that I could use the balanced cable?

Sep 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #884 of 3,155
I've been highly considering an IEM change from my Noble K10 Encore to either the M9 or the 64 Audio Nio. Can anyone confirm that the IER-M9's can be driven to high volumes using a Sony NW-ZX2? It's my main DAP that I use aside from my Hiby R3 Pro. Would I be better off getting something like the WM1A or the FIIO M15 so that I could use the balanced cable?
I had the output limited version EU version of the NW-ZX2 for a while and it was only able to drive more efficient IEMs reasonably well.
I have the R3 (non-pro) and it can drive the M9 to painful levels in high gain, single ended. (SQ is quite bad though)

Sep 22, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #885 of 3,155
Why not a HiBy R6 Pro. The aluminum ones are very reasonable. Has good power and S/Q. The gray aluminum ones are $479 on Amazon. You pay extra for Black and stainless steel. Sounds the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back